Nexus 7 screen dimming

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I have an issue watching videos (especially YouTube) on my Nexus 7. When I have the screen brightness far below 50%, in landscape/full screen mode, my screen will become dark within seconds. Apart from keeping up the brightness, how can I prevent this and who else has this problem?

Sent from my (otherwise) awesome Nexus 7!

balus3u

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Install the app trickster mod app and enable smart dimmer. There is something else called nvidia prism or something but that's a paid app and that also does the same thing .you need root access .

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1351409835103.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351409835103.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 59

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I appreciate the answer and that looks perfect. Unfortunately though, I'm not rooted and I don't won't to lose my data by rooting.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Yde

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Sv: Nexus 7 screen dimming

What is your screen time out set to? Try and up it. The screen will dim prior to shutting off, so that might help.

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Initially I thought that might be the problem but I don't think so as I have it set to 5 mins and it dims within seconds. Also, it only dims in landscape/fullscreen mode.

Sent from my Nexus 7

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
It almost seems to be auto-brightness or something. Mind you, I don't have Auto-brightness on and all other functions seems fine. Sometimes it happens while using MX-Player too.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Last edited:

lchen5

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem when playing youtube in landscape mode or full screen.
My brightness was not set to auto. It's set about 50%, and time out is set to 10 minutes. The screen starts dimming in 3-5 seconds, and turns to completely black in just 2-3 seconds.
I cannot see the video but still can hear the audio. If I change the screen back to portrait mode, the screen slowly turns on.

Overall, my N7 screen was quite dark. If I set the brightness to 20% or lower, I won't be about to see anything(like completely black).
I am wondering if I should send to ASUS for RMA.

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem when playing youtube in landscape mode or full screen.
My brightness was not set to auto. It's set about 50%, and time out is set to 10 minutes. The screen starts dimming in 3-5 seconds, and turns to completely black in just 2-3 seconds.
I cannot see the video but still can hear the audio. If I change the screen back to portrait mode, the screen slowly turns on.

Overall, my N7 screen was quite dark. If I set the brightness to 20% or lower, I won't be about to see anything(like completely black).
I am wondering if I should send to ASUS for RMA.

That's exactly the same for me. Mind you, it only happens below 50% brightness. It's a pain as I don't want to turn up my screen brightness just to watch a video every now and then...
I wish there was an easy fix.

Sent from my Nexus 7

shona001

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't have this problem but wondered if you have tried a brightness app, 'Brightness level' by Curvefish is free with a widget and has good reviews, I wonder if that would stop it from dimming.

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't have this problem but wondered if you have tried a brightness app, 'Brightness level' by Curvefish is free with a widget and has good reviews, I wonder if that would stop it from dimming.

Thanks, I'll check it out after school.

Sent from my Nexus 7

sr2012

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Install the app trickster mod app and enable smart dimmer. There is something else called nvidia prism or something but that's a paid app and that also does the same thing .you need root access .

Awesome! Thanks. Works now... It was the Smart Dimmer that was messing with the brightness during the video (Flash in this case). Nexus 7" 4.2.1 rooted.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Just to throw a few things from another thread on the same issue.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-7-tablet-forum/225227-4-2-auto-brightness-bug-3.html

I've been observing issues with the ambient light sensor for a while, and the 4.2 software has made it a lot worse. Under 300lux, it's very inconsistent even in absolutely constant ambient light. "Custom Auto Brightness" has allowed me to keep some level of automatic brightness adjustment, or you can choose one of many quick-brightness-switching apps and turn off auto brightness.

The factory-preset auto brightness has never been stellar on this device, but the driver for the ambient light sensor has some serious problems in 4.2.

Thankfully this is not a critical defect - just an annoying one.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1