Normal time you have to hold down power button to turn on?? Please help!

bcnpesa

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I recently got my Nexus 7 16gb and love it. I turned it off one night during charging, and that morning it was supposed to rain. I put it in a very large ziplock bag in my back pack, just in case. (I have done this for my iphone when going to concerts with no problems). When I got to school and tried to turn it on, it would not turn on. I ended up holding the power button down, and around 20 seconds the "Google" logo appeared.

Since it is so new, I think that may have been the first time I ever turned it off. I just want to know if this is the normal amount of time you all have to hold down your power buttons? It seems more like this is a reboot time than an normal amount of time to have to hold down the power. I tried again today after having it turned off over night, and it still took around 20 seconds.

Please let me know what you all think.

Thanks!

DogPsyche

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Yep it's happened once with mine after charging in a month of daily use. Not too worried about it unless it starts happening more often.

~Jaqi~
Sent from my lovely Nexus 7

Dubbin1

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
I have to hold down the power button for a long time almost every time I turn it on. My solution, I don't turn it off unless I feel it needs a restart.

odd1ne

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I crapped myself first time I turned it off it takes like 40 seconds sometimes

Sent from my HTC Desire using Android Central Forums

tabletnovice

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't have the quick start guide available but recall that it mentions holding down the on/off button for 30 seconds, so it's normal. Check out the guide.

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't have the quick start guide available but recall that it mentions holding down the on/off button for 30 seconds, so it's normal. Check out the guide.

Stupid google books won't let me copy but it says "a few seconds" so definitely not normal. 30 seconds is what I would associate with a hard reset (or hard reboot) as opposed to a factory reset.

tabletnovice

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Stupid google books won't let me copy but it says "a few seconds" so definitely not normal. 30 seconds is what I would associate with a hard reset (or hard reboot) as opposed to a factory reset.

I recall that the quick start guide (not the pdf manual) definitely says 30 seconds under certain circumstances. The original poster wrote: "When I got to school and tried to turn it on, it would not turn on," so obviously something is going on. As I understand it, it is a hard reset. The quick start guide is the small pamphlet that came in the box with the Nexus7. If you have the pamphlet, check it out.

a1kemist

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I'd say no more than 5 seconds. I don't keep track but I think normally between 2-3 seconds for me if the device was shut off. Around 30 seconds for a hard reset.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Holding the power button for 3 seconds will turn on a correctly shut down Nexus 7. Holding the power button down for 15+ seconds will force a hard shut down and is needed rarely when the device gets stuck or frozen for some reason. If it is required for every boot of your Nexus 7 your device is not fully shutting down properly.

nikrepka

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I experience this issue frequently. Any ideas for why the device wouldn't be shutting down properly? I noticed the issue doesn't occur if I shut off the device with the charger plugged in...

eMarkable

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I got a first produced Google (Asus) Nexus 7 32GB. It worked fine for about two Months and then I had to hold the power button for well over 40 seconds. This can and does cause finger cramps. Now almost every time it goes off I have to hold the button for about 42 seconds. Sometimes I have gone over a minute with no success then wait a moment and try again for 42 seconds and it would present the black and white Google startup screen. There is not cause to shout or gnash teeth, but surely some cooler heads should prevail. This is not normal. I cannot believe it was designed this way. I have used Asus products with great results for a score (two decades) and find it hard to believe that the Asus processor and a Linux based Google created OS that boots reliably in my Evo and Optimus smartphones EVERY TIME could possibly have this much trouble simply starting. Come on, you apply a low or high signal to a chip and they start. What is so different here? Why has no one asked, "What gives?" Why is Google not taking ownership of this issue? I have needed information contained in my Google Nexus 7 and had to tell customers I would get it later because I could not quickly access the OS (Jelly Bean 4.2.1 at present). Let's ask why and see if a firmware upgrade can be made to fix this. One more thing, my Asus Transformer TF101 occasionally had the same issue but I know of no other tablet afflicted with "Slow On Disease" (SOD).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khalio1234