New 32GB Nexus 7 - Light leak and other questions?

aarora610

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Anyone seeing this on their Nexus? It's not as apparent as the one I previously had on the 16 GB.

289E901A-118D-4C94-A878-8F421E86343B-218-000000D0F65F8401.jpg

Also.. on apps like WSJ, I am surprised that the fonts arent thicker? Even if you make them bigger, they're still kinda thin. Is that the result of it being not optimized for a tablet? Or something that they may address down the road?

aarora610

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Also found that the rubberized back is loose and creaky. Rather disappointed. Say what you want about this being "only" $250, you'd hope they would get better the second time

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, if it bothers you enough, return it. If you can live with it, keep it. Not really sure what type of "help" there is for a hardware issue, especially one like this which some people seem extremely bothered by and others don't even notice...

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
My understanding is that pretty much all tablets suffer from _some_ light bleed. Again, it all comes down to personal preferences and how much it bothers you. Obviously, it will be most noticeable on a black background. It's very hard to tell how bad it is from your photo but based on what I can see, I would not say it's unusual.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
"Anyone seeing this?"... what?

I'm not trying to be facetious, I'm just trying to figure out what problem you are pointing out. I'm assuming the fact that the fonts are blurred to unreadability and the icons are whited out has to do with a slow shutter photo in the dark and the resulting blurring and loss of contrast. If your fonts/icons really do look that bad under normal use, you got a bad one. REALLY bad. Take it back immediately.

Are you referring to the ever-so-slightly brighter bit up around one of the LED emitters (above the WIDGETS on the upper-left of the screen)? If so, this form of "light bleed" is perfectly normal for an LED-backlit LCD screen. Whenever you have a "point" light source, it's going to be imperfectly diffused and this will become apparent when you run the screen very bright in low ambient light. Fortunately, under any sort of normal use, it will be pretty much invisible.

Or is there another issue you are trying to show in the picture?

aarora610

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Are you referring to the ever-so-slightly brighter bit up around one of the LED emitters (above the WIDGETS on the upper-left of the screen)? If so, this form of "light bleed" is perfectly normal for an LED-backlit LCD screen.

This.

I am no "fanboy" but I did have a light bleed issue (similar as being described here) with an iPad, took it to the store, and they swapped it out with a brand new one. Maybe I'm spoiled, maybe I'm being unreasonable.

lyate2004

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Both my wife and daughter use IPad 2's with considerable light leak (an issue much commented on when Ipad2 originally released)! Doesn't bother them at all - drove me crazy! My Nexus 32 GB is perfect in comparison!!

LIY

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

thosegiants

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I just picked up my 32gb Nexus 7 from wal-mart last night. Has anyone noticed blurry text when reading twitter posts? I'm getting the since I have a defective device which is disheartening after reading some of the horror story's people have gone through with this product...

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
No noticeable light bleed but I'm having nasty flickering issues with this unit. :(

Sent from my Nexus 7

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm not trying to be facetious, I'm just trying to figure out what problem you are pointing out. I'm assuming the fact that the fonts are blurred to unreadability and the icons are whited out has to do with a slow shutter photo in the dark and the resulting blurring and loss of contrast. If your fonts/icons really do look that bad under normal use, you got a bad one. REALLY bad. Take it back immediately.
+1 Even the iPad mini has better resolution than that.

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I have the 32GB Nexus 7, I haven't noticed any build quality issues. The back feels very solid to me, not "loose or creaky" at all. I haven't noticed any light bleed, but then again I don't use the tablet in pitch black conditions like that photo. I'll check it when I get home but i can't imagine there's anything there that would bother me since I haven't noticed it by now.

MarkFL88

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I had a 8 Gig (only for a week) and a 16 Gig both have excellent build quality. Both had no screen lift on the left side and little to no light bleed. My current 16 Gig model I just took into a dark room and brought up the same app screen. Under my normal brightness level which is under 50% probably closer to 35% I see only the slightest light bleed in the top left corner. How high do you have your brightness turned up? I agree with the other posts that almost all LCD panels like the one in the Nexus 7 have some form of light bleed but some can be worse then others. If it really bothers you and you can take it back I would until you get one you are happy with.

aarora610

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I have the 32GB Nexus 7, I haven't noticed any build quality issues. The back feels very solid to me, not "loose or creaky" at all. I haven't noticed any light bleed, but then again I don't use the tablet in pitch black conditions like that photo. I'll check it when I get home but i can't imagine there's anything there that would bother me since I haven't noticed it by now.

I don't use it in pitch black conditions either, it's just the easiest way to show it.

a1kemist

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
The picture provided by the OP is not the best, actually it's pretty awful trying to show the issue, but I am seeing slight light bleed or ghosting and slightly washed out colors on my own 32 unit. I gave in and picked up the 32 today and I can notice side by side that the screen is nothing like my original 16. It was crisp, sharp and had more contrast. I even got a second opinion on it and it was deemed the same.

There tends to be slight blur around the text. This is disappointing. I'm not sure if it takes time for the screen to burn in from use and calibrate, or just having my eyes adjust. I almost feel like I went from good to shooting myself in the foot.

imag1985.jpg

Left is my 16 and the right is my new 32. HUGE color difference. Both are set to auto brightness and side by side in the same room.

Last edited:

MarkFL88

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
That is a big difference can you take it back? That would bother me too much knowing a previous unit looked so much better? I dont think there is any kind of burn in that will make it look better. I was in the same boat i have a 16 and had a chance to return it and wait for the 32gig but my 16 is perfect so I decided to keep it and use OTG when needed.

a1kemist

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I took it back the same night and got a C9O. The colors were more in line to the 16. Not sure what to think of the newer ones. I stated to get some speaker popping this morning.. so I will see. I rebooted and not sure if its from the equalizer app but never noticed it with the 16. While I love the extra memory, my 16 seems took be the better build device. This one had minor screen lift but I think I got it back in line with the bezel.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

JKendall80

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I was an early adopter and jumped at the original 8GB unit and had it for literally 4 days before returning to Google, so I am sad to see they are still having an issue with the light leak and screen lifting. I would have hoped this was a thing of the past, but apparently not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20