Android 4.2 broadcast the contents of phone/tablet to HDTV with a Miracast

kenyee

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
What if I want to stream from my N7 to my HTPC running Windows 7? How would that work? I'm assuming I would only need Android 4.2 on the N7 and some supporting software on the HTPC... anybody have any ideas what to look for?

You don't even need that...search the store for "DLNA Server". Windows 7 can pull from DLNA devices so you just have to put your N7 on the wifi network and have it run a DLNA server.

Miracast is basically wifi to wifi device (no router)..some TV's have built-in Miracast. And yes, it sucks batteries obviously. I'm still not sure how much bandwidth it'll have. The N7 only has 2.4GHz band wifi. This is where the Kindle HD's dual MIMO antennas would help a lot...

kgdg

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
yes, that would be correct. thats how it would work.

miracase can share the screen on TV. now sure how videos and audio works. if screen can be shared i believe audio can be played from the app to TV
THanks still, ya, that's what I am thinking, if i want to listen to pandora and don't want to have to turn on the tv, i can do that since the display will be on my phone as well (screen sharing), so I can use the phone/tablet as a remote and see exactly what would have been on the tv had the tv been on.
If this is true, this is exactly what I am looking for!

One other thing to confirm:
-on the phone/tablet end, the only thing that is required is software (which will come via 4.2), there is no miracast capable h/w requirement right? The h/w requirement is only on the tv/receiver side which can be achieved with the adapter mentioned in the OP.

Reason I ask is I see TI, Qualcomm and NVIDIA have announced support for Miracast, does that mean it has to be at a hardware level in their chips or s/w?
Also, does that mean that the Nexus 10 will not be able to do this since it is using Samsung Exynos 5250, don't see Samsung's support for Miracast since they have their Allshare...(which is similar, but Samsung's implementation?)

rjj1976

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I have had the Netgear Push2tv for two days now. I plugged the HDMI cable from it into my home theater system. I have a Lenovo U300S laptop that supports WiDi that works great with the Push2tv. I really like being able to show my laptop screen on my 60" TV. I can also just have the home theater system on and play all my music from the Google cloud.

A couple of times I have lost the connection to the Push2tv device and had to reconnect, not sure what caused it. I hope that when my Nexus 7 gets the 4.2 update that the miracast works otherwise I know the Nexus 4 will when I get that in a couple of weeks.

etnpnys

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
You don't even need that...search the store for "DLNA Server". Windows 7 can pull from DLNA devices so you just have to put your N7 on the wifi network and have it run a DLNA server.

Miracast is basically wifi to wifi device (no router)..some TV's have built-in Miracast. And yes, it sucks batteries obviously. I'm still not sure how much bandwidth it'll have. The N7 only has 2.4GHz band wifi. This is where the Kindle HD's dual MIMO antennas would help a lot...

OK so I found a few but I wasn't looking so much for an app that lets me select and push something as much as I was looking for a mirroring app. Make sense? I want Angry Birds on the TV too, not just my pix/videos. To me, it doesn't even make a lot of sense to have the N7 as a server. What, I'm gonna use up my 8GB of storage to hold movies? No way. And I mean mirroring like AirPlay or exactly how it is demonstrated in the video that was posted in this thread already.

roblox84

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
dont forget this gadget support multiple devices.. you can push to TV using your laptop too.

Fak yeah. No more 20ft hdmmi cords sprawled all over the house to be able to stream movies from my lappy.

Edit..... I just read this will need wifi which I don't have. Why can't they just make things that use Bluetooth so I don't have to get wifi for 40 dollars a month. Not everyone has the privilege of having wifi.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Understandable. Internet isn't cheap. They are just coming to install it at my house Monday. 29.99 for 6 months the God knows what after. It's decent speed though 20-30 mbps.

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I got the NetGear PTV3000 that was the $59 device. I am still on Android 4.1.2 and it will connect to the PTV3000 but and I can see the PTV3000 screen on my HDTV. Problem is I think we need the Miracast/WIDI support that comes from Android 4.2 since I can connect my N7 to the PTV3000 but it doesn't log in at this point where I confirm my password of the wifi to make the handshake. Had the same issue on my new ASUS laptop that I upgraded to Windows 8 and right now I hate Windows 8 since it didn't fix the WIDI issue but gave me 50 new problems to correct.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Fak yeah. No more 20ft hdmmi cords sprawled all over the house to be able to stream movies from my lappy.

Edit..... I just read this will need wifi which I don't have. Why can't they just make things that use Bluetooth so I don't have to get wifi for 40 dollars a month. Not everyone has the privilege of having wifi.

I have the Netgear PTV3000 and it is a WiFi device from your N7 to the HDMI on your TV. I think we need Android 4.2 since I can connect my N7 to the PTV3000's Wi-Fi but can't get the handshake to start streaming a movie on my N7 to the PTV3000. Android 4.2 had the Miracast support and I hope that fixes it.

If I can get this to work then I can download movies from Play Store that are on the N7 and watch them on my HDTV.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
dont forget this gadget support multiple devices.. you can push to TV using your laptop too.

Well I have a brand new two month old ASUS with a 3rd Gen Intel I5 processor and it looks like it doesn't support WiDi since it connects to my PTV3000 but doesn't stream video or do the password handshake. Looks like my new laptop doesn't support WiDi in the Wi-Fi wireless adapter inside the laptop... BTW, I see ASUS has some laptops that does say they support WiDi but can't find that on my new laptop.

From Intel;

How to tell if you already have a compatible PC?

Type WiDi in your Windows* search bar
If your PC has built in Intel? WiDi, you will see ‘’Intel? WiDi’’ application in your search results.

How to Connect Laptop to TV with Intel? Wireless Display (WiDi)

etnpnys

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Well I have a brand new two month old ASUS with a 3rd Gen Intel I5 processor and it looks like it doesn't support WiDi since it connects to my PTV3000 but doesn't stream video or do the password handshake. Looks like my new laptop doesn't support WiDi in the Wi-Fi wireless adapter inside the laptop... BTW, I see ASUS has some laptops that does say they support WiDi but can't find that on my new laptop.

From Intel;

How to tell if you already have a compatible PC?

Type WiDi in your Windows* search bar
If your PC has built in Intel? WiDi, you will see ??Intel? WiDi?? application in your search results.

How to Connect Laptop to TV with Intel? Wireless Display (WiDi)

Don't take that to the bank. I have WiFi Direct on my laptop that I'm using right now and 'widi' gives me nothing. I'm running an i3 with a Centrino Advanced-N 6200 AGN adapter.

Southrncomfortjm

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site

You don't need wifi internet access, you just need a wifi adapter to send the signal over. With Miracast, you can beam the display from your tablet/computer to your TV using wifi signals, but *not* a wifi network or internet connection at all.

kenyee

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
And I mean mirroring like AirPlay or exactly how it is demonstrated in the video that was posted in this thread already.

Ahhh...you want "AirPlay Mirroring". That's exactly the Miracast thing we're trying to get working w/ the Netgear adapter.

I have had the Netgear Push2tv for two days now. I plugged the HDMI cable from it into my home theater system. I have a Lenovo U300S laptop that supports WiDi that works great with the Push2tv.

Excellent. That was the other reason I wanted to get the Netgear adapter. My Lenovo also supports Miracast. You need the right wifi adapter (a Centrino) as well as the right drivers. If you look at other reviews of older WiDi adapters, you'll see a lot of complaints about how finicky the drivers are...updates make it stop working, sometimes you need reinstalls, etc. Intel pimped WiDi for years, but all this flakiness has kept it from being widely adopted :-(
I'm hoping Android 4.2 fixes the Miracast issue, but I'd take it w/ a grain of salt....a lot of Android phones are advertised as being compatible w/ Bluetooth LE 4.0 now, but there are no official Android APIs, so it's bastardly 3rd party supported and pretty much only works on some Moto phones w/ some Android versions. If Miracast is going to be like that, I wouldn't hold your hopes up :-(

amsparky

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
So the adapter is just a usb that you plug in? Could I plug this into a projector and use my Nexus to project a presentation? I'm Googling it, but sometimes the answers here are easier to understand. :) Thanks!

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
The Netgear PTV3000 is a wi-fi that matchbox size unit plugs into the HDMI cable connected to the TV and uses the Wi-fi to connect to the N7 or a Wi-Di laptop. So far I haven't got it to work but just got the 4.2 update today.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
So the adapter is just a usb that you plug in? Could I plug this into a projector and use my Nexus to project a presentation? I'm Googling it, but sometimes the answers here are easier to understand. :) Thanks!

it used HDMI and not a USB. as far as the device which exist now use HDMI. USB port cant display to screen but HDMI can.

The Netgear PTV3000 is a wi-fi that matchbox size unit plugs into the HDMI cable connected to the TV and uses the Wi-fi to connect to the N7 or a Wi-Di laptop. So far I haven't got it to work but just got the 4.2 update today.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Answer to your question is here http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-4/222952-miracast-compliant-devices.html

So anyone have luck trying the Miracast with the nexus 7?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Answer to your question is here http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-4/222952-miracast-compliant-devices.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance