4.2 keyboard

hichris123

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
No, he wants the keyboard apk. Also, swype beta is free, you can download it but that is not the same as the 4.2 keyboard.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

roblox84

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm super excited for this and I can't believe they didn't ship with swype. I don't think they know how slow and annoying typing is with a stylus.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

MangoPowah

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I'll agree with the other comment on this, I haven't experienced any problems adding a new word to the dictionary. I've added at least a good dozen words with no issues. I will state that I'm doing this from a GNex, so it is possible this is a N7 related issue?

I was doing it from my HOX. It just says it failed to install every time I try on my N7 :p

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Will they have a tutorial on the keyboard? Its kind of hard to swype "off" well any word with the same letter afterwards- I can do school and good. But some words don't come up. Can any of you swipe and spell off?

a1kemist

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Will they have a tutorial on the keyboard? Its kind of hard to swype "off" well any word with the same letter afterwards- I can do school and good. But some words don't come up. Can any of you swipe and spell off?

No, I have difficulty with short double letters also. Some apps will let you select it by long holding but does not appear to work with gesture. I have problems with the word app/apps also even added to the dictionary.

I noticed the (supposed) final build is not as slick. It does not appear to be as smart and gives me a random ??? word. I wanted to type 'purchase' and it gives me the word 'pshaw'. Don't know what word that is in the English language.

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I decided to try out Swype Beta in anticipation of the official new keyboard and I have to say I'm really liking swiping instead of pecking away slowly on the keyboard. :D

Sent from my Nexus 7

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Maybe once it is released we all could come here and tell each other how to type certain words if you can get it. I love this keyboard. Makes texting and driving easy for me. I can keep my eyes on the road (don't recommend anyone to text and drive)

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I love this keyboard. Makes texting and driving easy for me. I can keep my eyes on the road (don't recommend anyone to text and drive)
You are joking about that, right?

Also, SwiftKey is coming out soon with a swipe version of their keyboard called SwiftKey Flow. It looks quite well done on their video. It will be interesting to see how it compares to the new stock Android 4.2 keyboard. SwiftKey has learned my writing pattern so well that I can't see changing back to stock, but if their new Flow keyboard can inherit the same prediction data that I've built up, I might consider upgrading to it.

SwiftKey Flow: http://www.swiftkey.net/flow/

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
You are joking about that, right?

Also, SwiftKey is coming out soon with a swipe version of their keyboard called SwiftKey Flow. It looks quite well done on their video. It will be interesting to see how it compares to the new stock Android 4.2 keyboard. SwiftKey has learned my writing pattern so well that I can't see changing back to stock, but if their new Flow keyboard can inherit the same prediction data that I've built up, I might consider upgrading to it.

SwiftKey Flow: SwiftKey Flow - Coming soon for Android?

No I'm not kiddibg. 100% serious.

Eduardo06sp

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
When I'm watching a movie, my sister is looking at the screen, while texting a thirty-second long text.

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Then please don't drive in my neighborhood. Just stay away. 100% serious.

lol well i guess you might want to start walking or taking a bus. because everyone text and drives. its something that will never stop. and for me its a safer way (for me) its not safe to text and drive period.. but if i can keep my eyes on the road and not have to constantly look down at my phone to see what key i hit.. thats good for me. i dont always text and drive. i hardly ever do it. but when i do i can keep my eyes on the road because i can swipe.

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
lol well i guess you might want to start walking or taking a bus. because everyone text and drives. its something that will never stop. and for me its a safer way (for me) its not safe to text and drive period.. but if i can keep my eyes on the road and not have to constantly look down at my phone to see what key i hit.. thats good for me. i dont always text and drive. i hardly ever do it. but when i do i can keep my eyes on the road because i can swipe.

Sorry, but I just can't seem to "lol" about this.

It's not so much your life I care about (though I certainly don't want any harm to come to you and hope you live a long and prosperous life), it's the life of the completely innocent 5 year old kid you kill while texting and driving, as you suddenly realize that you're not really endowed with special powers of concentration or superhuman texting/driving capabilities. The problem isn't just taking your eyes off the road, it's where your mind is at.

Swype or SwiftKey Flow or the new 4.2 keyboard makes no difference. If you text and drive, you're either a foolish and selfish person, or (hopefully) just completely uninformed. It's possible nothing will ever happen to you, but with your behavior the chances have increased substantially that something bad will happen. When it does, don't bother calling me for bail money (best case scenario) or your funeral expenses (hard to do when you're 6 feet under)!

Better yet, since I get the feeling you're actually a pretty good person, just don't text and drive. End of sermon.

Sent from my Nexus 7

jonathanm1978

Super-elite full-time dad
Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Everyone who texts and drives at same time seems to think they have some sort of special ability that other people just don't understand, and that they are too capable of multi tasking to ever have something happen. I've worked rescue with the volunteer FD and helped pull a couple of these out of their mangled pieces of scrap metal after they run up a tree using these super skills.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

geekymcfly

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
If it's important why not hit the voice to text. If it's not just ignore it and keep moving. Now if I were running for president, I would require that smartphone technology include proximity sensors that would automatically put smartphones into driving mode while in vehicles

"all animals are created equal but some animals are more equal than others" animal bylaws- animal farm

a1kemist

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
How about we get back on topic.

Anyone else annoyed about the final 4.2 build? I noticed if I put in a single letter word by typing, such as I or a, the gesture breaks. The next word I try to slide will not function, like it goes back to normal keyboard mode. Also the dictionary and word prediction has gone to WTF.

Starting to look forward to swiftkey slide beta.

canesknights

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site

I use Swype on my phone, and I don't know how similar it is to the 4.2 keyboard, but on my phone, if I need to repeat the same letter, I usually do a small circle or curl around that letter, and that tends to do the trick. I'm waiting for the actual release of 4.2 before I use that keyboard, so I can't tell you yet if it works on the actual keyboard. Just thought I'd share, in case it actually does work on the 4.2 keyboard too.

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I use Swype on my phone, and I don't know how similar it is to the 4.2 keyboard, but on my phone, if I need to repeat the same letter, I usually do a small circle or curl around that letter, and that tends to do the trick. I'm waiting for the actual release of 4.2 before I use that keyboard, so I can't tell you yet if it works on the actual keyboard. Just thought I'd share, in case it actually does work on the 4.2 keyboard too.

No it doesn't I figured it would have but I love swype. I mean it's getting better every day with double letter word just by me using it so much and making it the first option wheni swipe. Maybe that's what they will do instead of the circle around the letter