Can you use Amazon's Lenders Library with N7?

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm really examining HOW I use my KF lately as I get ready to possibly upgrade and give the KF to my wife.
It's mostly for browsing and reading books.
The KF SUCKS as a browser.. I mean big time. slow/laggy/etc. Hate that part.
So, the N7 looks to be a good browser.
I love getting the free books once a month on my Kindle Fire. I would surely miss this if I couldn't use it on the N7 that I'm considering gettting.
So, can you use the N7 to read the books in Lenders Library included in the Amazon Prime subscription?
Thanks!

MalachyNG

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
You can't. It's one of those things Amazon uses to differentiate their products so you would buy them. The lending library is available only for kindles

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
You can't. It's one of those things Amazon uses to differentiate their products so you would buy them. The lending library is available only for kindles

I have Amazon Prime, was disappointed in the Kindle app. Uninstalled.

Last edited:

tabletnovice

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
It may not be a suitable substitute but you can install a free app and loan eBooks and audiobooks from your library with OverDrive Media Console. You can watch Prime Movies but need to use a browser like Firefox and download flash_player_ics.apk. You can also get free (as well as paid) books with the Amazon Kindle app.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

If Amazon enabled the lending library for the kindle app, as opposed to requiring an actual kindle device, I'd already have a prime subscription.

As it is, the free 2-day shipping would be nice, the video would be nice, but not quite enough for the cost. The lending library would be the tipping point for me.

If Amazon announced kindle app access to the lending library, well, "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!"

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
If Amazon enabled the lending library for the kindle app, as opposed to requiring an actual kindle device, I'd already have a prime subscription.

As it is, the free 2-day shipping would be nice, the video would be nice, but not quite enough for the cost. The lending library would be the tipping point for me.

Actually, it's the two-day shipping that I revel in. Amazon Prime video on my Panasonic BD player is a PITA, you can't save titles to a queue, I lose connection after an hour or two.... It's Just Not There Yet.

I was indeed disappointed that the Kindle App for Android, on my N7, didn't do much even though I'm a Prime member. Amzn needs to fix that....

MalachyNG

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

If Amazon announced kindle app access to the lending library, well, "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!"

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt

I've had prime for a few years as well as a kindle 3 ('keyboard' now) and the main draw has been 2 day shipping. My wife uses the lending library and our blue ray player can do the videos but it would be nice to have both on my N7. But there's also the pull of a kindle fire that has both and HDMI out. I can't really blame Amazon for keeping some killer features for their own offerings, just like how Google kept turn-by-turn navigation from Apple products.

Sent from my Nexus 7

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Actually, it's the two-day shipping that I revel in.

I hear you. I'd use it if I had Prime, but honestly, I'm rarely in THAT much of a hurry for stuff, so I usually just build up a shopping cart of things that I need and when I hit $25, I order it. If I'm in a "2-day" hurry for something, I'll either pay the premium to buy it locally or shop around to other vendors. So the 2-day shipping is a "very nice to have", but not an "$80 a year nice to have". I'd pay maybe $25-30 a year for 2-day free shipping.

Same with video, nice but I don't watch a lot. So call that maybe $25-30.

Now I'm up to $50-60 of perceived value for $80.

Throw in the Lending Library, which is probably worth another $25-30 to me, and I'm at $75-90 of perceived value for $80. At that point, "shut up and take my money". ;)

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I can't really blame Amazon for keeping some killer features for their own offerings, just like how Google kept turn-by-turn navigation from Apple products.

I'm not blaming them. I understand they want to move Kindles and get me hooked into the Amazon infrastructure as opposed to having easier access to the Google or Apple infrastructures. There's no hard feelings involved, they've made a perfectly rational business decision.

That business decision will make them far more money in the long run from people choosing Kindles than it will cost them from folks like me who think the Lending Library is a make-or-break for Prime. Most people will buy Prime irrespective of the Lending Library, because two-day shipping or Video are their priorities and it's worth it for them. Most of the remainder will choose a Kindle Fire instead of a Nexus Seven and get access to the Library that way. The precious few of us who think of the Lending Library as a deciding factor and have no interest in buying another tablet to support it are not a significant demographic by any means.

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Prime is a little pricey, but you can share the 2-day shipping with 4 other people. For me, the real benefit is not having to spend $25 to get free shipping. 2-day shipping is nice, but if you absolutely need something by a certain date, don't count on it. I live in suburban CA, and I'd say maybe 10-15% of my 2-day shipping orders don't come by the expected delivery date.

Though, they started doing this stupid thing where cheaper items become "Add-On Items"; so something $5 that used to ship free with Prime, now has to be part of an order of $25 or more. They advertised it as an amazing new benefit, but the reality is, they took away free shipping on cheaper stuff. Not to mention, they're charging sales tax in CA now.

I mean, the whole point of me getting Prime was so I could order stuff that was like $8 and not sweat having to pay shipping. I just recently had to buy something else that was $20, just so I could get a case I was interested in.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Though, they started doing this stupid thing where certain cheaper items become "free shipping add-on items"; like, something that cost $2.99 and used to ship free with Prime, now has to be part of an order of $25 or more. They advertised it as an amazing new benefit, as if you couldn't just ship them free before. But the reality is, they took away free shipping on cheap stuff.

I noticed that when I was helping a friend assemble some network gear for an order the other day. And there are a LOT of "add-on" items now.

Not to mention, they're charging sales tax in CA now.

Can't really blame that on Amazon, especially since it's a major pain for them and they don't profit from it. Technically, you should have been paying that sales tax all along, it's just that up until recently it's been your responsibility to pay it as a citizen of California subject to California law, and Amazon wasn't required to help you comply with that law. But laws are changing and the interstate commerce laws in particular, so a lot of vendors are finding themselves needing to collect and remit taxes for their customers.

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Can't really blame that on Amazon, especially since it's a major pain for them and they don't profit from it. Technically, you should have been paying that sales tax all along, it's just that up until recently it's been your responsibility to pay it as a citizen of California subject to California law, and Amazon wasn't required to help you comply with that law. But laws are changing and the interstate commerce laws in particular, so a lot of vendors are finding themselves needing to collect and remit taxes for their customers.

It's definitely not Amazon's fault, and I guess on the bright side they're building warehouses in CA. Not a big deal for small items, but it was nice being able to order an $800 camera and not have to pay $80 tax.

mkhall

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Though, they started doing this stupid thing where cheaper items become "Add-On Items"; so something $5 that used to ship free with Prime, now has to be part of an order of $25 or more.

Wow, somehow I've avoided seeing this so far. That could put a stake through Prime for me. Here in the DC area I nearly always get items on time, and I rely on Prime for TV and movies since I don't subscribe to Hulu or other services. If I start running into add-on items, I may need to rethink this strategy.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
The add-on items I've seen were heavily DISCOUNTED if you included them on a $25 order.[1] I haven't seen any that simply weren't shipped Prime unless you spent that much.

Maybe I should shop more.

[1] I.e., "This $15 items can be bought for $4.99 if you include it as an add-on item...."

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
The add-on items I've seen were heavily DISCOUNTED if you included them on a $25 order.[1] I haven't seen any that simply weren't shipped Prime unless you spent that much.
I saw a couple items switch to "Add-On" with essentially the same price before and after, the only difference being you can't ship them without a $25 cart. But I'm sure there were plenty of items with prices lowered since becoming "Add-On"s.

Though, I haven't run into any items where, as you said, you had the option to pay less with a $25 order or paying more as a standalone item. I've just had the ultimatum of "buy with $25+ and prime, or no buy" (not even if you pay shipping). Here's the case I bought:
misc.png
You could buy through a different seller if your really wanted the item, though--is that what you meant?
misc.png

Last edited:

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I get free books for Kindle on pixelofink.com and read them on my N7. I've downloaded more free books that way than I could probably read in my lifetime!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, if my KF was a better browser, I'd be more than happy with it. The browser lags, slow, just not reliable enough. Maybe I need to do a factory reset since I've had it nearly a year. Might run better.

Sent from Marx Maxx

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylorhudson5670