Holding an iPad Mini vs. Holding a Nexus 7

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Now don't get me wrong. I'm not an Apple hater, just an Android lover. In fact, I think that iPads and iPhones are high quality devices and iOS is a polished, stable (and extremely boring) operating system.

With that in mind, the reason I'm posting this is simply because when I first saw the iPad Mini, it looked like its width would make it less comfortable and convenient to hold than the Nexus 7. So when I read the following on Engadget today, it confirmed my suspicion (and gave me a slightly malicious smile :p ).

From Engadget:
"To us, the joy of a 7-inch tablet is walking across the office or the airport, holding the slate in one hand while tapping away at it with the other. The Nexus 7, with its 16:9 aspect ratio, is relatively narrow and easy to carry securely one-handed -- even by those whose mittens are size S. With the iPad mini, holding the slate in the same way can be a bit of a reach. This editor, who wears XL gloves, had no problem palming the littler iPad, but when we handed it to other, dainty-fingered people they sometimes struggled to hold it securely."

"The scrawny bezles on either side actually exacerbate this issue to some degree, as those who must loop a thumb around the front of the device when holding it are forced to put that thumb right on the display."

Engadget goes on to praise the iPad Mini as an excellent tablet without regard to price, and this was one of the few negative thing they said (which, coming from Engadget, is no surprise). Anyway, I'm glad it wasn't just my imagination at work when I saw the width of the Mini.

Has anyone here had a chance to hold the iPad Mini? If so, what are your thoughts in comparison to the N7 when it comes to the comfort and convenience of holding it?

Sent from my Nexus 7 (easily and comfortably held with one hand) using Android Central Forums

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I have "size S mittens" and dainty fingers. I love the N7's width. It fits well in one hand but any wider and it would get uncomfortable and then impossible to hold one-handed... Which is why I was so saddened and annoyed when I saw that thick ass 4:3 aspect ratio.

I knew immediately that the iPad Mini wasn't for me. The reason I choose a 7" tablet was for ultra-portability and ONE-HANDED USE. I would have bought an iPad long ago if I wanted to be forced to use it two-handed. The bulky width of the iPad Mini makes it a no-go for me.

Maybe others with XL mittens will be okay but I can't one-hand that thing (or slip it into my back pocket) which defeats the purpose of buying a smaller 7" tablet for me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

snaqvi91

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Practically speaking Apple has permanently put its iPad mini lineup at a disadvantage with the width. It's highly unlikely that they will revise the width and that is one significant aspect that makes the iPad mini experience not as good as that of the Nexus 7.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

RichardRight

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
A Bloomberg magazine writer, who had the chance to play with one, said he thought it was awkward and uncomfortable to hold.

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
This is one of the reasons I won't get a 10' tablet. Far less mobile. Even a 10' Nexus tab

Rootbrain

Exactly. If I wanted to two-hand a tablet I would have looked into buying any of the 10" tablets including the normal sized iPad two years ago.

Too large. Do not want!

Sent from my Nexus 7

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
My sister has an iPad 2 that her husband seems to have taken over. Since she's already in the Apple ecosystem (she also has an iPhone), I told her about the iPad Mini rumors a month ago, thinking she'd like it because it would be much easier to hold, as I showed her my N7. She liked the idea.

Now I'm going to tell her that may not be the case, and she might as well get the newest, full size, high spec iPad that was introduced at the same time. Maybe she'll still prefer the Mini after trying it, but it's not as likely. (Of course, she'd be best off with a Nexus 7!)

Caldera

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
The iPad Mini is too wide for proper one-handed use, and that's the entire point of a ~7" device. I like 10" tabs too, but I rarely travel with one due to the size.

lwr32

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I have "size S mittens" and dainty fingers. I love the N7's width. It fits well in one hand but any wider and it would get uncomfortable and then impossible to hold one-handed... Which is why I was so saddened and annoyed when I saw that thick ass 4:3 aspect ratio.

I knew immediately that the iPad Mini wasn't for me. The reason I choose a 7" tablet was for ultra-portability and ONE-HANDED USE. I would have bought an iPad long ago if I wanted to be forced to use it two-handed. The bulky width of the iPad Mini makes it a no-go for me.

Maybe others with XL mittens will be okay but I can't one-hand that thing (or slip it into my back pocket) which defeats the purpose of buying a smaller 7" tablet for me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I'm a new Nexus 7 owner as of a couple days ago. I have yet to see an iPad mini. I'd love one but its too expensive. I'm an Apple iOS lover.

That said, I like the Nexus 7. A problem with it is its terrible in landscape mode for reading and replying to emails. I like the stretched out keyboard in landscape mode much better than in portrait mode. I don't like that the keyboard takes up almost all the screen real estate. My iPhone is the same way. It's also 16:9.

The Nexus 7 is heavier than I thought it would be but it's just the right size for reading books in bed. It's the reason I got it.

JustinMueller8810

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I was secretly thinking this about the Mini. I think Google definitely did their homework when it comes to the size of the Nexus 7.

henywatty

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Had Apple made it the same 16:9 ratio as the Nexus 7, it would have looked absolutely pathetic, like they were outright ripping Google off.

Sent from my Nexus 7 running Android Jelly Bean 4.1.2

JustinMueller8810

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Had Apple made it the same 16:9 ratio as the Nexus 7, it would have looked absolutely pathetic, like they were outright ripping Google off.

Sent from my Nexus 7 running Android Jelly Bean 4.1.2

Unless they justified it by agreeing that this size is ideal for this type of device....im cool with it as long as they admit they did it for a good reason.

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I think the reason they chose the aspect ratio they did was for compatibility with existing apps, making it much easier on developers. Therefore, 16:9 was never going to happen. I definitely understand that decision.

The point is that despite the aspect ratio, the Mini is too wide in portrait to hold as comfortably as the N7. Unfortunately for Apple, to make it skinnier (less wide), they would have also needed to make it shorter, drastically reducing the screen real estate. Then they wouldn't be able to boast about how the Mini is better than the N7 simply because the screen is bigger. After all, bigger is better, right?

dextorboot

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Bezel size and width of the mini were the first 2 issues I thought of when I saw it. I have XL non-dainty hands and fingers. I may be able to palm it without truly grasping on both sides like a vice in one hand comfortably. I do this with the N7 all the time when I don't need more movement because of my position (in other words the N7 won't fall out of my hand if I let it go), but usually when I do this I at least have my thumb pinning it down for a bit better grip. With such a small bezel there would be an issue with my thumb touching the screen. I run into the very same thing if I hold my phone this way since the bezel is so small, understably. Fortunately I grip it like a vice as above and because of the size it's a non issue. With the mini if there were more real estate around the screen I wouldn't need to use a vice-like grip and could just hold it along that edge, but the thin bezel basically guarantees that won't work. I think the N7 is at the upper limit of what I'd consider comfortable when holding this way. Luckily I have a choice due to the bezel and device size and can switch between the two if fatigue ever sets in. If my hands were smaller and I wanted a mini I guess I'd just be SOL.

jpash549

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Google didn't invent the 16 to 9 ratio in 7 inch tablets. Blackberry and others were there before them as of course were wide screen movies and TVs. The 4 to 3 ratio was thought to be closer to book page ratios ( as well as CRT TVs). Another reason for Apple to use in the mini.

tmaze

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I haven't seen an iPod mini yet, but since the N7 is as wide as my hand can securely hold, the extra width would be a problem. And the skinny side bezels don't look like fun either. I wanted to be able to read with a cat on my lap + coffee mug within reach so didn't want a larger tablet. If someone wants to give me a 10" tablet, great but probably not for heavy use.

philba

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
A minor point but the N7 has a 16x10 aspect ratio. 16x9 would be even easier to "one hand".

The choice of 4x3 in the mini is driven by the existing apps. However, this makes the N7 better for movies and TV. A given movie on the N7 will be using almost 50% more pixels. The much higher PPI is a real win.

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
In totally agree with the first post. Also, this may sound stupid but, I think the iPad mini is almost too light and thin as well. I like a bit of weight and being thicker than a pencil makes it easier to hold. A couple of reviewers have said that they almost need to use a cover just to make it thick enough to hold comfortably.

I do think that the Nexus 7 could be a bit thinner and lighter, but on the iPad mini, too much just adds to the problem of the width as far as holding it goes.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital