Nexus 7 HSPA+ compatible w/ Pay by the Day $3 plan?

Mitalis

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
Hello,

I'm planning on purchasing the Nexus 7 w/ HSPA+ once it's available. As as far pre-paid plans go, it would seem T-Mobile has the best 4G plans available. I know T-Mobile has specific pre-paid tablet plans available, but the amount of data per dollar seems less then what I could get with their "Pay By The Day" $3/day plan.. Now obviously that plan is setup with phones in mind as it includes Talk + Text, but I don't plan on using the cell radio everyday on the tablet because on most days I'm covered by Wifi.

I don't like their tablet broadband plans because the data is offered in 7 day blocks and I'd rather pay a premium price for unlimited data for the day vs paying 5x the cost for a measly 300MB of data.

I'm just curious, Is there any reason why this plan wouldn't work w/ a tablet?

Thanks in advance,

- Mitalis

JustinMueller8810

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
They really have a way with naming their services. 3 dollars per day sounds much nicer than 90 dollars per month.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm not an expert but HSPA+ isn't 4G or LTE.

I have read that HSPA+ is 3.5G or 3G speed.

I'm not an expert either, but with speeds that can reach 20mbps down I don't think it matters what you call it at that point. :)

But you're right, technically it's not 4G by any real definition. But neither was WiMax or LTE until the carriers lobbied the appropriate standards body to change the definition of 4G.

The original requirement for 4G required 100mbps download speed.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
This is actually a pretty good idea. i use my tab at home most of the time with wifi.

when i am at airport i need internet and they charge $7-12 for few hours which is ridiculous.

it could save some money but if you get spam calls every day they charge you everyday.

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Why don't you people just use your phone as a wifi hotspot? If your use is that infrequent, it seems stupid to waste the money.
Maybe their phone data plan is limited. Maybe they don't have a phone with a data plan. Maybe their only phone with a data plan is a work phone w/o tethering.

Just some possibilities.

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
It just seems like an odd question. People who need data on the go almost universally have that available on a smart phone.
I understand your thinking, but not everyone needs or can afford full time cellular data access. They just need it occasionally, so having a pay as you go plan is more economical (if used right). Remember, there are almost as many different needs out there as there are people.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I understand your thinking, but not everyone needs or can afford full time cellular data access. They just need it occasionally, so having a pay as you go plan is more economical (if used right). Remember, there are almost as many different needs out there as there are people.
not trying to argue but if someone cant afford data on a phone, doent it make sense they wont be able to afford data on a tablet?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
not trying to argue but if someone cant afford data on a phone, doent it make sense they wont be able to afford data on a tablet?

$3 once every so often could be cheaper than $20/mo every single month. I guess they person making the decision would need to figure out their usage and make the decision that makes the most sense for them.

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Maybe, but I try not to judge the financial situation or decisions of people I don't know. For some people, spending $5 or $10 a month on data is all they can afford, so pay as you go makes sense.

If things are that tight and that's all they can afford, then maybe you're right and they should forgo spending anything on data. But who am I to judge how someone else spends their money? Well, I try not to judge, but it does drive me nuts when I see friends doing stupid things with their money! I do my best to shut up, sometimes unsuccessfully!

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Did they say they "can't afford" a data plan? Also, it could be one of the situations I mentioned yesterday, like a work phone they can't tether with.

What would make absolutely no sense is buying a smart phone and paying for a data plan just so they can tether a Nexus 7 to it. :D :D

kenyee

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Did they bring the $3/day fee back? They used to have it but got rid of it on their prepaid plans. I found it useful in the rare cases I needed it when I wasn't near wifi...my phone is prepaid as well...I pay a whopping $10 per year (no typo) because I don't talk much over it and am usually near wifi (home/work)...

darkoman4

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Did they really get rid of it? Ugh. T-mobile changes plans more often than ... :)
You are replying to a 4 month old post, yes they still have it.
BTW, does anybody have T-Mobile HSPA + Nexus 7? Could that person tell me what APN settings he has? Then I would be able to check if the "3$ a day plan" works on a tablet, since I have a spare T-Mobile prepaid SIM and HSPA+ ATT Nexus 7.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11