Local stores with good/best return or exchange policies

SD1_Mark1

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking for feedback and user experiences, good and bad, with getting their 32 GB N7 at local stores in the US. Things like exchange or return policies, any hassles encountered, restocking fees or really short exchange/return periods and such. I'm thinking it may be a question others have if they're looking into the N7, are thinking about getting it locally and were wondering who might carry it. This may be especially important to those outside the US so if you have something good (or bad) to share about your local area dealers, please feel free.

With the various N7 issues and the lack of decent quality control on the part of ASUS/Google, I'd rather buy locally and be able to exchange or return it as needed. That's of course assuming that store or chain still has them in stock. It's also contributing (a tiny drop) to the local economy which ultimate helps keep local jobs and such. Hopefully. LOL. I realize no (or little) QC is to keep the price low. Still you'd think they'd save MORE money on returns, shipping, customer service and other costs, than they would pay for good quality control initially, which should be worth the extra expense. Sounds like a typical, blind as a bat, bean counter decision to ignore or not see those "intangible" costs. Hey, if you can't see them and don't have good hard numbers then it must not be part of the equation right? :eek: Sorry, no offense meant to bats. LOL.

It looks like the 32 GB Nexus 7 in my area is carried by GameStop, Staples, OfficeDepot, probably Best Buy (which wasn't listed on milo.com) and no doubt other typical chain stories in a good sized city. Wallyword has them but not sure about the "high end" 32 GB model as they usually seem to stock the cheaper versions of items. Here in California, Milo also shows it at Fry's. Milo.com is a cool way to look for stores who have certain stuff locally, including a "guestimate" of who has them in stock and who doesn't. The in or out of stock indicators are supposed to be coming from those company's websites for the ones that show that status, but those are probably only updated nightly. I'm sure there must be other places which would carry the 32 GB N7 but aren't listed on Milo.

So I'd like to hear about which brick & mortar stores peeps have used to purchased a 32 GB Nexus 7 and what their experience has been with that local retail or discount store, especially if they encountered one of the N7 flaws and went back for a refund or exchange.

Thanks,
Mark
:cool:

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I've never had any problem with Staples here in the US. I actually just bought the 32GB N7 from staples.com, hasn't even arrived (Wednesday, UPS) and talked to my local store manager. He will take it back and give me the 3G model and I just pay the difference. He just stated for me to not open the box when it comes, bring it in and he will offer me a staples card with a credit for the full amount (including tax) that I can use when the 3G models come in, or he will refund to my American Express card, whichever I decide.

The hard part will be to NOT OPEN PANDORA's box! LOL, just want to hold it for a minute........

Vinte419

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
My Walmart does carry both the 16gb and 32gb version of the N7 (no 3g ones though). The return policy for Walmart on any portable devices is 14 days with receipt, and they can't have any physical or liquid damage or they won't take it back.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

a1kemist

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Walmart is pretty good at taking back returns, as long as it's like new. Though they are only 14 days. They carry both 16 and 32, saw the 32 the other day.

I wanted to purchase from Staples but none are sold here.. The only one store that carries them are always out. Reading their policy, they sounded more lenient than office depot.

Office depot is great at exchanging, not sure about a full refund. Their website states restocking fees and such but when I called and asked, the guy said only if items were missing. I've done exchanges there painlessly with the original kindle fire and with the 32.

GameStop has 30 days but they do not refund at all according to their policy, but if you have old games to trade in, it can help lower the purchase price.

tmaze

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Office Depot has a return policy of 14 days. Didn't have to return mine so don't know how easy/hard it is.

bmwforme

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
not GameStop, they treat it like a console which apparently have no return policy, only exchange. I had a C90 with bad screen raise and it took 30+ seconds of holding the button to turn of from a full start.. I had no intentions of returning it, my mom had one first and I loved it but.. just a heads up. The exchange process was no questions asked but I am pretty sure it is only for something like 14 days.

SD1_Mark1

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I've never had any problem with Staples here in the US. I actually just bought the 32GB N7 from staples.com, hasn't even arrived (Wednesday, UPS) and talked to my local store manager. He will take it back and give me the 3G model and I just pay the difference. He just stated for me to not open the box when it comes, bring it in and he will offer me a staples card with a credit for the full amount (including tax) that I can use when the 3G models come in, or he will refund to my American Express card, whichever I decide.

The hard part will be to NOT OPEN PANDORA's box! LOL, just want to hold it for a minute........
LOL. I certainly can understand that. I want one now! It's going to be very hard to resist just waiting a week or two to research issues, get store feedback from the awesome peeps here, and know what the issues COULD be, so I can check it out in the store after I buy it.

Then again, I could just sit out in the parking lot and play with it while trying to do my happy Snoopy dance at the same time. LOL.I don't think I'd make it home first. I did that with the Kindle 2 I bought at Target a few years ago. I had wanted one badly for quite a while and decided to check it out when I heard Target was selling them and I could just go get one today. Right now. Hold it in my hot little hands, today. On the way home from work. OMG! INSTANT gratification. LOL. Yeah, I'm pretty sure I won't make it home before I open the box. :D I doubt I'm the only one too. LOL.

Wow, very cool. Thanks. I know, as they say, past performance does not indicate future results, but that's great to hear. Really good "Nordstrom" style customer service in the US seems to have gone out the window mostly. You always hear about the bad encounters but there as so many good ones, with great customer service at a local store you don't hear about. Thanks

SD1_Mark1

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
My Walmart does carry both the 16gb and 32gb version of the N7 (no 3g ones though). The return policy for Walmart on any portable devices is 14 days with receipt, and they can't have any physical or liquid damage or they won't take it back.
Thanks. I wasn't sure if they would, but now I guess the 3G version is the top end.

SD1_Mark1

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Walmart is pretty good at taking back returns, as long as it's like new. Though they are only 14 days. They carry both 16 and 32, saw the 32 the other day.
... Reading their policy, they sounded more lenient than office depot. Office depot is great at exchanging, not sure about a full refund. Their website states restocking fees and such but when I called and asked, the guy said only if items were missing. I've done exchanges there painlessly with the original kindle fire and with the 32. GameStop has 30 days but they do not refund at all according to their policy, but if you have old games to trade in, it can help lower the purchase price.
LOL. I have a REALLY old game but it's not going to GameStop. A Sears Video Arcade "Tele-Games", their OEM version of the Atari 2600 with 2 joysticks and "Demon Attack" but that's the only game unfortunately.

Thanks. That's good info. Much appreciated. I doubt I'd want a refund instead of an exchange but I'd have to get 2 or 3 lemons before that happened. But that's nice to know.

SD1_Mark1

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
not GameStop, they treat it like a console which apparently have no return policy, only exchange. I had a C90 with bad screen raise and it took 30+ seconds of holding the button to turn of from a full start.. I had no intentions of returning it, my mom had one first and I loved it but.. just a heads up. The exchange process was no questions asked but I am pretty sure it is only for something like 14 days.
Thanks for the heads up. That's good to know.

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site

Thanks for the heads up about GameStop. I think I am just going to get one from Staples tonight.

MANdroidd

Banned
Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah Gamestop is horrible at returns and exchanges. You are much better off at a staples/office depot. By far the best return/exchange policy I've experienced is Costco. they will take back anything.

a1kemist

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah Gamestop is horrible at returns and exchanges. You are much better off at a staples/office depot. By far the best return/exchange policy I've experienced is Costco. they will take back anything.

Costco is pretty darn good. Sad thing is that they currently don't have the N7. Sam's Club carries them though, but that's probably because they sell them at Walmart too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool