New to Android can I Instant message IOS users???

Dorfdad

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
New to Android just traded in an iPAD2 and got 2 Nexus 7's today for the kids for Christmas. However Im so far loving this thing and might keep one for myself :)

I have everything setup so far like I like but I was wondering if there was a way to instant message users who have .me or .mac instant message accounts on IM?? My wife has one and I wanted to be able to IM her from the Nexus but havent figured it out.

Also any MUST haves for this thing??

Thanks and I look forward to being part of this community!

a1kemist

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately Apple loves their proprietary software, so the answer is No.

I love using dropbox, easy way to transfer files. I use root explorer but ES file explorer is pretty popular, it allows you to view your "file manager". Those are two of my "must haves".

Weather Channel and Accuweather. Music Volume EQ if you want your N7 sounding better, especially with headphones. Pandora and Google music, you can upload your music to their servers and use it from the cloud.

Dorfdad

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Damn that sucks.. How about just plain old SMS messaging any way to do that from both easy??

Thanks for the hints on the apps I will look them up

a1kemist

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't use SMS apps though I believe there are some for the N7. I would look through the play store or if some more people chime in with some suggestions.

Last edited:

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
If you sign up for a Google Voice account, you can send text messages through the Google Voice app. It works just fine on the N7. There are other apps like Text+, which also send via SMS. It just made sense to me to stick to Google Voice since messages gets pushed to the N7.

ChuckeeDroid

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Google+ has a messenger function built in. It's actually quite good. It allows you to video chat too.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2

ZacHolley

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I have used about all of them ill say my favorite is groupme I set it up on my primary cell first then login via my ipod touch and android tablet and click want to use a different phone number... then put in my main cell's # it verifies then i get the same im's on all 3 of my devices has cool mute features too so while im asleep i mute my cell but still get them on any other non muted devices.....

little confusing but download it and give it a whirl and make sure and on your 2nd or 3rd devices click "want to use a different phone number?" at the bottom!!!

totalrukcus

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I find that IMO works well on all platforms including a PC browser covers Facebook msger ICQ Skype gtalk and more. It merges all chats into one unified msger

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
WhatsApp is my personal favorite. Works on Android, iOS and Blackberry I believe. I know for a fact it works on Android and iOS as this is what me and my wife use and I use an iPhone 4s as well as an HTC EVO 4G LTE. She uses a Samsung Epic 4G Touch.

GKWANNABE

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
You can use this app called SMS Sync or Sync SMS... Its a White envelope with two blue "recycle" circles on the envelope. Its about $1.99 or $.99, I don't remember exactly. It syncs all your text messages from you phone and sends them to your Nexus 7 and vice versa. I have it from my Nexus 7 and it works well. You can also set the Time interval on how often or quick it syncs.

twistmac

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Unless they changed it I'm pretty sure you can use any IM client that supports AIM. That's what I did back in 2005 when I had a .mac account.

masseurca

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
MSN Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, Skype, Google+, etc... Lots of apps both can chat with text or video between both.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

msgnyc

May 23, 2010
Visit site
aim, skype, yahoo messanger, kakao talk and vtalk is google talk for the ipad and even has video chat and many others.