Should I root my N7? How?

Jake the Dog

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Hello. I am an iPhone 3G and G1 iPad owner (boo, hiss). I wanted a new tablet, specifically a light small one as I am wheelchair bound and have very weak arms that deteriorate over time. I waited for Apple to announce its mini and while it had a rear facing camera, most I was willing to put forth was $300 and it just seemed like a shrunken down iPad 2, which made me just thing it wasn't worth even it's price tag. I just got a 32GB Nexus 7 a few days ago, mainly because it has great reviews, it's light and compact, and it's 32GB for $249 which left me enough budget to get a nice leather cover for it and keep it protected.
I sometimes use my brothers laptop for menial things but over 95% of my web usage is on Tablets, phones, or gaming devices (XBOX 360 and 3DS). Because of this, I no longer own PCs. My iPhone and iPad have been my gateway to the net in the past two years as my arms make even laptop use a shore rather than enjoyment. I honestly only use PCs at work.

I've heard of rooting and looked up some information. For what I gathered, it it basically letting you access to the internal workings of the OS and let you change it as you want. I wanted to know a few things:
1. What benefits are there to rooting?
2. My uses for my N7 are mostly for web browsing, Social Networking, eBook reading, Netflix/YouTube, and some gaming. Should I root? I honestly think that it would not benefit me much.
3. Does rooting void the warranty?
4. Can I root without a PC?

P.S. Sorry if there are semantical or syntax errors. English is my second language but I think I write and speak it well enough. :)

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Hello. I am an iPhone 3G and G1 iPad owner (boo, hiss). I wanted a new tablet, specifically a light small one as I am wheelchair bound and have very weak arms that deteriorate over time. I waited for Apple to announce its mini and while it had a rear facing camera, most I was willing to put forth was $300 and it just seemed like a shrunken down iPad 2, which made me just thing it wasn't worth even it's price tag. I just got a 32GB Nexus 7 a few days ago, mainly because it has great reviews, it's light and compact, and it's 32GB for $249 which left me enough budget to get a nice leather cover for it and keep it protected.
I sometimes use my brothers laptop for menial things but over 95% of my web usage is on Tablets, phones, or gaming devices (XBOX 360 and 3DS). Because of this, I no longer own PCs. My iPhone and iPad have been my gateway to the net in the past two years as my arms make even laptop use a shore rather than enjoyment. I honestly only use PCs at work.

I've heard of rooting and looked up some information. For what I gathered, it it basically letting you access to the internal workings of the OS and let you change it as you want. I wanted to know a few things:
2. My uses for my N7 are mostly for web browsing, Social Networking, eBook reading, Netflix/YouTube, and some gaming. Should I root? I honestly think that it would not benefit me much.

P.S. Sorry if there are semantical or syntax errors. English is my second language but I think I write and speak it well enough. :)

I don't know much about rooting but I can tell you it opens you up to custom roms to really customize the look and feel of your 7. Really I just wanted to reply and say for English being your second language, you write better than most people I see on the forums. Cheers to that!

hurricanedt

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

I would say definitely not root, it would have no benefit to you :)

And your English is perfect, most people who speak English as a first language can't speak it that well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
If you have to ask, I would say don't root it. I don't mean that in a condescending way. I mean if you don't have a specific reason or reasons to root the device, I think it's better to leave it stock. (Wanting to tinker under the hood is enough of a reason in my book, as long as they accept the risks.) I work in tech and did some unix sysadmin work in the past, and I haven't rooted my Nexus 7 because I don't have a reason to do it. At least not yet. :D :D

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I would say the benefits to rooting are:
custom recovery so you can flash Custom ROMs or make full back-ups of your system to be restored at any time.
root related apps (root explorer, set CPU for overclocking, titanium backup, font installers ect)
change anything and everything you could ever want change...some easy, some not so easy
custom ROMs are the main reason though.
i can natively add toggles to my drop down
change to 100% tablet UI if i want to
change the theme (icons, status bar, nav bar) with the theme chooser app
i can hide the nav bar when i want to
add buttons to the nav bar as well as longpress actions
add apps to the lock screen ring
720P front camera recoding
and a TON more.

if any of that is important to you, it may be worth looking into. however, i am not sure if it can be done without a computer.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kthompson9705kt