Jordan Petersen

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone!

So lately I have been getting slightly annoyed with how dependent this tablet is on it's connection to the internet to really be of any use to me. The area I live has towns and hubs far and few in between, therefore not providing constant WiFi. I know there a USBs that give off their own source of WiFi. Is it possible to attach this WiFi USB port to the tablet and be able to use it and have internet connection wherever I go without depending on Starbucks and other restaurants with WiFi?

Most places say they have free WiFi and I am able to connect, but the web browser never actually connects and loads. I would just like to have a dependable source of costant WiFi that I know is mine that I can use whenever and wherever.

Do any of you guys have any tips or ideas on how I could do this? Will I need to "root" my tablet? (That sounds awfully confusing and daunting)

Eduardo06sp

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello, I am assuming your new, welcome to Android. This little "USB device" you're talking about is actually a SIM card. Yes, the stuff they use in phones, which cannot be used in tablets. You need a cellphone with a data plan. You can also buy the upcoming (I believe) 3G version of the Nexus 7.

There are ways to work around this. One way is to, if you have a cellphone with a data plan, tether. Tethering is simply turning your cellphone into a WiFi hotspot.

So, no, you can't connect to WiFi using only a USB. What you can do is buy a 3G Nexus 7 when it comes out or tether using your cellphone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
If you have a smartphone, try tethering. If you don't then you might want to consider selling your device to buy the 3G Nexus 7.
On a separate note, what do you do with your tablet? Why do you find it useless without the internet?

Sent from my Nexus 7

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I think the op meant a usb modem. One that you connect to a laptop to get online. If that's the case, it won't work. Your best options are tethering, or sell your n7 for a 3g version. I also hope you realize that all these options including using an usb 3/4G modem will cost you additional monthly plan. yes you can probably tether for free by rooting your phone or by using foxfi app, but I'm assuming the op doesn't have a smartphone since he/she rely so much on WiFi from different businesses.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I had simmilar problem as OP. I was wondering how to get internet connection without smartphone and tethering. And i found a solution! I connected my Nokia 2730 Classic to my Nexus via Bluetooth and now i have small cellphone in my pocket and tablet in hand with 3g. It is not best solution but it works for web surfing, checking mail and GPS.

simeonnevel

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Several cell providers sell battery powered 3 and/or 4G portable hot spots.

You'll have to for a data plan too.

Simeon

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

jimbarr

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Re: Wifi to go- I think this would work with my new Nexus 7..

An alternative might be to use WiFi Tethering if your smartphone supports it.

I'm using the "WiFi Tether" app from Play Store on my Droid Bionic, and it effectively turns my Droid Bionic into a WiFi hotspot. My N7 just sees it as another available WiFi access point. In areas that provide 4G service, my N7 grabs data very quickly. I've used it for my laptop as well, and it works great.

Yet another alternative is an actual 3G/4G Wireless Hotspot available from Verizon and the like. These are small, fits-in-your-pocket devices that provide WiFi to 3G/4G connectivity.

Just be aware of your data usage!

The advantaging of using WiFi tethering solutions like these is that your N7 remains sleek and free of unneeded cables or connectors. The down side is that you need to manage an extra device (phone or hotspot.)

AAAndroid

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I too want to know if i can connect my small USB Modem dongle model HUAWEI EC150 (that i connect to laptop 'without' needing phone) ? If so, do i have to make sure i purchase a 3g nexus version?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol