Nexus 7 battery life.

jjngh1

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
One of the features that sold me on the nexus 7 is the advertised battery life of 8-11 hours. I can't even get the 8 hours. Brightness @ 50%, GPS and location off, killing tasks every time I go to home screen. Any other suggestions? Anyone having similar issue?
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

ep1977

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
One of the features that sold me on the nexus 7 is the advertised battery life of 8-11 hours. I can't even get the 8 hours. Brightness @ 50%, GPS and location off, killing tasks every time I go to home screen. Any other suggestions? Anyone having similar issue?

My biggest gripe with my nexus 7 is also the battery life. I have adjusted the settings to get optimum battery life but still only get 6-7 hours max

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
@ JJNGH1 -- Can you explain your usage a bit better to us. Sure I can burn through my battery in 8 hours if all I do is play with it for 8 hours in a row without turning off the screen. With the way I use it I can easily go a few days between charges.

ep1977

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
@ JJNGH1 -- Can you explain your usage a bit better to us. Sure I can burn through my battery in 8 hours if all I do is play with it for 8 hours in a row without turning off the screen. With the way I use it I can easily go a few days between charges.

When they list the battery life it's for continuous use.

jjngh1

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Look, po8. If they advertise 9 to 11 hrs then it doesn't matter what I'm doing because 9 to 11 means 9 hrs minimum. I'm getting closer to 6 to 8 hrs. That means 6 hrs minimum. That's not terrible battery life but its not what i was told before i bought it. Why would you factor in standby time because that isnt "using" the device. I think i use it like everybody else, surf web, play games, watch movies, music, sometimes all of the above.

John-Smith

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
That's weird a couple days ago I charged my Nexus 7 I had gotten 5 days and 19 hours when I was at 15%. I had 3 hours of screen on time and used it every day, I even watched netflix for about an hour. I think the N7 gets great battery life, but I don't really use it much for games though.

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I always have the screen at min, or at 50% below min; I never have wifi/bluetooth/gps on unless I'm using it, and I always turn sync off when I'm mindful of the battery.

playing games drains the battery like crazy, if I did nothing but play apps straight, I'd probably get like 3 hours of battery. surfing the web, I'd probably get a good 5 hours of battery. reading an offline ebook, probably a little longer. but yeah, I've never come close to the advertised 8-10 hours, no matter what I did. I guess if I did nothing but listen to music with the screen off, I'd get 10 hours' worth. issues like battery life are annoying because warranty usually never does anything unless the battery is a total dud.

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Where is everyone seeing this 9 to 11 hours (or whatever) battery life claim? All I see on the Google Play Store page for the Nexus 7 is this:

BATTERY
4325 mAh (Up to 8 hours of active use)

To me, "up to" means maximum, in ideal conditions as defined by Asus. If you're using a lot of WiFi or processor-intensive apps, you won't get "up to" 8 hours.

sinis78

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Check the specs on the Asus page, ASUS - Tablet- ASUS Nexus 7. 9 hours of HD video playback and 10 hours of web browsing/e-book reading. I have yet to time and drain my battery, but I can tell you that a single movie of 2.5 hours will knock me down 60-50% leaving a projected actual of 5-6 hours.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't know a lot of details about these battery life tests that are reported, but I think that real world usage is always going to result in faster battery drain. For example, when they talk about 8 hours of HD video playback, that's all they're doing--putting a video on (usually streaming via wifi), and just leaving it alone. They're not surfing, accessing other apps, doing other various tasks with the device. All of these other activities will tend to use more battery, because doing additional things requires CPU power.

I have always found that with real world usage, I get about 5-6 hours of total screen-on time (which is probably the best way to measure how much I've actually been using the device). I wish that tech reviews would include more real world tests, but then again, real world activity can vary from person to person.

rbx0122

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed with each connective upgrade the battery use has increased. My n7 is almost a year old now and has had heavy use. I'm averaging around 6 hrs now. I normally noticed a decrease in battery life in all rechargeable lithium based batteries after 90 days. Phones, tablets and RC Craft

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2