Headphone output volume low?

xrayscatter

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem until I figured out I wasn't pushing the headphone jack all the way in. It's a very tight fit, but make sure you push it in all the way.

65fastback

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
I pushed it in as far as I could get it to go. I know on my touchpad we had to use a speaker boost hack.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

dcdttu

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
I actually warrantied my phone out because of this. In my car on the same settings I used to listen to music quite loudly on my Galaxy Nexus, I couldn't even hear the Nexus 4's output. I have to turn the sound up all the way on my car stereo to even hear it.

I wonder if mine has an issue that's more than what you guys have...

quarky_uk

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
Really?

I just installed speakerboost and my volume is louder with the boost set at 0%. The app is dated 1st of September.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

philba

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
I've run into something similar to this - it looks like plugging in headphones causes the volume to be turned all the way down. I couldn't repro it but do get a warning when I turn up the volume past some fairly low point - something like "ear damage could occur". Probably a lawyer made them do that.

Matt Warburton

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I've tested as many apps as I can find and they either don't work, or in the case of speaker boost actually lower the volume. I'm desperately looking for a fix as at this level my nexus is almost unusable, I can only watch films etc if I'm on my own in a silent room. Even through headphones!

Kamal Hans

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I've read of other cases also where Speaker Boost works the other way with JB 4.2.
BTW, I hope the impedance of you headphones is not too high- should be around 16 ohms or so for a device like this.
I have JB 4.1.2 on my N7 ( have resisted the "upgrade" to 4.2.1 inspite of the nagging notification to do so) & have abs no trouble with volume, even with my 32 Ohm Grado's, but 16 ohms is ideal.

MarkFL88

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I to am disappointed on the output volume from my Nexus through headphones I can turn the volume all the way up with no problem, it's loud but not as loud as I would like. I did discover that there is an EQ setting in Google music that you can crank up which does help make the music app louder. When I pump my Nexus through a pair of powered speakers it is plenty loud enough. I think the Nexus just has low audio output.

JDub313

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I have had the same issue. I was about to go on Amazon for a new pair of headphones for an upcoming trip when I saw this thread.

What kind of headphones are you guys using - in ear, on ear, noise canceling? I use a pair of Sony's that are really for the gym. The are "in-ear" but don't actually seal the ear canal - they just kind of rest in there. I was thinking of getting a pair that creates a tighter seal to eliminate surrounding noise. That or a pair of noise canceling headphones. Has anyone tried different types of headphones and if so what were the results?

Kamal Hans

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I have had the same issue. I was about to go on Amazon for a new pair of headphones for an upcoming trip when I saw this thread.

What kind of headphones are you guys using - in ear, on ear, noise canceling? I use a pair of Sony's that are really for the gym. The are "in-ear" but don't actually seal the ear canal - they just kind of rest in there. I was thinking of getting a pair that creates a tighter seal to eliminate surrounding noise. That or a pair of noise canceling headphones. Has anyone tried different types of headphones and if so what were the results?
Suggest you pick up a pair of 'in ear' earphones which form a tight seal in the ear canal.The seal cuts out ambient noise quite effectively. You won't need an active noise cancelling earphone then.
Try 'Creative EP 630' in ear earphones for starters- quite reasonably priced,pretty effective noise sealing- cuts it down by 18 to 20 db, good, balanced sound after 50 hrs or so break in, low impedance so the N7 will drive them to high enough volumes & they come with 3 sizes of ear buds for a custom fit.
Thereafter you could consider better, more expensive ones' if you want even more refined sound.

JDub313

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Just to update this thread, I purchased a pair of Phiaton PS 20 NC - in ear headphones for my trip last week and the difference was incredible. I was able to hear everything very clearly and didn't even need the volume turned up all the way. Not sure if it was the noise canceling feature or the fact that they are in-ear, but either way, this was a much better experience.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown