Google deliberately wrecked Flash support in 4.2?

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Browsers stop on abc.Com. I can barely browse anything now if there is flash content on a page.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Just went to ABC and watched a few commercials and the beginning of a show or two, all on Firefox beta using flash. No major performance problems, no hitches.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I just tried Firefox beta Nov 15. It's working with flash in a limited fashion. No crashes in my limited time with it

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
As I noted and was repeated again, when an OS upgrades, a developer must keep their app updated or you'll see things start to behave badly or just plain not work at all. It's not up to Google to update Flash, they don't own it. Adobe does and they made it very clear they are killing mobile Flash. Google's job is to keep improving Android and making it more awesome, not to worry about maintaining compatibility with one dead app.

You may have never expected, but if Google does, they better/should rectify it. I personally, opened up to tablets when full tilt poker available online via the web browser with my blackberry playbook until homeland security shut them down. Now, however, I can do everything I need on my nexus 7, except see flash comfortably.

I don't believe Google ever expected the Nexus 7 to be a computer replacement for the general public. It's a niche product. It serves a specific purpose (or a number of them). And while for some people I guess it could be your primary computer, that's just impractical for the vast majority of the computing world.

anon(1024093)

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm still trying to sort out how the OP came up with the title for this thread.

"Google deliberately wrecked Flash support in 4.2?"

Aside from the fact that what 2defmouze said is spot on, why on earth would Google deliberately have wrecked Flash support? Did Ford purposefully make the Pinto so that it would explode?

Is this sort of thing all for the entertainment value of the manufacturer/publisher?

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm still trying to sort out how the OP came up with the title for this thread.

"Google deliberately wrecked Flash support in 4.2?"

Especially when Flash is running just as well in 4.2 as it did in 4.1.2, and 4.1.1, and even back on my 2.3.4-based Thunderbolt.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Especially when Flash is running just as well in 4.2 as it did in 4.1.2, and 4.1.1, and even back on my 2.3.4-based Thunderbolt.

I don't agree. Let's not argue about this ad infinitum. The fact is flash isn't supported well by any vendor since Adobe decided to pull the plug. It is a crap shoot from update to update as to flash working or not

wendee2150

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Flash works just fine using xScope browser . I tried several flash demos with no problem. Firefox did a lot of crashing.

Firefox Beta did nothing but crash, crash, crash. And someone mentioned Boat...it wouldn't work out of the shute. When I uploaded it, I immediately got a message saying that Boat is not responding, do you wish to close it? I do not see an xScope browser that is free, is that correct? My concern is that I pay for the browser, upload the Flash apk and I continue to get the message that I need to upgrade my Flash to the most current revision. I've then spent money for nothing...Any ideas?? TIA!

odd1ne

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I find flash works ok just been on NFL.com and that runs fine.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I just updated to 4.2 last night. Installed the flash .apk and the Firefox Beta that is in the market (Nov 15 build). Flash works fine, it doesn't look great, but it works fine.

-Suntan

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Mobile flash is and has been dead for a while now, this shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. Adobe pulled the plug and said they wouldn't be updating it for Jellybean 4.1, let alone 4.2. Yes it still worked if you sideloaded it on 4.1, and then 4.1.1 and 4.1.2.. but it was getting buggier and not being supported anymore. It was only a matter of time given how Android progresses before flash would stop working altogether. Look at all the other apps that don't work when a new version of Android is released because they need to be updated. It's only natural :)

this is not exactly true. blackberry playbook has full support of flash and it does get updated regurally.

Sent from Blackberry Playbook using TapaTalk 2

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Adobe screwed us for sure

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Adobe announced the end of mobile Flash long before ceasing development on it. If anyone has screwed you it is the web developers of the sites you frequent who are dragging their feet in upgrading their sites and doing away with Flash content.

Lets say for example (a crappy example because it's early and I can't think straight, lol) that a new policy was announced that changed the way gas was to be pumped in cars, and it will benefit everyone and the environment in general in the long run. Over a couple months all car manufacturers adjusted to the new policy and only started configuring their cars to work with the new system, they also retrofitted all existing cars free of charge to work with the new system, and any gas station with a manager who wasn't an idiot followed suite and upgraded their pumps to the new technology.... Except a handful a lazy gas station owners decided "screw it, that's too much work, we'll upgrade when we feel like it." Now one of those lazy gas stations happens to be the one near your house that you frequent. You have been screwed by their lack of preparedness and willingness to upgrade.. not by the new policy which is meant to aid you and everyone else, and not by the other gas stations who responsibly upgraded their facilities.

Ok yeah I need more sleep :p ..... but maybe you get my point? :)

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Xear god people eventually there wont be any flash period!! Deal with it ik it sucks. But untill adobe puts a new version of flash out for mobile. It aint gonna happen!! May be some developers can port it to android but other than that it's dead.

Inspire aokp ice cold sandwich rom ;)

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers