A bit of buyers remorse....

emul8ter25

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I love my Nexus 7, but I really miss having no video out option.

I really like the 7" size format for its portability. I think its better than 10" tablets for everything except sitting on the couch using it.
Currently I think the Nexus 7 is the best 7" tablet in pretty much every area except missing a video out feature. But honestly, if there was a 7" that was as good as the Nexus and had video out, that would be my choice even if it cost more.

Asus cut corners to save money, and now it just makes the Nexus 7 feel incomplete to me. If it had MHL compliant usb, I could live with that. Micro HDMI would have been even better...
Now the fact Asus skimped on the WiFi with a single band 2.4ghz means no MiraCast for the Nexus 7....

In all honestly, knowing what I do now, I would not buy it again.

emul8ter25

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
A little research = no buyers remorse. Heck, just a glance at the specs would have told you this.

I researched this and knew it had no video out. I thought it was a compromise I could live with seeing as aside of that, the Nexus 7 is currently the best 7" tablet.

I was wrong. I sorely miss having no video out option, so yes, I have buyers remorse.

I mean c'mon, how much more would it cost to build to make that micro-usb mhl compliant?
Frankly in my eyes it's a glaring omission on Asus's part. If another 7" tablet comes along that can match the Nexus 7 but also has video out, it will clearly be the better tablet because of it. At the time we all thought the Nexus 7 was an incredible value, but frankly the Nexus 10 shames it seeing as Samsung did not cut corners like Asus did.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Remember that Google decided to target the Nexus 7 as a budget device, so I think that's part of the reason they didn't add bells and whistles like an HDMI port. If you want those features, consider the Acer A110, supposedly coming soon to the US:

Acer Iconia A110 tablet review: A clear rival to Google's Nexus 7 that has both consumer and business appeal | TabTimes

I considered waiting for this Acer tablet to arrive in the US, but having had experience with the Acer A100, I figured there was a decent chance the Acer quality control would be significantly worse than Google's.

emul8ter25

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Remember that Google decided to target the Nexus 7 as a budget device, so I think that's part of the reason they didn't add bells and whistles like an HDMI port. If you want those features, consider the Acer A110, supposedly coming soon to the US:

I suppose, but it's still tough to swallow when every cheap $100 tablet out of china even has micro-hdmi.

In fact, if you look at specs of tablets in general, the Nexus 7 is among the few that doesnt have a video out option.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh man, have you ever tried one of those nameless piece of craplets from China? Totally rolling the dice if you purchase any of them, and those dice are loaded as well. A relative once gave me a horrifically bad tablet called the "Superpad" as a gift--what a hunk of junk. Stuck on Froyo, I think it scored around 300 on Quadrant, had a flimsy resistive (not capacitative) touchscreen that required about 100 pounds of pressure to respond, had a battery that lasted around 2 hours with light-moderate usage, and could not have its region set to the US (and therefore download basic Google Play apps), even when rooted. The thing would actually power down automatically after about 20 minutes of non-use, even if in sleep mode, which meant that if you wanted to use it after not using it for 20 minutes, you had to wait 3-4 minutes for the whole thing to power up again.

emul8ter25

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
heh yeah they are garbage for sure, yet still manage to have a micro-hdmi port.

But if you go to Newegg, and seach for tablets by hdmi, there are 142 tablets with it, and 6 without. So that really shows that hdmi is pretty much a standard feature, and Asus was really cost cutting to remove it and gimping the Nexus 7 in the process.

Don't get me wrong.. as I've stated I believe the Nexus 7 is currently the best 7" tablet, but no video out just really sucks.

The second an upgraded Nexus 7 with video out comes along, I will sell mine without hesitation to get it. Or if another 7" tablet that can match the quality of the Nexus 7 and has video out... the same.

Actually... give me a Nexus 8 ;) I've played with the Ipad mini in stores and think that extra 1 inch would be the ideal tablet size.

Lobotomik

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I agree that without TV-out, the N7 is a lot less useful. I see no point for Google Play Movies, for starters.

And there is no technical reason why the N7 should not have Miracast support.

• The Tegra3 chip is Miracast compliant, so the N7 can do the real-time video stream encoding
  • The Miracast whitepapers never say that dual band is necessary. They only specify 802.11n compliance, which the N7 does have.

I would really like an explanation from Google about when, if ever, is Miracast support coming. Failing that, I still have one week to return my device, which I will certainly do, because I was misled into believing support was coming with 4.2. Google's own web pages for the launch of the N4 and N10, wi-fi.org, nVidia, implied so. And it was not only me who was confused: just Google for "Nexus 7 4.2 Miracast" and see some of the miriads of web pages that pop up, from blogs, tech sites and newspapers.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Just wait. It's available for the n4 so it's just a matter of time before someone hacks it into the n7

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

MaddSkillz

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I agree... We need some clarification from Google about this Miracast thing on our devices. Just tell us, Google! We were lead to believe the 4.2 update would make it possible and now we have it but no Miracast.

Can someone, anyone there at Google get us up to speed. Can our devices handle it or not?

emul8ter25

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Just wondering what you want to video out that you can't use dlna for.

Well, a video out would be a lot more straightforward and hassle free than dlna is. Just plug in an hdmi cable and mirror what is on your tablet.

For dlna, you obviously need a compatible device. I have tried it with my wdtv live, because thats what I have, and it just didnt work very well.

In addition, I would like to stream youtube videos from my tablet to tv. is there an app that can do that?

Last edited:

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Well, a video out would be a lot more straightforward and hassle free than dlna is. Just plug in an hdmi cable and mirror what is on your tablet.
For dlna, you obviously need a compatible device. I have tried it with my wdtv live, because thats what I have, and it just didnt work very well.
Indeed, you do have to have a DLNA compatible device. And if you do, you can't mirror the N7, you can only stream media.

But if you do have the right equipment (like my midrange LG TV), then using an app like BubbleUPnP is very easy and provides excellent results. I'd say it's more convenient and hassle free than having to attach a cable. I can have my N7 anywhere in the house, turn on my TV, and browse and play all the media on my Nexus 7.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Just wondering what you want to video out that you can't use dlna for.

Try sitting in a hotel room while on business travel.

Plugging the tablet into the hotel TV and relaxing on the bed is a lot nicer than holding the tablet for a couple of hours.

-Suntan

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I love my Nexus 7, but I really miss having no video out option.

I know what you are saying. If it had mSD and an mHDMI out this thing would have been pure tits.

Although I use my phone for hooking up to the TV, it would be nice to also have the ability with this tablet, if for no other reason than being able to play some of those Tegra optimized games on the TV screen.

-Suntan

emul8ter25

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I know what you are saying. If it had mSD and an mHDMI out this thing would have been pure tits.

Although I use my phone for hooking up to the TV, it would be nice to also have the ability with this tablet, if for no other reason than being able to play some of those Tegra optimized games on the TV screen.

-Suntan

Exactly. I do travel a bit and would have loved to be able to plug this into pretty much any tv.

I wanted a full tablet experience with a portable form factor.

Instead we got a gimped experience so asus could save a few cents per tablet.
I honestly dont want to have to buy a 10" tablet to get a premium tablet. It was so close, but this one lacking feature really kills it for me.

CJREX

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
The Acer A110 offers Tegra 3, HDMI, and microSD in a 7 inch tablet.

Unfortunately it also has a poor display and feels really chintzy in your hands.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
That kid oriented tablet (forgot the name) is also a 7" tegra 3 tablet with mSD and mHDMI for $200. Pretty sure it can be rooted and ROMed to stock android.

It has a 1024x600 screen though.

Personally, I am cool with the N7 as it is, it is just that I would have been really jazzed if it "had it all." I wanted a one hand websurfer and something that wasn't as unweildy as a 10" tablet for gameplaying, and that's exactly what I got. I'll plug my phone in when I want TV access.

-Suntan