Should i buy a Nexus 7?

aglopez

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm considering to buy a tablet for my son, just to play movies (with subtitles),
some games, and read books.

Should i buy a Nexus 7?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
How old is your son? Might want to consider a cheaper tablet so that it isn't a big loss in case he breaks it. I'm guessing that you don't need an HD screen or the most powerful CPU, so how about a Kindle Fire? The non HD variety is well under $200 now, and it'll probably be even cheaper for Black Friday.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

aglopez

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply
He?s 14. I'm in Argentina, no Black Fridays here.
The Kindle Fire reproduces .mp4 with .srt subtitles?
and what about .epub books?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I don't know the answer to that. You could search for an answer in the Kindle forums, or post that question there. Good luck!

stillborn86

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
The Kindle Fire might be a good way to go... Personally, ii like my Nexus7 a little better, and that's just personal preference. And that's where this is going to boil down to. Some people are going to tell you what to get because it works for them... But that's just it: Them.

One reason I picked the N7 was the freedom it gave me. I can even load Ubuntu on this thing (why I would choose that crap OS, I have no idea) with a single app download and some screen taps.

If your son is technologically inclined, and he likes to tinker, don't abandon the N7 so quickly. But, if he's just going to use it to play a couple of games and check E-mail (like you said) and has no desire to play with the system, then you might want to look to save a couple of dollars.

The problem is, at $199, it's hard to save much by avoiding the N7.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Your son sounds old enough to appreciate a quality tablet, so a 16 GB Nexus 7 would probably be a good value at $199. If you can find one, maybe go for the discontinued 8 GB model, which you might be able to find at some stores or online for around $160.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87