My homemade keyboard dock station - $17 B-]

JustinMueller8810

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
So I decided to get a keyboard for my Nexus 7 and i didn't want to blow $80 for a Logitech Bluetooth keyboard. I spotted this $12 USB keyboard that looked pretty small/clean/simple so I picked it up.

Well, I got home and had an epiphany! -> Keyboard Box Docking Station!

Features:
Secure stand
Built-in hole allowing for a USB OTG cable to hook up to a USB splitter
Small enough to fit into my backpack
Keyboard case!

So yes, you are seeing a USB hub there being gangbanged by 3 USB devices (mouse/keyboard/flash drive) and they ALL WORK!

Today was a major step up for me and my Nexus 7!

(See attached for pics)

EDIT:
Added a mouse holder on the outside and a USB hub holder on the inside :D (see my post further in this thread for the pics!

Nothing better than a $17 docking station that carries all your with ya wherever you need to go comfortably. Feels good to create something all on your own too.

Feel free to post your own little hacks!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1353146801949.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353146801949.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 132
  • uploadfromtaptalk1353146816050.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353146816050.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 130
  • uploadfromtaptalk1353146829362.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353146829362.jpg
    348 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Re: My homemade keyboard dock station - $12 B-]

Maybe your next major step should be a desk, or a bed, or some shelves. In those pictures it looks like you just keep everything on the floor?

As an aside, how is the experience of using a mouse with the tablet?

Sent from my Droid RAZR HD MAXX

JustinMueller8810

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site

Maybe your next major step should be a desk, or a bed, or some shelves. In those pictures it looks like you just keep everything on the floor?

As an aside, how is the experience of using a mouse with the tablet?

Sent from my Droid RAZR HD MAXX

haha yeah i currently live in a small apartment in Korea and i kind of like sitting on the floor. The mouse works flawlessly with the tablet, just plug and play!

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site

Fancy!

My understanding is that you can't charge the N7 through the USB hub. With everything attached, does the battery drain significantly more quickly?

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

Very MacGyver, I like it :D. Just FYI though, if you want something much more portable for when you're outside the house (that way you can leave your set up as is in your apt, and not bother with moving it around all the time) I'd recommend a folding bluetooth keyboard.

I just got this thing: the Perixx 805 and I loove it. It's about 5.5 x 3.5 x .6" when folded up--it could easily fit in your back pocket. Though, amazon jacked up the price by $5 (in one day!). It looks to be exactly the same as the generic Ebay ones, except that the Ebay ones also include a folding tablet stand (here).

JustinMueller8810

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site

Just upped my McGyver status a bit with this project:
Created a mouth holder on the outisde AND a USB holder on the inside.
See attached pics for awesomeness.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1353214299160.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353214299160.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 54
  • uploadfromtaptalk1353214315725.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353214315725.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 54
  • uploadfromtaptalk1353214330257.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353214330257.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 53
  • uploadfromtaptalk1353214343977.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353214343977.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 54

JustinMueller8810

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site

Very MacGyver, I like it :D. Just FYI though, if you want something much more portable for when you're outside the house (that way you can leave your set up as is in your apt, and not bother with moving it around all the time) I'd recommend a folding bluetooth keyboard.

I just got this thing: the Perixx 805 and I loove it. It's about 5.5 x 3.5 x .6" when folded up--it could easily fit in your back pocket. Though, amazon jacked up the price by $5 (in one day!). It looks to be exactly the same as the generic Ebay ones, except that the Ebay ones also include a folding tablet stand (here).

My project here cost me $17 bucks and it still fits nicely in my bag. How much was the bluetooth keyboard?

JustinMueller8810

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site

Fancy!

My understanding is that you can't charge the N7 through the USB hub. With everything attached, does the battery drain significantly more quickly?

Correct.
This is exactly my next problem to solve. It does seem to drain quicker. Do you know if they sell SPLITTERS for the Nexus 7 input attachment thingy (micro USB?) (standard phone female end splitting into 2 female ends)? That would solve my problem.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I call bs. There is no way you live in Korea, you live in some redneck town in pennsyltucky with that setup... All you need is some duct tape...

Jokes aside nice little getup

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

JustinMueller8810

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site

that actually looks awesome and i wish i saw that before getting a USB keyboard, but hey for $12 it does what i need it to do. however having the ability to charge while simultaniously typing with that bluetooth keyboard is something i envy.

JustinMueller8810

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
All I see is a box with a cut out for the nexus... Where's the dock?

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

it docks my nexus 7 and one of the pictures shows a hole i cut into the box for the USB OTG cable which then splits off into 4 USB's allowing me to use my a) mouse b) keyboard c) camera and d) flash drive all at the same time while my NExus 7 has the option of docking vertically or horizontally.
All for $17 and a little creative work.
:cool:

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

My project here cost me $17 bucks and it still fits nicely in my bag. How much was the bluetooth keyboard?

My bag is kinda small, and I try to travel as light as possible since I do a lot of walking around. My freshman year I used to carry around a 17" laptop and deadweight charger--plus textbooks and notebooks. It was absolute murder lol. I had back-to-back classes a mile apart, it was probably the most exercise I ever got. Since then I vowed to travel as light as humanly possible.

You can find that specific bluetooth keyboard for around $30 on ebay; it's hard to find foldable keyboards for much cheaper, so all things considered it's reasonably priced. I'm all about resourcefulness though lol. My last keyboard was a USB keyboard case, which didn't hold the device securely so I superglued a TPU case inside (here). Keyboard case was $8, TPU case was $5. I only stopped using it because my OTG cable started having issues and would disconnect at the slightest movement.

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

For anyone with external keyboards, especially if you have leftover Play credit, I would highly recommend the External Keyboard Helper Pro app. When you select it as your keyboard, you can assign functions to certain keys--so my F1/2 are brightness adjusters, F3-5 are volume, F12 opens Hovernote, etc. Very useful :).

rswain64

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
So I'm sitting in my recliner watching redneck island and viewing this setup. I think they go hand in hand!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

Correct.
This is exactly my next problem to solve. It does seem to drain quicker. Do you know if they sell SPLITTERS for the Nexus 7 input attachment thingy (micro USB?) (standard phone female end splitting into 2 female ends)? That would solve my problem.

OTG switches the connectors so the power runs out not in. So there can't be an adapter that would apply power to the tablet and to the accessories at the same time.