Brand new Nexus 7, won't boot. Stuck on Google screen

Oukachiru

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Just bought a Nexus 7 32gb from Staples.

Charged it over night.

Went to turn it on today before getting on plane to Japan.

Devices sits on the Google screen and occasionally blinks, and then says Google again.

Been doing this for about an hour.

Holding down the power button for 10+, 20+ 60+ seconds does nothing. Just keeps showing me the Google splash with slow intermittent blinks of the screen.

The 3-finger salute reboot only works if I sit and hold all three buttons down for 20+ seconds (note: NOT when I let go of the 3 buttons)

I tried resetting to factor defaults, that just showed the Google splash for a solid 5 minutes, then it started slowly blinking at me again.

Connected to my Windows Vista (ugh I know) laptop and it doesn't even register as a connected device.

Am I hosed? What should I do?

taylorz_412

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Just bought a Nexus 7 32gb from Staples.

Charged it over night.

Went to turn it on today before getting on plane to Japan.

Devices sits on the Google screen and occasionally blinks, and then says Google again.

Been doing this for about an hour.

Holding down the power button for 10+, 20+ 60+ seconds does nothing. Just keeps showing me the Google splash with slow intermittent blinks of the screen.

The 3-finger salute reboot only works if I sit and hold all three buttons down for 20+ seconds (note: NOT when I let go of the 3 buttons)

I tried resetting to factor defaults, that just showed the Google splash for a solid 5 minutes, then it started slowly blinking at me again.

Connected to my Windows Vista (ugh I know) laptop and it doesn't even register as a connected device.

Am I hosed? What should I do?

If you are still in the return window I would definitely exchange it

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Connected to my Windows Vista (ugh I know) laptop and it doesn't even register as a connected device What should I do?
Yes, as others have said, probably best to exchange it.

But, when you connected to your laptop, did you have it powered off and then try the hard reset of power+volume up+volume down? This should get you into recovery mode. Do a Google search for further instructions, but here's one guide: http://gametipcenter.com/how-to-hard-reset-the-google-nexus-7-tablet.

If that doesn't work, it's buggered and time to return it.

sclarke624

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi
If this helps. I tried everything I found to try and revive my Nexus 7. As a last resort I managed to get to the screen to wipe the drive, but it still would not work. Like you it was stuck on that coloured cross. Having nothing to lose as was gonna take it back to shop, I tried clear cache partition, which is on the same screen as wipe drive as an option. I was worried as I have no idea what the cache partition is. Anyway this seems to have done the trick. And I am back up and running whew. I have a feeling that having the nexus plugged into a power socket (not pc) and powering off whilst plugged in with wall socket switch still on, mucks the nexus up. What is the cache Partition all about??

HTH sheila

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12