Crashes, Freezes, & Slower - Oh My!

Wolffman19

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Since installing 4.2 and playing with it for a few days, I've noticed my Nexus is not as stable as it used to be. It now crashes to the Nexus X logo (regardless what app I'm using), sometimes it just freezes and forces me to hold the Google button down to reset and I'm also noticing when I try and wake the system there's now a noticeable delay.

Is anyone else noticing this?

Also what's with the clock being BOLD on the hour? Google, please give me the option to switch to the old clock that was fine for me. This new clock looks mentally challenged (since I can't say the r word). lol

I do like the swipe feature and it would be nice to have the daydream feature as a screen saver for when the Nexus is idle and not plugged in or docked.

Otherwise everything else looks great.

Thanks!
Steven W.

hpilot

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Same here. Mine doesn't crash too much, but there is a noticeable lag in almost all operations. I miss the GB smoothness...They really need to work on this.

dajobo

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Since installing 4.2 and playing with it for a few days, I've noticed my Nexus is not as stable as it used to be. It now crashes to the Nexus X logo (regardless what app I'm using), sometimes it just freezes and forces me to hold the Google button down to reset and I'm also noticing when I try and wake the system there's now a noticeable delay.

Is anyone else noticing this?

Also what's with the clock being BOLD on the hour? Google, please give me the option to switch to the old clock that was fine for me. This new clock looks mentally challenged (since I can't say the r word). lol

I do like the swipe feature and it would be nice to have the daydream feature as a screen saver for when the Nexus is idle and not plugged in or docked.

Otherwise everything else looks great.

Thanks!
Steven W.

I had some issues as well. I went as far as doing a factory reset. And of course, that did the trick. My nexus was just slow and laggy after the update, and it seems like I was the only one, that's one reason why I opted for the reset. Works beautifully now!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

smartk9s

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
I had some issues as well. I went as far as doing a factory reset. And of course, that did the trick. My nexus was just slow and laggy after the update, and it seems like I was the only one, that's one reason why I opted for the reset. Works beautifully now!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

How did you do the factory reset? And did you have to rebuy any of your purchased apps from the store?

Thanks,
Eric

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
How did you do the factory reset? And did you have to rebuy any of your purchased apps from the store?

Thanks,
Eric

You go to Settings/Backup and Reset then select factory reset.

All of your apps you purchase are connected to your Google account and are backed up automatically, so you don't have to worry about buying them again. They will show up as purchased in your Google Play account.

If you are rooted then you should use titanium backup to save all your settings. Otherwise you can lose some of your saved game data etc.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

smartk9s

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Thanks badbrad17. That is exactly what I did but my query was because some of my apps did not show up at first. Apparently they were reloading while I was asking my question. Anyhow, I've got everything back now.

But I am wondering if I should add a password app since it's a PITA reentering all those. Recommendations?

Eric

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks badbrad17. That is exactly what I did but my query was because some of my apps did not show up at first. Apparently they were reloading while I was asking my question. Anyhow, I've got everything back now.

But I am wondering if I should add a password app since it's a PITA reentering all those. Recommendations?

Eric

Did you mean remembering all those? I don't personally use a password app but it can be a good idea if you have lots of different ones.

smartk9s

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Did you mean remembering all those? I don't personally use a password app but it can be a good idea if you have lots of different ones.

No, I can remember them, but with over 100 across several devices and users, I was thinking a PW app that I could reinstall after a system reset would be pretty handy. I'm just concerned that a single hack on the PW app would spill out all my PWs. Ah, the worries of the modern world :)

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
No, I can remember them, but with over 100 across several devices and users, I was thinking a PW app that I could reinstall after a system reset would be pretty handy. I'm just concerned that a single hack on the PW app would spill out all my PWs. Ah, the worries of the modern world :)

I have a system that I use for passwords that works well for me. I have 3 words and 3 number combinations. The words are categorized by casual, work and personal. The numbers are levels of security. This way if I do forget my password I only have 9 combinations to try but typically I can guess faster based on what I think the classification is. There is always a rogue password that sneaks in the but when I see one that doesn't match the system I change it. Works pretty well for me. :thumbup:

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I have a system that I use for passwords that works well for me. I have 3 words and 3 number combinations. The words are categorized by casual, work and personal. The numbers are levels of security. This way if I do forget my password I only have 9 combinations to try but typically I can guess faster based on what I think the classification is. There is always a rogue password that sneaks in the but when I see one that doesn't match the system I change it. Works pretty well for me. :thumbup:
I like your system. Can you please post those 3 word and number combinations so I can try it too?
;)

Nuuq

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I get to the point when there is android with red mark, but then volume up + power taskes tablet just to power on... Cant get clear cache option. What am I doing wrong?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I get to the point when there is android with red mark, but then volume up + power taskes tablet just to power on... Cant get clear cache option. What am I doing wrong?

I had to try it a couple of times. Try pressing the volume up just a split second before power.

severinj

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Since I installed 4.2 I definitely have a less optimal user experience. I get an enormous amount of input delay at random times, visible slowdown here and there, and as of yesterday my nexus 7 took 2 hours to charge 6%.

4.2 definitely sucks and it's pretty unreasonable for it to be uglier than 4.1. Seems like Google just rushed it out for no good reason.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

What you need to do when you see the Android with the red exclamation point is to hold the power button and then tap the volume up button once (don't hold it down). Once you release the volume up button, you'll see the options appear.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

JacquiS

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I bought a Google Nexus about 2 months ago. After 2 weeks it went dead and wouldn't recharge. I got a replacement unit from the retailer and have just had the same thing happen again. Not impressed at all. Is anyone else having this problem? :-[