Nexus 7 won't charge

mike.hadley99

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Battery went low and tablet switched itself off. Connected to charger. After a few minutes tablet switched itself back on, got to home page, hesitated, screen flashed "lines", slight fizzy noise and switched itself off. Has been repeating this for about 6 hours now. Holding power/volume buttons in all combinations suggested ojn forums makes no difference. It did stay on long enough (just) to get into safe mode, but no change.

During the short period it is on I can see that the battery level has atayed at 6%. Yes I have tried the proper charger and USB from desktop.

Any ideas? If not, who should I contact? - presumably supplier (Ebuyer)

Any ideas appreciated

Mike H

dajobo

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you know what your doing. Also sounds to me like a bad unit. Send it back and get yourself a new one!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

smitjeh

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
It happens the same with mine, the unit drains faster then it's charging. I have to leave it a good few hours before turning it back on.

My nexus doesn't charge at optimal speed even when using the stock charger and USB cable. Sometimes when plugged into the wall it displays USB charging rather then AC charging.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

pwolf103

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
My Nexus 7 was doing the exact same thing as you described mike. I accidently let the battery drain to the point where the unit shut itself off. When I plugged it into the wall to charge, it booted up on its own after a few minutes. When it got to the lock screen, it showed that the battery was at 0% and immediately tried to shut itself off again. I'm guessing it didn't have enough charge to finish powering down so the screen went all snowy and static was coming out of the speakers...just like losing reception on an old tube TV with rabbit ears :). After a minute, the unit started itself up again and the same thing happened...endless loop.

Here's how I fixed it:
Like you I tried a hard reset while it was booting by holding the power and volume buttons down for a few seconds. This didn't seem to do anything. Then I went into the engineering debug screen by holding the power and volume during boot (hold them down to reset the unit, keep holding them while it boots again to get into the engineering debug screen). I'm guessing you got this far too as you mentioned trying to boot in 'safe mode'. Instead, I immediately selected the 'shut down' option (hit the volume button up/down to scroll through the boot options). This stopped my unit from trying to continuously boot. After leaving it plugged in for a few hours (the battery icon did not display mind you), I powered it back on and everything was fine.

Seeing as this is the first thread that popped up when I googled my problem, I hope this helps others with this issue. Nothing worse then RMA-ing your electronics for stupid stuff like this.

Dean Slpixe

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Just going through same process,

was around 9% charge, and started some app updates, while it was plugged into desktop. and it ended up shutting off,

then tablet got stuck into boot up loop and shutting down,

with weird grey massively distorted screen flickering and distort noises, but it kept booting up.

I tried a few times in the 10 odd seconds to stop the app's updating, but it kept turning off,
got the wifi turned off once, but it still kept shutting down within the few seconds.

went to the system boot screen (power + vol down) and left it on that for a bit to try charging, but it again insisted on shutting down and trying to boot up again.

So have just gone to system boot and selected shutdown, and will leave it for around 2 hours >.>, and report back.

getting sick of batteries, keep hearing different things like:
  • let it run most of the way down
  • once a week or every so weeks let it fully deleate
  • keep topping it up in regular intervals, but without overcharging it (hard to unplug it when asleep)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I know I plan never to let is discharge completely ever again if it can be avoid. It was a big nightmare getting it to get charging correctly again. Not as bad a nightmare as others have had. But, plenty bad enough for me that I will avoid that as best as I can. I might let it get down to 10%. But beyond that it get's put to charge or turned off.

Dean Slpixe

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
alright reporting back.

all appears to be working,

its thrown itself up to 30% power now, although i'm still hesitant to doing an apps update until a bit more charge is in it...

its showing charting usb, i always thought it put (ac) afterwards if it was plugged into the mains electric... either way.. looks to be working.

so power + vol down. select shutdown to stop infinity boot loop.
leave it on power for hours,, and problem averted,, for the moment.

teog

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi, just registered to say I was having the same exact problem. Woke up today and my Nexus 7 wouldn't turn on; figured the battery was dead so I plugged it in and then it booted up, shut down immediately due to low battery, then booted up again with the messed up static screen and hissing sounds.

I got to the debug menu using the process described by pwolf103 and now it's shut down and charging. Hopefully it'll be good to go in a few hours.

Weird thing to happen just because of a low battery but I'm relieved I'm not the only one. It looked like a much more severe problem at first. Thanks everybody.

angelon400ex

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
My Nexus has worked perfect and awesome until today. I have been using wall charging only but we were trying to figure out if the cigarette charger was working for future plans. It showed charging in 2 of our vehicles but when I plugged it into hubby's police car charger (which works for a unit he is using through the cigarette lighter) it wasn't showing charging. It had 70% charge and when I came back into the house the battery would not show charging through the wall charger nor the usb through my computer. I tried what is recommended and will see if that corrects it but my problem seems slightly different since I didn't have a low battery. Glad to find this site as I am new to android anything! :):)

crowrb29

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Deepens on the current and amperage of the car. It also could have just been a short or arc in the car port and it fried your battery. Google has a year long warranty and if you bought it through them they will fix it. If you bought it from a store you will have to get with Asus

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
My Nexus has worked perfect and awesome until today. I have been using wall charging only but we were trying to figure out if the cigarette charger was working for future plans. It showed charging in 2 of our vehicles but when I plugged it into hubby's police car charger (which works for a unit he is using through the cigarette lighter) it wasn't showing charging. It had 70% charge and when I came back into the house the battery would not show charging through the wall charger nor the usb through my computer. I tried what is recommended and will see if that corrects it but my problem seems slightly different since I didn't have a low battery. Glad to find this site as I am new to android anything! :):)

Was this a OEM (Stock) lighter plug in his cruiser or one added by the department? A lot of the added ones are stepped up to a higher voltage for Toughbooks and the like. If it's still working as you say, then it's possible that things heated up a bit and maybe loosened the battery connector inside the Nexus. Several have been reported to have worked loose.

This pic is with the speaker module removed. I used a guitar pic to open mine. Check youtube for videos on how to...

1572_4634652516833_169432474_n.jpg

angelon400ex

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I have tried the procedures recommended and even took the back off and everything seems intact. I am at 61% battery not charging. I know I am running out of time getting this figured out :( I got mine through Walmart with a 2 yr extended warranty but having to turn mine over and losing all that I have loaded,etc is a concern. The police car may be the culprit since my husband also was not able to charge his iphone 5 through that outlet with the charger. That is why he got the inverter (I think that is what it is called) to power his laptop while in the car and the inverter does work through the cigarette lighter.

angelon400ex

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I have tried the procedures recommended and even took the back off and everything seems intact. I am at 61% battery not charging. I know I am running out of time getting this figured out :( I got mine through Walmart with a 2 yr extended warranty but having to turn mine over and losing all that I have loaded,etc is a concern. The police car may be the culprit since my husband also was not able to charge his iphone 5 through that outlet with the charger. That is why he got the inverter (I think that is what it is called) to power his laptop while in the car and the inverter does work through the cigarette lighter.
Update: We have been able to get it to charge but it will only charge when it is turned off and as soon as you power it back up with it still plugged to charger, it says plug in charger. Very strange. I was able to get it fully charged but something has changed in its ability to charge like it was the first month I have been using it.

Gambrinus

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I both have Nexus 7's and neither one will charge while turned on. If anyone knows how to fix this I would be extremely grateful. It's a very annoying problem with a otherwise great product.

mindlessdoll

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm so frustrated! I can't seem to get the bootup menu up. I've pressed every single combination of the power button and volume buttons at every possible time during the start up, but I can't get it to show!

lbros360

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP. I was using it until my battery died. Now my screen is black and the nexus is trying to power on, but right as it powers on, it immediately powers back off. It doesn't seem to let me press the power plus down arrow. What can I do? please please please help... I don't want to loose my first android device!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phlyx