Nexus 7, should i get one?

Lukashenko

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
So i have always wanted to get a tablet and after going review after review, i finally decided to get a Nexus 7. But recently i have been reading the negative reviews about the Nexus 7, people having problems with the screen lifting off, blown speaker, and etc. I am not really sure if i want it anymore. I have noticed though in Google that most of the issue reports for the nexus 7 are from the months of August and September. I think ill just get a galaxy tab 2 instead, i know it is not as good as the nexus, but well it has better build quality from what i heard. Anyways, i wanted to know anyone else's opinion about it, before making the decision.

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Yes, get one. Totally worth it. Oh, and I got it back in July and it's been issue free.

Sent from my Motorola DROID RAZR

Last edited:

JustinMueller8810

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
So i have always wanted to get a tablet and after going review after review, i finally decided to get a Nexus 7. But recently i have been reading the negative reviews about the Nexus 7, people having problems with the screen lifting off, blown speaker, and etc. I am not really sure if i want it anymore. I have noticed though in Google that most of the issue reports for the nexus 7 are from the months of August and September. I think ill just get a galaxy tab 2 instead, i know it is not as good as the nexus, but well it has better build quality from what i heard. Anyways, i wanted to know anyone else's opinion about it, before making the decision.

The internet is always more full of NEGATIVE reviews than positive ones because negative opinions have more of a motivation to be written. Although when i did my own research on tablets all i could find were positive reviews and so far the Nexus 7 has lived up to them and more.

Jerry LP

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks to all the positive posts; I just received my "Just Shipped" notice from Google Play for my Nexus 7 and I was getting a feeling of total remorse. I can face danger - fear scares the sh*t outa' me! jp

Lukashenko

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks to all the positive posts; I just received my "Just Shipped" notice from Google Play for my Nexus 7 and I was getting a feeling of total remorse. I can face danger - fear scares the sh*t outa' me! jp
I wouldn't mind if the one i get to buy turns out defective (hopefully not) , problem is that i am going on a trip overseas for a few months, so returning it would be a problem. That's whats keeps me more unsure about getting one.

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't mind if the one i get to buy turns out defective (hopefully not) , problem is that i am going on a trip overseas for a few months, so returning it would be a problem. That's whats keeps me more unsure about getting one.

go buy it locally - easy to find at Staples, Office Depot, some Walmarts, etc. -- after you have paid for it but before you leave the store, take it outta the box, boot it, examine it for defects and exchange it for replacement right away in the unlikely event that it turns out obviously defective. Three other people did the same after seeing me do it and none was bad.

The salespeople did not care at all. Other than the need to reinstall new app versions broken by 4.1-> 4.2 upgrade, mine has been great. I love it.
Next time they push the new version, I will let it simmer for a week or two before I install. This is a really great portable computing device, IMO

bluntman819

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I was concerned with the negative reviews, but I think those were devices that came out during the launch. My sister and I both got Nexus 7s. I love it and haven't had any issues, neither has she.

JamesC1119

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I picked one up yesterday and it has the screen lift issue. I may just deal with it. I have a case on the way so we'll see how well that masks the problem.

jamojamo

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I got a 32GB last week and I am really happy with it so far. Google Music has some challenges with artwork for similar titled albums (Greatest Hits seems to be the most prevalent) but the music transfer was pretty straightforward from my iTunes library. And it will upload my new iTunes purchases giving forward.

Have found most of my frequently used apps or equivalents so that isn't an issue either.

Still trying out the widgets etc but I think they will come in handy when I get more informed about Android.
My tablet was perfect and I also had all then fears after reading about the issues etc also.

All in all I would recommends it.

Sent from my Nexus 7

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Mine is a disaster. It is brand (2 days old) new 32 GB unit. I believe most of the issues are with Jelly Bean, but here is what I am seeing:

• Wifi keeps dropping off line. This occurs every 30 seconds or so. Reboot cures it for about 10 minutes. You can actually watch the signal indicator go from full bars to 1/2 bars to zero (empty). At this point any apps that need connectivity (youtube, web browser, etc) error out. Seems to be a known issue with Jelly Bean. No fixes from Google in 5+ months. Read this thread on the Google support forums, Issue 35496 - android - Nexus 7 WiFi Stability Issue - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting
  • Screen brightness. Auto brightness is so low that the screen is hard to read.
  • Stalls/hangs when the navigating between the icon screens hangs from time to time and is jerky

I am planning on keeping a unit since I will use it for application testing, but I can't imaging using this as an everyday tablet.

Google really needs to do a better job with their OS/hardware combination if they want to complete on anything but price.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
For the wifi issue, does it help if you (1) forget the network, then reconnect, or (2) reboot the router?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy