NEXUS 7 killing wifi for everyone in house!

Kale Blossom

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
My dad has even bought a new router and this is still happening!

The world is all fine and dandy until I get home, the Internet works great! Then a few minutes after I get home the Internet kicks EVERYONE accessing their devices(myself included) offline.

I've rebooted, told my Nexus to forget the network and reconnect and I still have this problem and it's pissing off my dad!

Also, the Internet generally fixes itself after 5-10 minutes but it's gone HOURS w/o fixing itself and there are applications in our household where we can't be having the Internet konking out.

In fact I think my computer used to do this too! That or my old android mobile before my tablet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

jairusz

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
I had the exact same experience and unfortunately I don't have a definitive answer on how I solved solved it but here's what I did to make the N7 stop disconnecting every device in my house:

• Changed rounter (didn't work)
  • Changed the ethernet cable to the modem and power adapter on the router (no go)
  • Updated the firmware of the router (was never updated before and that worked)
So yeah, I don't know what actually happened but my wife thought it decided to quit being dumb after I yelled at both the Nexus 7, the router and modem as if they were children. :mad:

Sent from a tablet on the latest crappy OS, using an app that I purchased from an app store that appends this signature below my post to make me look superior in social status to everyone else.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Change the channel of your router. Also if you have multiple users and they have b/g devices change the out put to b/g only as if you have a nexus device connected while b/g devices are connected it will make the connection slower or possibly even not let them connect. Always fixed issues for me

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
what's a "b/g" device?

They are the different versions of WiFi connectivity. B is the older and G is the newer and faster WiFi connectivity which most routers and WiFi devices have been using for the last few years.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
With n being the newest and fastest, but when you have multiple devices of different types all connecting same time it tends to screw things up

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

dnightangel

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
For me turning the router on and off worked for me, also heard of success from changing Wi-Fi channels

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Get a better router. I have commercial grade network gear at my house and have dozens of wireless devices, including B, G & N all connected at the same time with no issues. Never had a problem like what you guys are describing.

Sent from my Droid RAZR HD MAXX

Kale Blossom

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
My dad changed it to "G" this morning as for commercial grade, he does have a very high quality one.
I won't know till tomorrow evening if this worked but thanks for all the advice!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Android Central Forums

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
My dad changed it to "G" this morning as for commercial grade, he does have a very high quality one.
I won't know till tomorrow evening if this worked but thanks for all the advice!

Which model router does he have? Hint: if he bought it at Best Buy it's likely not of the caliber I'm suggesting.

Sent from my Droid RAZR HD MAXX

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
The advice to shut off b wireless is sound, but if you can, set it to n only. It'll help, but make sure all your wifi devices are compatible.

anon(680971)

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site

If your Dad bought a new Router and "G" was an option not "G/N Mixed" then he didn't buy something commercial grade less its years old. My parents have a $20 Tenda router not commercial grade by any means and they run their whole network of ipod touchs, my Mom's tablet, two laptops, and the phones, tablets, and other devices all at the same time.

As I've heard of something like what your experiencing, I would begin to wonder if your Dad fancy himself a techie and has tried to give static IP addresses to devices eithier in the router or on the devices themselves. Had a network where someone had their desktop that had all their movies and music on hard coded to an IP and the router was set to DHCP out that IP. So whenever a device connected and took it there was a conflict and caused issues on the whole network. Also I'd make sure he isn't limiting the DHCP to too few devices and you are the lucky one that maxes jt out.

ThatGuyLurkin

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
With my experience, I had this with the Galaxy Tab. No idea how to fix, just felt with it. Irritated me, but it stopped eventually figuring I had about 5-15 devices connected. :p

Hi Kale~

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

Kale Blossom

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
My dad changed it to methinks G and it works.

Ps he IS a techie, hes even certified by dell+ microsoft and does all the IT at his job. He's more technologically literate than I simply because hes used it for much longer :3

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Boom. Are the rest of your devices g? Is your nexus the only n because that could cause it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Kale Blossom

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I guess. Even so if anyone is having a problem where whenever a certain family member keeps kicking everyone offline for a few, just change the channel to g. :3

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
My Wi-Fi on both my Nexus 7's is very slow. They stay connected fine but I'm getting about 50kbps-150kbps download speeds. I factory reset one of them to no prevail. Anyone have any insight on this or heard of others with this issue? All my other devices work fine on the same Wi-Fi connection and I tried turning everything else off so just the Nexi where connected to see if the speeds are faster, but they aren't. I'm stock on both devices and both are the 16gb version, one older than the other. I have a Netgear R6300 router with Comcast' s internet with boost plus so the internet and the router shouldn't be an issue. This has done this before a few times and it fixed itself but I've had these horrible speeds for a few days now. Both Nexi are on 4.2.1 and I just reset one and it is still getting horrible speeds. I also have the random reboot issue. It seems like possibly a hardware problem in the Nexus devices or something with jelly bean. My S3 works fine but it's on 4.1.1 not 4.2.1.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Kale Blossom

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Hey jay, since its on 2 devices id say no need for a factory reset but have you tried changing the channel as we've previouly brought up?

Also you may want to make a new thread because this one has already been solved and it's a slightly different topic