4.2 battery life

jpash549

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Just installed Advanced Task Manager from app world. Looks like it might help some battery drain problems. Anyone got comments?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

NordicNinja

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Did you guys do a fresh install or did you do the OTA update? I've installed 4.2 fresh on my N7 and my N4 and I'm having ZERO issues. No problems with battery drain and no bugs, other than the December thing. I keep hearing people having all of these issues and blog posts criticizing 4.s for being buggy, but I haven't experience any of that.

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I haven't noticed any hit on battery life since the update to 4.2, it's been much of the same.

Sent from my Panasonic ELUGA

MrVivekB

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I haven't noticed any hit on battery life since the update to 4.2, it's been much of the same.

Sent from my Panasonic ELUGA

Ditto. Just checked my N7, 1 day 4 hours on the battery and it's at 60%. And my kids streamed Netflix for perhaps an hour or so. Although, it was idle for a ton of the other time.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

bobrapp

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Have you turned off the NFC, Bluetooth and location service?
I manually updated my 32 and have had no issues other than it is much faster!

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I was running paranoid android before so I had to fresh install, I just ran the 4.2 factory image straight on it.

Everything else works great other than the drain

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Ivanamanation#IM

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I, myself, updated via OTA. It shouldn't matter in my opinion. Maybe we're all just paying too much attention to the battery life, and subconsciously expected to be more life?

comandoed

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Did you guys do a fresh install or did you do the OTA update? I've installed 4.2 fresh on my N7 and my N4 and I'm having ZERO issues. No problems with battery drain and no bugs, other than the December thing. I keep hearing people having all of these issues and blog posts criticizing 4.s for being buggy, but I haven't experience any of that.

How do you do fresh install.

dedduck0121

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I definitely notice the battery drain with the update! My screen is on auto brightness and have nothing special running other than WiFi.uploadfromtaptalk1353662472887.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

pjniez

May 5, 2010
Visit site

How do you do fresh install.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong... I think what's meant by a fresh install of the 4.2 update is if you did a factory reset and install the update before installing any apps?

I did not do the factory reset before installing 4.2 and I've noticed faster battery drain, bluetooth cutting out, and subtle screen flicker. Although, either the screen flicker isn't so bad anymore or I've gotten used to it...

Anyway, I'm considering Doing factory reset and trying the update again. But will a factory reset take the OS back to 4.1 (or whatever version it was when I first got it) now that I'm on 4.2?

Eduardo06sp

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Google really needs to start Project Roadrunner for battery, because this life doesn't last.

dedduck0121

May 1, 2012
Visit site
So this battery is lasting longer b.c I put it on airplane mode every time i leave the tablet idle for long periods of time. Exchange Services (work email) and ,APS I used for like 30 seconds each and look at their batter consumption! Both were not running in the background either.uploadfromtaptalk1353816921326.jpg

Not saying the 4-3% is that much for long term but I literally had them on for 30 seconds each haha

pjniez

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Are you all using Live wallpapers? Two nights ago I realized that l switched my wallpaper to one of the new Live wallpapers that came with 4.2. Of course that was shortly after I upgraded to 4.2 and started noticing the poor battery life. I then switched to one of the non-live wallpapers and my battery seems to be lot better and the Google Services isn't so high on my battery stats:
uploadfromtaptalk1353820032524.jpg

But Maps is still pretty high on the list and I don't think I even used it!

treotimAC

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
No change in battery life for me. Getting at least a full day of use off a full charge.

If you are having issues, do a factory reset and reinstall apps manually - not from a backup. Battery drain can be caused by app data/cache issues.