Nexus 7 and Jelly Bean 4.2 debacle

The real IanR

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
The numerous defects in the 4.2 upgrade to Jelly Bean on the N7 are well documented throughout the Net. I have most of them myself - re-boots, lagging, auto brightness, bluetooth, lock screen audio widget etc etc. Before 4.2 my N7 was as near perfect as any electronic device I have ever had in 72 years!!

I may have missed it, but has anyone in a senior position in Google/Asus stepped forward and addressed this matter and given any indication of a fix date? Or perhaps a simply OTA step back to 4.1.2?

The fantastic reputation of the N7 is already under threat from this shoddy piece of work [4.2]

Last edited:

royal hussar

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I am sure someone will get wind of the hassle its causing and they will have to sort it else people will dump their Nexus 7s and they will never come back to Google stuff. I am ignoring the update for now ans sticking with 4.1 untill I detect 4.2 is sorted
I use my bluetooth a lot dont want it messed up

Fleury14

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Is it that bad? I haven't even thought about upgrading yet. Can't even really notice the difference between this and my new N4. I'm perfectly happy waiting for bugless beast for my tab.

MarkFL88

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Doing a factory reset resolved all my issues with 4.2. Unfortunately it seems Android needs a reset after an OS update, it should not be that way but for me it always seems to be a necessity for optimal performance. If all else fails do the reset.

royal hussar

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
well that sounds a pain downloading the apps all over again and all the hassle I went through to get BBC iPlayer to work using a work arround.. should nothave to do it or is there some sort of soft reset and not a factory reset?? Sorry but am new to Android

The real IanR

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Doing a factory reset resolved all my issues with 4.2. Unfortunately it seems Android needs a reset after an OS update, it should not be that way but for me it always seems to be a necessity for optimal performance. If all else fails do the reset.

do you mean a device cache clear out - this appears to work - but laggyness came back with 48 hours

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I have no issues with 4.2. I like the changes. The only thing that I am disappointed about is Miracast doesn't work with 4.2. Then again Miracast never worked on 4.1 on the N7. I am upset I spent $60 getting a PTV3000 that is useless to me now since they said 4.2 was going to have Miracast support.

knrstz64

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Ill lose everything with a factory reset right? I have flickering screen brightness and poor battery life. I probably will be more cautious before updating next time.

dajobo

May 19, 2011
Visit site

I find this to be true as well. Its kinda annoying, but it keeps the device running great!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

droid83

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Random flashes, wifi dropping, reboots etc. Not as bad as my old Thunderbolt but its a problem. Google talks about fixing December month on 4.2 but that update should not only focus on the calendar. There's other issues to be addressed

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I had no significantly adverse problems with the 4.2 update. My live wallpaper has a RAM usage indicator, which seems to show a higher percentage of RAM being used than before (maybe), and my widget that allowed me to quickly go into airplane mode no longer works because of new security methods in 4.2, but everything else (battery, lag, etc.) seems about normal. In fact (well, anecdotal fact), I seem to be experiencing fewer random reboots (just one), compared to before the update, when I averaged about 2 or 3 a week.

anon(1024093)

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Like MJKearney, no significant issues here either. I seem to have the same issue some others do with auto brightness, but switching to manual hasn't been an inconvenience for me yet. Certainly something they need to address, but hardly indicative of a 'debacle'. More like a little bug. I haven't run into any app issues yet - I fully expect to though, but that's an issue with the apps not the OS.

I've had two "random" reboots but I think I found the source of them. Both times I was updating or downloading something when the screen went to sleep and then the device rebooted. Since then I've changed my wifi settings to let it stay on when the N7 is asleep and connected to a power source. No telling if that actually fixed anything, but for now at least, there's been no more random reboots.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

This.

I always start fresh with any OS update. A factory reset is the best way to go to minimize problems.

Sent from my Nexus 4

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
My Nexus 7 just decided to reset itself and reboot right in the middle of me composing an email... And the sad thing is, this isn't the first time since I upgraded to 4.2 that this has happened: random reboots, app crashes, serious battery drain, sluggishness and general app instability.

4.2 seems like an actual downgrade from 4.1 :(

Sent from my Nexus 7

John-Smith

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
This.

I always start fresh with any OS update. A factory reset is the best way to go to minimize problems.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

This should not be the case. If I can flash multiple CM10 Rom update on top off a CM10 Rom and have it work successfully on my 2 year old Epic. Then I should be able to do the same on my brand(ish) New tablet.

I tried the whole clearing cache thing and it was great for a day, but now it's back to being buggy and jittery.. looks like I will have to factory reset.. which won't be a problem because I only have 124 that I will have to 're-download..

I guess the only good thing about doing a factory reset is that this time I won't forget to root my N7

anon(1024093)

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
My Nexus 7 just decided to reset itself and reboot right in the middle of me composing an email... And the sad thing is, this isn't the first time since I upgraded to 4.2 that this has happened: random reboots, app crashes, serious battery drain, sluggishness and general app instability.

4.2 seems like an actual downgrade from 4.1 :(

Sent from my Nexus 7
It seems to me that if only some subset of the N7 users out there are seeing issues like this, then the problems aren't endemic to the 4.2 release. At least not the software in and of itself. Like most other software bugs and problems there needs to be some sort of outside influence to run into the issues.

So - what's different about your N7 than mine? Well ... what's different other than the obvious - yours is thrashing since an update to 4.2 while others are having no real problems.

And neither of us is alone. Several users are reporting a raft of problems while others seem to have none worth mentioning. I don't think it's simply perceptions - I would notice random rebooting while composing emails, just as I'm sure you're not imagining it. But why is yours doing that while mine isn't?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

This should not be the case. If I can flash multiple CM10 Rom update on top off a CM10 Rom and have it work successfully on my 2 year old Epic. Then I should be able to do the same on my brand(ish) New tablet.

I tried the whole clearing cache thing and it was great for a day, but now it's back to being buggy and jittery.. looks like I will have to factory reset.. which won't be a problem because I only have 124 that I will have to 're-download..

I guess the only good thing about doing a factory reset is that this time I won't forget to root my N7

I also had an Epic 4G - been flashing ROMs on it since before CM6 was ported to it. Hardly ever had a problem flashing without wiping, but every once and a while things got screwed up and a factory reset was needed to fix things. It doesn't happen often, but it happens.

Sent from my Nexus 4