Putting videos onto the nexus 7

smartiekins

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi, sorry if this has already been answered, I did try searching and couldn't find anything...

What is the best way to put videos onto the N7 for watching when I don't have internet? I don't know what file formats would be best, and then what apps would be needed to play them.

Also, if I wanted to rip DVD'S, to put on the nexus, would this be possible simply, or is it not worth wasting my time trying?

(My PC OS is Windows 7)

Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You can just connect your N7 to your computer via the USB cable. You can then drag and drop files directly into folders in the N7's Internal Storage.

You need a program to rip DVDs. There are a number of them out there, none of them free. But if watching your movie collection on your N7 is important, then it will be money well spent. I use Tunebite by Audials (Audials Tunebite Record, convert and enjoy music, films and DVDs), which works very well. Ripping DVDs can be very time-consuming, though, because you have to let the movie run its course in real time while the program records it.

Although the stock video player is ok, it's not compatible with a number of formats. There are a lot of 3rd party video players on Google Play that are compatible with virtually every file format--I like MX Player.

If you have DVDs that came with Digital Copies, remember that (1) you typically have to activate them from your DVD or download them from the web within a certain amount of time, or else the offer expires, and (2) they're often copy-protected and can't be played on your N7 if you simply drag and drop it. Tunebite can help you with that as well, basically by playing the file and recording it directly from your screen as an analog recording, which is legal. You can then transfer the file to your N7, and it will play without problems.

plumberdv

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
As stated, the drag and drop method worked great for me.

I use "All Free DVD MP-4 Converter". It works great, is absolutely free and has converted a couple of dozen newer movie DVD's for me. It will convert to other formats besides MP-4 and in different resolutions and sizes.

Feature-rich DVD Converter Program to Rip DVD of Any Kind - All Free DVD to MP4 Converter

MX player that came already installed on my N7 works just fine with the one's I've converted.

shona001

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
As stated, the drag and drop method worked great for me.

I use "All Free DVD MP-4 Converter". It works great, is absolutely free and has converted a couple of dozen newer movie DVD's for me. It will convert to other formats besides MP-4 and in different resolutions and sizes.

Feature-rich DVD Converter Program to Rip DVD of Any Kind - All Free DVD to MP4 Converter

MX player that came already installed on my N7 works just fine with the one's I've converted.

Thanks for that, I've been using the one month free trial with DVDFab and was just about to buy it, I've just tried the free one you linked to and it works great, saved me a few ? :D

smartiekins

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the MX player suggestion, I have installed that and it works great with the videos I already have on the computer.

Will be trying the DVD software when I have a bit more spare time :)

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I like DVD Catalyst. I think I only paid $10 for it. I'm a dope when it comes to settings etc so I like the fact that with DVD Catalyst you choose your device from a drop-down menu and it knows what settings to use.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Guys,what video formats and codecs Nexus supports?

If you use MX player (get it in the Play Store) the formats supported are pretty extensive (everything that ffmpeg supports.)

That said, if you are converting large videos/discs there's really only one format you should be looking to convert to. Namely, MP4 container with AVC high profile video codec and MP3 or AAC audio codec. These can be played back at native resolution with hardware acceleration (using MX Player) on the N7 and are the best options available for size and quality.

-Suntan

hrglas

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I am trying to copy movies to my tablet as well. My problem is that I've tried to copy five movies......they show up in the folder on my computer that they are there, but only one is showing up on the tablet itself. All the movies are avi. I've looked in the gallery, as well as the "personal movies" tab in Google play. Am I doing something wrong, or is it just simply copy/paste?

hrglas

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I have MX player. Been doing some more trial and error stuff. Oddly enough, when I open mx itself, I found every movie. Just weird that they don't show up in the movies folder through the gallery or Google play. Now if I could only get the mp4 movies to actually play.

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
If you are interested, there is a whole world of all FREE DVD copying software out there. Some that I have used:

Copy any DVD to in two steps with BDLot DVD ISO Master - freewaregenius.com -----> make a exact image copyand general how to
DVD43 - freewaregenius.com -----> mem resident de-encrypt
DVD Shrink - freewaregenius.com ----> general purpose ripper with compression
StaxMedia | Free Audio & Video software downloads at SourceForge.net ------> bundle separated vid files together, multipass compress into a desired destination SIZE and file type (avi, etc) - BIG size reductions w reasonable quality

Meriarijim

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
can you tell me which particular Copy As type you are using that works on the Nexus 7 with this All Free converter? I don't want to select the apple options if those won't work... THANKS!

lyn12345

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi just used the all frree dvd onerter to MP4. Loads of differend settings to use for the nexus Please tell me what settings to use as I have just transfered a flim over and the res is rubbish !

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I have MX player. Been doing some more trial and error stuff. Oddly enough, when I open mx itself, I found every movie. Just weird that they don't show up in the movies folder through the gallery or Google play. Now if I could only get the mp4 movies to actually play.

MX player will scan your entire phone for movies and list them - not just from the movies folder itself. It's a better app than anything stock.

steve1time

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
My personal favourite is total video converter you can select most formats and either dice player or bs player. However total video converter isn't freeware. But the end result speaks for itself.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

akadeanie

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Although I bought my N7 back in December, I am only now trying to get my movies on it for my impending vacation. I have installed the MX player and am running into the same issue...did you ever get the movies to actually play? What did you end up doing?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Although I bought my N7 back in December, I am only now trying to get my movies on it for my impending vacation. I have installed the MX player and am running into the same issue...did you ever get the movies to actually play? What did you end up doing?

I covered some of this in one of the earlier posts, but in case you didn't read it:

First of all, what format are the movies, and are you sure they're unprotected? Remember that the digital copies that come with a lot of DVDs can't just be copied onto your device--you have to jump through a bunch of hoops to activate them, and even then, you often can only watch them on your computer, unless you legally remove the copy protection by using a program like Tunebite.

If the videos you're trying to watch are unprotected, then check to see if MX Player is set to Hardware Decoding, which is signified by "H/W" in the upper right (tap the screen to make all of the display information come up). If you see that, then tap it, and change to Software Decoding. I don't understand the technical details, but I assume that if the video format you're trying to watch is not natively supported by the N7's hardware, then you have to switch to Software Decoding, which utilizes the MX Player codecs.

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
As pointed out in another thread, dvdfab also have a free ripper. That being said, it is the paid programs that will handle *ahem*, "problem discs"...

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc