Do the N7s still slow down with low disk space and/or encryption?

shepardn7

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking into purchasing a tablet and have almost settled on a Nexus 7. But there are two lingering issues I'm wondering about:

(a) Does enabling encryption on 4.2 still cause the tablet to slow to an unacceptable crawl? Not sure what to do about this as it's a work requirement.
(b) Does dropping down to 3-4GB of free space on 4.2 still cause the tablet to slow to an unacceptable crawl? If this is the case I may look at a 32GB model instead of a 16GB model.
(c) Do VPN clients on unrooted devices (such as AnyConnect and Pulse) permit you to forward traffic down the tunnel such as for RDP, SSH, etc? I've seen some reports that even though you can install VPN that they don't actually allow you to do anything.

Thanks.

Last edited:

flux capacitor

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Yep, even after 4.2 you will get the lag when u dip below 6gb free. I installed a large game to see if it was fixed sure enough the lag was really bad so I can't have less than 6gb free. Might as well have bought the 8gb version and save 50$.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

shepardn7

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Yep, even after 4.2 you will get the lag when u dip below 6gb free. I installed a large game to see if it was fixed sure enough the lag was really bad so I can't have less than 6gb free. Might as well have bought the 8gb version and save 50$.

Out of curiosity, did you performed a factory reset on the device and cleared the caches (as seen in another thread) before testing?

Last edited:

flux capacitor

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I did a factory reset before 4.1.2 as it was the only way to "fix" it. After that it was all was great. However for me, this issue was not fixed even after 4.1.2 was released as I never dipped below the 6gb line. So it seems if you suffer from this bug, it stays regardless of what version you have. Short of a factory reset I dont think theres anything you can do, that last 6gb seems to be untouchable.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
6GB sounds high - I thought most were seeing this with 2GB or lower. I have 3.1GB free on a 16GB N7 running 4.2 and have no lag issues at all. It is even snappier than my Tranformer Infinity Prime.

flux capacitor

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I read about the 2gb limit, but I also read 6gb seemed to be the limit as well, and apparently thats the case with mine. As soon as I cross that 6gb threshold, it becomes really laggy, and I can also confirm it via androbench. The random write number plummets.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I read about the 2gb limit, but I also read 6gb seemed to be the limit as well, and apparently thats the case with mine. As soon as I cross that 6gb threshold, it becomes really laggy, and I can also confirm it via androbench. The random write number plummets.

That really sucks - did you try the "write-over-all-free-memory" trick?

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I have about 2GB free and haven't noticed anything unusual. I previously had less than that available and still didn't notice anything. However, after I remove a few gigs by deleting some movies, perhaps I'll suddenly see the light and wonder how I never noticed that my N7 was so slow!

Sorry, don't know anything about encryption or VPN.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781