Wifi not scanning

goatbadger

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
This does not seem to be the same as the other wifi issues posted here - I did check before posting.

I have a problem that my Nexus 7 is not scanning for networks unless I press WPS button in the wifi settings. If I choose scan, switch wifi off and back on, or if it drops out for some other reason, it does not refresh the list of access points (i.e. it only shows saved networks, but does not attempt to connect to them). As soon as I press the WPS button, it starts scanning, once the access point I want appears, I can press cancel, and I can connect.

The problem isn't that it's dropping the connection (thankfully this doesn't happen too often, but it's annoying when it does, as it doesn't re-connect - I have to go back and press WPS again), it just fails to scan for networks until I hit WPS. My router at home doesn't support WPS, so this seems absurd. It's not just at home either, any access point, be it in a cafe, bar or office, it won't find any networks until I attempt to connect via WPS, then it shows all access points in range be they WPS or not. The scan option from the settings appears to do nothing.

The really weird thing is that this was working when I first got it, and had been for a couple of weeks. I think it first happened when I took it to the office and tried to connect to another network other than my home one, it's not worked properly since.

This started happening on 4.1, I was hoping the upgrade to 4.2 would fix it, but I'm still getting exactly the same symptoms. This morning I unlocked the bootloader and rooted it hoping that may fix it (as this wipes everything anyway). Although it detected my router in the welcome wizard, turning the wifi off and back on again resulting in it failing to scan, 'scan' from the menu did nothing, but the WPS button detected the networks again; i.e. no change.

I wouldn't have thought this was a hardware issue, as I can get it working with the WPS button, anyone any ideas? I've tried "Fix my wifi", but this didn't help.

Sorry to ramble on, but wanted to make it clear this isn't the same as the other wifi connection/dropping issues posted here.

Thanks,
Scott.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol