What does "Windows XP Professional Edtion" mean?

Klister

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm completely new to the mobile device thing. I've got a pre-paid flip phone and only get about 5 calls a month and most of those are from my mother. I'm looking at the nexus 7 and thinking I can use it to make phone calls like I do on my lap top. Amazon is offering an Asus Google Nexus 7 ASUS-1B32 32GB Tablet - Quad-core Tegra 3 Processor, Android 4.1. Under product details it list "Windows XP Professional Edition. But it looks like it has an Adroid 4.1 operating system. Can someone explain why this is not a contradiction? Thank you.

Klister

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering if it was a misprint but it's been up for more than a week. I have no idea what it means. Thank you for your reply.

Klister

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
If you go to Amazon and search on Nexus 7 32gb it's the first one to come up. If you just search on nexus 7 it doesn't come up.

daflake

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

Minkey1

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Do you mean you almost "bought" (i.e. accepted) the mis-description, or almost bought the device? The device runs on the Android Jelly Bean OS but works with Windows PC's to transfer content should you require this. Your original Q asked about using a Nexus 7 to make phone calls as you do on your lap top. It's a tablet rather than a cellphone but you can instal the free Skype app from Google Play here https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...e.raider&feature=search_result&token=0amF-5sA.. and use the device to make both voice and video calls, free for Skype to Skype. Apologies if I've misunderstood your needs.

jpash549

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Not the first error on Amazon market place listings. Also not such a good price. Assume the seller supplied the description. Caveat emptor.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Klister

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Gee, thank you for all your help. Minkey1; when you ask if I almost bought the description or the device I'd say both. I'm not sure what I'm getting into here and don't know what to expect. What I was hoping for was access to the web just like I get on my lap top, that seems not to be the case. I also said I wanted to use it as a phone. I use Gmail Call Phone, this is not the same as Google Voice of which I have no experience. With Gmail Call Phone I can call any phone in the U.S. for free. I cannot receive calls, for me this is mostly a plus since I don't get many calls and a lot of the ones I do get are unwelcome.
I was on the Surface forum and it is most unhelpful. I think a large part of my decision on which tablet to buy will be based on the helpfulness of it associated forum.
What I'm looking for in a tablet is the ability to make phone calls, download pictures from my camera, and play online chess. I suppose after I get one I'll find other things to do with it, I thought it would be easier to pack around than my laptop. I think I'm starting to ramble on here, mostly I wanted to say thank all of you for your time and effort answering my questions.

Minkey1

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Hi Klister

Can't speak to Gmail Call Phone or Google Voice, but I can confirm that with any brand name tablet from the likes of Google or Samsung (Android OS), Microsoft (Windows 8/RT), or Apple (iOS), you can browse the internet and do most things just as your laptop can, including making and receiving voice and video calls over the internet via the free Skype application. As a plus, voice/video calls to other Skype users are free.

My daughter in NYC uses it on her Mac to video call me on my Nexus 7 or my Windows 7 laptop. She's not coming over this holiday so we'll definitely skype Christmas afternoon :)

Anyhoo, late here, so I'm off to Bedfordshire. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm