Is it possible to tether a Nexus 7 to an AT&T iPhone 4S?

Doc_V

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
If so, can it be done without rooting or jailbreaking? And if the answer to that is also yes, are there any issues that AT&T might have with it, or is it allowed?

And if the answers are yes, and it is allowed... how exactly do you do it?

I've looked around and can't seem to find a straight answer.

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

Thx.

Doc_V

Last edited:

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
If so, can it be done without rooting or jailbreaking? And if the answer to that is also yes, are there any issues that AT&T might have with it, or is it allowed?

And if the answers are yes, and it is allowed... how exactly do you do it?

I've looked around and can't seem to find a straight answer.

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

Thx.

Doc_V

you mean use iphone 4s internet in nexus 7???? (This is not possible unless you jailbreak or there are monthly subscription tether solutions)Att will know if you do it without jailbreak.

or

use nexus 7 internet in iphone 4S?? - yes, this can be done using an app called foxifi in nexus 7 and connecting 4s as a wifi.

This is why i like Android. you can tether without carriers knowing it. Android give the flexibilty.
if an Apple product comes in between it becomes complicated.

Doc_V

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
you mean use iphone 4s internet in nexus 7???? (This is not possible unless you jailbreak or there are monthly subscription tether solutions)Att will know if you do it without jailbreak.

or

use nexus 7 internet in iphone 4S?? - yes, this can be done using an app called foxifi in nexus 7 and connecting 4s as a wifi.

This is why i like Android. you can tether without carriers knowing it. Android give the flexibilty.
if an Apple product comes in between it becomes complicated.

Not sure what the difference is, I'm a little confused.

I have an AT&T iPhone 4S, and I plan to buy a Nexus 7. I was hoping I could access the internet on the N7, via the iPhone, when normal wifi isn't available.

Is this possible without jail-breaking, rooting or getting into trouble with AT&T?

Last edited:

skyrockett

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
If you had galaxy nexus then it wouldn't be a problem. No extra pay No extra modifications.
With iphone though you either have to pay extra for tether plan or do some hacking.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

I have an AT&T iPhone 4S, and I plan to buy a Nexus 7. I was hoping I could access the internet on the N7, via the iPhone, when normal wifi isn't available.

Is this possible without jail-breaking, rooting or getting into trouble with AT&T?

Yes. Buy a tethering plan for your iPhone. I believe it runs around $20 a month. Completely legit and sanctioned by AT&T since you're paying for it.

EDIT (several days later) to add: As others have pointed out, if you are on a metered plan, it may already include tethering. Call AT&T and ask.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

dduniam

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

I have an iPhone 4S, and a Nexus 7 - on the iPhone, I turn on the Personal Hotspot, then shortly after, the Nexus 7 connects to the phone and I'm away - full internet access. The first time the Nexus 7 connects to the phone, it'll ask for the password (which would have been set under Personal Hotspot on the phone).

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

there is no rooting needed on nexus 7 for tether to work

on iphone pick one "jail-breaking or getting into trouble with AT&T"

dduniam

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
there is no rooting needed on nexus 7 for tether to work

on iphone pick one "jail-breaking or getting into trouble with AT&T"

I haven't rooted my Nexus 7 nor jail breaked my iPhone, just enabling Personal Hotspot on my iPhone allowed my Nexus 7 to connect to it thru WiFi and access the internet.

skyrockett

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I haven't rooted my Nexus 7 nor jail breaked my iPhone, just enabling Personal Hotspot on my iPhone allowed my Nexus 7 to connect to it thru WiFi and access the internet.

You probably on tether plan or you will receive a bill with tether charge on top of you monthly charge. I know that tethering option is hidden on iphone
If you're add tether plan this option comes visible. Thats what my buddy told me.

visa01

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure about AT&T, but I do know that Verizon recently stopped charging the $20 tether fee that it sounds like you would have to pay on AT&T. We used to only be able to tether either by paying $20 for hotspot fee, or root our phones. I can't imagine why the iPhone would be different unless its an Apple thing, or why you would have to pay a fee to turn it into a mobile hotpot on AT&T when it had been deemed illegal for Verizon to charge users for the same thing.

Perhaps call AT&T customer service? Other users don't seem to have a problem. Have you explored tether options in Settings on your iPhone?

Doc_V

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Update... I called ATT and you have to have a minimum $50 5gig data plan to use mobile hotspots. I'm currently paying $25 for 2 gig and would have to upgrade if I wanted to use the mobile hotspot option on the iphone.

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Seems a rip off really, data is data. 2 or 5 gig data no matter how you use it. If I want to use the data from a iphone for another device and pay for it, WTF. I sure find data plans a rip off, but again I guess there is so much to go around. I would consider a hack at that point. I don't think any court of law would see the harm in sharing data, doesn't make sense.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Seems a rip off really, data is data. 2 or 5 gig data no matter how you use it. If I want to use the data from a iphone for another device and pay for it, WTF. I sure find data plans a rip off, but again I guess there is so much to go around. I would consider a hack at that point. I don't think any court of law would see the harm in sharing data, doesn't make sense.

I agree. Unfortunately, for the moment, the 5GB/$50 plan is the only tethering-capable data plan (according to their web site), which is really pathetic.

Pdj79

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
What they are failing to tell you is that if you have one of the mobile share plans you can use tethering at no additional cost. I using it right now with my HTC One X. But you do lose the "unlimited" data plan by switching to it, however.

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
What they are failing to tell you is that if you have one of the mobile share plans you can use tethering at no additional cost. I using it right now with my HTC One X. But you do lose the "unlimited" data plan by switching to it, however.

I can see an issue with unlimited data plans, but a 2 or 5 gig plan, you would think they wouldn't care, and hope a user would go over the plan so they could charge extra. Maybe I'm thinking simple they probably charge more for a shared plan yes/no. But maybe the data plans in general are being under used or not peaked on average so they put these rules in place. So their records show users are not peaking the plans, and supplier is saving data usage. Can be my only theory. I wonder how the legal terms are written, almost sounds like some small print on page 541 section 2 somewhere in their contract. Monopolizing sounds more like it. I know business is business, but fair business practice would be use what you pay for, weather it's tethering or whatever. I have it here in British Columbia Canada, we get shafted on everything, wish I had a US acct. US has way more competition and probably hundreds of more choices. But your data seems comparable in prices.

wildmangk

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I use Foxfi. I use the data from my Note 2 to use my Nexus and its flawless. Idk if you can use Foxfi with apple products.