has anyone setup tmobile with their 3g nexus 7?

jasonaward

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I've now set up both AT&T and T-Mobile for my Nexux 7 3G. For T-Mobile, I set up a prepaid $35 for 3.5GB option. However, I've had less than... stellar... network performance results with T-Mobile in my area and have now gone back to AT&T which is giving me more consistent network coverage and speeds.

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
What plan is that called? Is it some type of data only option?

I've now set up both AT&T and T-Mobile for my Nexux 7 3G. For T-Mobile, I set up a prepaid $35 for 3.5GB option. However, I've had less than... stellar... network performance results with T-Mobile in my area and have now gone back to AT&T which is giving me more consistent network coverage and speeds.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

jasonaward

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
What plan is that called? Is it some type of data only option?

Yes, it falls under their prepaid no-contract mobile broadband service. I had to go in to the store and pick up a SIM card, and buy a refill pack. They have the following refill plans:

Month Pass - 5GB - $50
Month Pass - 3.5GB - $35
Month Pass - 1.5GB - $25
Week Pass - 300MB - $15

You can set up your account for manual (default) or automatic renewal after your bandwidth or time expire.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

paceywitter

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious too. I have a $30 plan (unlimited text and data) that I would really like to use. I'm not sure if the Nexus would be compatible since it's a tablet and not a phone.

jasonaward

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm curious too. I have a $30 plan (unlimited text and data) that I would really like to use. I'm not sure if the Nexus would be compatible since it's a tablet and not a phone.

It is not... there was a lengthy thread on XDA where several have confirmed that the $30 unlimited data plan is not compatible with the Nexus 7 3G. Apparently T-Mobile is blocking the device for that plan.

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I was told it was data only.
My second choice over the Nexus. Phone wise was the Samsung note2 wow that is a machine. But I need more a mini tablet with data than a phone for now.

Last edited:

cognus

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
glad I wandered in here... i was all set to order one. not now.

guess I'll wait and see about the lenovo 2107 3G model...

eee123

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
Any insight into how I get activated on T-Mobile? I tried following the instructions mailed with the SIM, but the only plans that come up are phone plans for voice, text and data.

Going to t-mobile.com on the tablet while connected to t-mobile doesn't work, either. Giving them my money shouldn't be this difficult.

eee123

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
I know what plan I want. I just can't figure out how to select it. The T-mobile activation site only has phone plans after I type in all my info. Can't accomplish much on the tablet with the t-mobile sim installed, either.

Anybody remember how exactly they activated? I suppose I should just call the 800 number, but I'm trying to avoid that if at all possible.

cognus

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
apparently one must call them - if we're talking about the non-contract 30 day data plan.
caveat: I did that, had a nice chat, they punted me over to the persona-non-grata space, another nice person took my sim fee, but I never got the sim in the mail hahahhaa.... I still need to followup on them to see what happened.
I couldn't find a way to do it online and the guy I spoke with sorta confirmed that

eee123

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
I got my SIM from T-Mobile installed. No luck activating it online, as all I get are phone plans in the options. I call to activate it and I'm told I' have to go to a store and buy a $25 refill card, then call T-Mobile back. I just assumed they would accept a credit card.

All this to save $5 (I was going for the $25/1.5GB T-Mobile plan; had the $30/3GB ATT plan).

Clearly this level of complexity is not worth the wasted time for the minimal savings. I'm just going back to ATT unless someone figures out a more reasonable way to do things.

ocostich

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
T-Mobile never does anything smart about customer service or convenience.T-Mobile has decided to make it nearly impossible to conveniently get a data plan for a tablet. If you go to the store and get the SIM card, they will also give you a made up phone number for the device, just like it was a phone. Then you simply go home and create a MyT-Mobile account for that phone number and buy some data, right?

Well, no. The geniuses at T-Mobile have decide that to create a MyT-Mobile account you need a temporary password, WHICH THEY SEND BY TEXT TO A DEVICE THAT DOES NOT RECEIVE TEXT MESSAGES. The solution they say, is to get a T-Mobile phone that takes a microSIM card and put the tablet SIM in it, then get the text message, then swap the SIM cards again. And this presumes you gave access to a T-Mobile phone with the latest format SIM card. Apparently they aren't interested in getting new customers for data for tablets.

Is it worth the trouble when all you have to do for AT&T is go to their site, enter the MEID and SIM numbers and your billing info? NO

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
T-Mobile never does anything smart about customer service or convenience.T-Mobile has decided to make it nearly impossible to conveniently get a data plan for a tablet. If you go to the store and get the SIM card, they will also give you a made up phone number for the device, just like it was a phone. Then you simply go home and create a MyT-Mobile account for that phone number and buy some data, right?

Well, no. The geniuses at T-Mobile have decide that to create a MyT-Mobile account you need a temporary password, WHICH THEY SEND BY TEXT TO A DEVICE THAT DOES NOT RECEIVE TEXT MESSAGES. The solution they say, is to get a T-Mobile phone that takes a microSIM card and put the tablet SIM in it, then get the text message, then swap the SIM cards again. And this presumes you gave access to a T-Mobile phone with the latest format SIM card. Apparently they aren't interested in getting new customers for data for tablets.

Is it worth the trouble when all you have to do for AT&T is go to their site, enter the MEID and SIM numbers and your billing info? NO

Old thread I know but it is about what my question is concerning. First, when creating an account, the Nexus 7 will receive those text messages you need for the temporary password. They work just like with the Nexus 4 phone.

My question though is about renews. My data plan is the 3.5GB plan and it expires/renews on the 28th. I have half a GB left. If I run out before the 28th, can I buy a new 3.5GB plan and will it expire on the 28th also or will buying the new 3.5GB plan start off a new 30 days to use that data? It's not clear on the website.

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Old thread I know but it is about what my question is concerning. First, when creating an account, the Nexus 7 will receive those text messages you need for the temporary password. They work just like with the Nexus 4 phone.

My question though is about renews. My data plan is the 3.5GB plan and it expires/renews on the 28th. I have half a GB left. If I run out before the 28th, can I buy a new 3.5GB plan and will it expire on the 28th also or will buying the new 3.5GB plan start off a new 30 days to use that data? It's not clear on the website.

I can't answer that however be careful as AT&T has an auto renew monthly unless you go into the account online and find the place to choose don't renew automatically. In your case I would call T-Mobile directly or see if they have a chat online offer where you sign up for month by month service.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol