Anti Virus app

royal hussar

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
What are people using for anti virus software. I downloaded the free Norton app but there unless you go for the paid upgrade. Is there something free such as AVG. Suitable for android. Ta

Eduardo06sp

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
What are people using for anti virus software. I downloaded the free Norton app but there unless you go for the paid upgrade. Is there something free such as AVG. Suitable for android. Ta

I'd recommend not using any anti-virus. If you're going to waste your battery by installing it, might as well use Avast Anti-Virus.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

lyate

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I recommend using an av app - my favorite is Zoner AV - available in the Play Store!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Opinions vary on using an anti virus app or not. I look at it from a battery standpoint, another app running constantly in the background eating my battery.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Well I deleted Norton with the advice here but I may put it back on after reading this:

For each named entry, Symantec includes the date when that entry was first added to its definitions list. Out of the total of 213 new named entries on the list, more than 85% were from 2010 or earlier. Only 31 entries were discovered in 2011 or 2012. And one-third of those were from non-Windows platforms.

Two of the recent samples were for OS X?the original OSX.Flashback, from last fall, and the newer OSX.Flashback.K, which wreaked havoc on Mac owners over the past month.

Most interestingly, eight entries on the list?more than 25%?were for Android-related malware. Given the size of the Android installed base and the lack of any central control over Android app markets, that shouldn?t be surprising. On its Latest Threats and Risks list, Symantec includes writeups for more than 80 Android-related programs, most classified as Trojans or Spyware. That's 11% of the total of 720 items on the list.

To make sure those numbers were representative, I looked at the Symantec definitions database for the entire month of March. In all, 66 new named entries were added to the list, or about two per day. Of that total, 36 represented new, named Trojans, viruses, and worms. Five of them were aimed at Android devices, one targeted OS X (no, it wasn?t a Flashback variant), and there was one new entry each for Symbian OS, Linux, and an Adobe Flash Player exploit.

The malware numbers game: how many viruses are out there? | ZDNet

mysterygirl

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Opinions vary on using an anti virus app or not. I look at it from a battery standpoint, another app running constantly in the background eating my battery.

My thought is better safe than sorry. I often hear the battery argument, but in reality, Lookout never even registers on my battery stat information, which implies to me, that of all the things running on my N7, Lookout impact on my battery should be extremely low on my list of concerns. Obviously, it's using some battery, but it seems almost negligible compared to everything else.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
My thought is better safe than sorry. I often hear the battery argument, but in reality, Lookout never even registers on my battery stat information, which implies to me, that of all the things running on my N7, Lookout impact on my battery should be extremely low on my list of concerns. Obviously, it's using some battery, but it seems almost negligible compared to everything else.

Thats cool I have no problem with anyone's decision on using them. In my couple years experience with Android I have yet to come across something that infected my device. I know virus do exist although nothing like Window's environment but up to this point in time they have been kept under control very well.

Everyone should monitor or handle their device how they like, its your hard earned money spent on it so protect it how ever you choose :)

FunkMasterJoe

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I use and really like Lookout. NO ill effects on the battery at all.

I second this. Have always used it for my Android devices and it's never shown a negative effect on my battery. Works great.

leddra2k

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
For my s2 s3 galaxy tab 10.1 and now my nexus 7 there is only one I use! But this is only for you rooted ppl out there :)
Avast AV + Plus Firewall! Wkd, put firewall into whitelist ruleset and only allow out going traffic to the apps you select :)

tomraza

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
I am using Appriva antivirus application on my Samsung Galaxy Note II used to get lots of Spam calls and text from other people it helped me block them i realy like this software and recommend it
if u want to download it here is link https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ails?id=com.moobila.appriva.av&token=4-QgPiug

Last edited:

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I am using Avast anti virus for my Galaxy nexus. I don't understand why people wouldn't use an anti virus. In a battery wise standpoint sure anti virus could suck up battery, although I have not experienced big battery drain from anti virus app. But in a safety standpoint I see it a big advantage in using an anti virus app. The reason being is although some might think it useless for an android platform, the issue is that android based viruses/malware are on the rise and they are specifically targeting, generally, financial things. eg credit cards. And I would agree that currently the threat level is minimum, it's still rising and the creators of these malware/viruses are making them more and more sophisticated. The point is better safe than sorry. Would you rather nit pick about battery drainage or get in serious financial debt and get your identity stolen? I'm not saying if you don't get an anti virus you will get a malware, i'm just simply stating that your chances are higher than those with an anti virus. Some people say Google Play store is safe, but the truth is they are not. There are some apps with malicious intent that go through the play store security. And they do not get detected until it's most likely too late. Even iOS isn't safe, although it is generally a lot more safer than the play store simply because of their strict rules and tight security. So I would highly recommend getting an anti virus installed, it won't diminish your battery so much as you'd notice and you will be generally safe from general malware etc.

Better SAFE than SORRY (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

tomraza

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
agreed with npark thats why i use appriva which is quite handy how handy well how about its a antivirus and wait for it.......... anti spyware too so it will automatically scan my phone and clean it for malware,virus and spyware i got malware when i downloaded the random app and didnt knew it had malware most of antivirus were not able to scan that malware but appriva did the job :D

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I don't use an antivirus app because imo it isn't necessary unless you are sideloading apk's. Anything you download from google play *shouldn't* contain any malware. Not a blanket statement, but I'd say that anything from a legit developer is perfectly safe and I'd be *very* cautious before downlading any app on a whim from a random developer anyway. Beyond that any malware/whatever that may be on files you might copy from a windows computer is likely designed for windows and can't effect android if it wanted to.

If I was sideloading apk's I'd probably run an on demand scan on them when I do, and I've downloaded lookout to run a scan on occasion just to be sure, but I see no need to have one installed and running on a regular basis.

Using an android device is largely the same as using Windows. I run a malware scan every 6 months or so and never have anything on my machine. If you practice safe use/browsing the device it is actually really hard to get any kind of malware now, it is the same with Android.

alexdavid

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I don't use an antivirus app because imo it isn't necessary unless you are sideloading apk's. Anything you download from google play *shouldn't* contain any malware. Not a blanket statement, but I'd say that anything from a legit developer is perfectly safe and I'd be *very* cautious before downlading any app on a whim from a random developer anyway. Beyond that any malware/whatever that may be on files you might copy from a windows computer is likely designed for windows and can't effect android if it wanted to.

If I was sideloading apk's I'd probably run an on demand scan on them when I do, and I've downloaded lookout to run a scan on occasion just to be sure, but I see no need to have one installed and running on a regular basis.

Using an android device is largely the same as using Windows. I run a malware scan every 6 months or so and never have anything on my machine. If you practice safe use/browsing the device it is actually really hard to get any kind of malware now, it is the same with Android.
Yes you are right if you only download from google store or trusted parties you wont get any virus/malware on your machine but i will still recommend using antivirus cos according to Kaspersky Lab, a maker of antivirus software, there were 14,923 new smartphone malware programs detected between April and June 2012 this is old news and i m sure there are lot more then 14923 malwares out there so you should use Appriva cloud cos it provide total protection against them.

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Yes you are right if you only download from google store or trusted parties you wont get any virus/malware on your machine but i will still recommend using antivirus cos according to Kaspersky Lab, a maker of antivirus software, there were 14,923 new smartphone malware programs detected between April and June 2012 this is old news and i m sure there are lot more then 14923 malwares out there so you should use Appriva cloud cos it provide total protection against them.

Are you a shill for appriva cloud? 4 of your 5 posts here are about it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheOzarks