YouTube app, video lag. Is it just me an my Nexus7?

Ivanamanation#IM

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
When I watch videos, they seem to take a while to buff. It'll play for a few seconds, then stall, then play for a few more seconds an stall again. Its very annoying.

My WiFi is excellent, an I have all my other WiFi enabled electronics turned off.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Does it happen all of the time? Sometimes there can be slowdowns on the server end, in which case your internet speed doesn't matter.

When you say your WiFi is excellent, do you also mean your internet download speed is also excellent? Because they're not always the same. You could have 5 bars on your WiFi signal, but if your ISP is only downloading at 1-2 MBPS, then you'll get stutters with HD videos. You could install the Speedtest app to check your download speed.

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Do a speed test or download an app and see how the speeds are. Make sure it isn't the device, or is it only YouTube?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Ivanamanation#IM

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I meant excellent in both ways. I get 16.71mbps Up and 1.17 up,via speed test.net app..... It happens most of the times. I'm not rooted or unlocked. The OS runs smoothly for the most part. I was thinking the server side also, but when I check on my laptop or YouTube via the N7s browser, its smooth.

MHBlink8

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
When I watch videos, they seem to take a while to buff. It'll play for a few seconds, then stall, then play for a few more seconds an stall again. Its very annoying.

My WiFi is excellent, an I have all my other WiFi enabled electronics turned off.

This happens to me all of the time. The only way around it, I've found, is to unchecked HD quality, which sucks because I have 20MBps down.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

MHBlink8

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Since the recent update to the YouTube app, I haven't had the buffering issue anymore. It appears that it had been fixed.

Colin Crowley

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
My suggestions. Is to turn currents off of syncing it bogs down bandwidth in 4.2

But for me, it won't help I have only a 1gig DL cap on my stupid Centurytel dsl

admiralcrom

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
But in non HD mode I can stream easy. Until I go somewhere I won't know if its my network or the nexus for sure. I have turned off most of the other apps background data modes and it does help.

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
But in non HD mode I can stream easy. Until I go somewhere I won't know if its my network or the nexus for sure. I have turned off most of the other apps background data modes and it does help.

This might be a dumb question but how do stream in non HD mode? I do not see this option in Settings on the YouTube app I have on my n7.

MHBlink8

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
This might be a dumb question but how do stream in non HD mode? I do not see this option in Settings on the YouTube app I have on my n7.

See the HD icon in the lower right hand corner? Just tap it and it will then stream SD video.

uploadfromtaptalk1357353080294.jpg
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Thought there might be a permanent app setting like there is on my galaxy s3.

MHBlink8

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
That's probably a Touchwiz thing because I don't have that option on my Galaxy Nexus either.

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
That's probably a Touchwiz thing because I don't have that option on my Galaxy Nexus either.

Really? I've got the option to view in HQ, and also the option "preload" subscription videos to prevent buffering. If I had these options on my n7 I probably wouldn't be having these problems.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Jeffxs7

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
YES! I just came here and created an account so I could ask about this very problem. Since I got my Nexus 7 I've been virtually unable to watch videos in HD, wheather it's through a browser (I've tried a few) or through the youtube app.

I have an iphone 4s and a windows 8 pc, and I can stream HD quality videos fine through my wifi home internet, but on the Nexus 7 I have to turn tbe HD off, otherwise, it buffers after every 4 to 8 seconds of playing. Even just trying to pause it for a min doesn't help because it just loads so slow.

As I said, I have my other devices that have never had this problem unless maybe something else is downloading on another machine, in which case it would be expectex to not be able to watch HD.

Does the nexus not like linksys routers? Is it an issue if some ports that need to be opened?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol