So I left the N7 turned off for a week or so, then came back to update it and get ready for the road. For the record it's was fully charged when I left it, and I shut it down before putting it away. I didn't leave it go to sleep since I knew I was putting it aside for a while.

So I tried to restart it and nothing. No lights, no action,l no screen, nada. Thinking I may have forgotten and left it on I put it on a charger. After a bit the screen LEDs came on dimly, and the screen flickered a staticy pattern, then went out for a second. Pattern, go out, hesitate. Pattern, go out, hesitate. Pattern, go out, hesitate. Pattern, go out, hesitate. On and on.

So I googled for this one and found someone recommending holding down power. I held it down and the flicker stopped but the screen remained sidelit until I released the button. Then it resumed it's flicker/out pattern. Someone else said hold it a LONG time, so I held it a few minutes. Same thing.

Do I have a dead N7? Is there another course of action? I've had it since they came out, so I doubt it's in warranty anymore.
    12-07-2012 03:15 PM
    press and hold the power button for 15 -20 seconds.
    12-07-2012 03:30 PM
    This doesn't sound good. Try a hard reset with the power and volume up/down buttons (search the forums or Google it - lots of examples). Try the hard reset while connected to your computer, too. Otherwise...

Warranty in the USA is one year. If you bought it directly from Google, contact Google support at 855-836-3987 (US number). I've heard various stories that they will offer a free exchange well after their official 15 day return policy. A recent thread here spoke of such a thing 4 months after purchase! It's worth a call. If you didn't buy from Google, you'll definitely have to deal directly with Asus. That's not too bad, but you'll be without your precious for a couple weeks.
    12-07-2012 03:35 PM
    Ugh. I was involved in the preorder fiasco. I finally cancelled the order and got it from Sams club, where they had had it for a couple of weeks while I was still waiting for my preorder to ship. So I guess I will call Google and see what kind of additional hassle I need to go through.
    12-07-2012 04:43 PM
    ,hey I'm having the same problem I plugged it in 1 night and I thought maybe I had laid on it or something (I know BONEHEAD) and overheated it, but it would not come on. When I turned it on it made the sounds of coming ON, and it turn itself off from then on it hasn't started back up until the other day(a week later). I tried turning it on and surprisingly it did and then it just went black again and it did not turn itself back on after that. I will try holding the power button down for 30sec and see what happens.
    12-07-2012 06:44 PM
    Well, thinking that maybe the battery WAS completely flat and it was having problems recovering on a very low battery I let it charge for 5 hours. More than enough. It's still doing the same thing. I think it's totally dead. Oddly I just came from the Apple Store where I was considering an iPad Mini. This is quite annoying. You get to rely on these gadgets Fortunately I have the N10 and an iPad 3, so while they aren't as handy as the N7 they will travel OK. I should have gotten the Note 2 and just carried that for my wandering-arouind gadget.
    12-07-2012 07:02 PM