My Nexus 7 tablet crashes my work wireless router - any fixes?

kevinsh7

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I usually keep my Nexus 7 in my backpack with just the screen powered down. It is able to connect to my work wireless router.
If I forget to turn off the tablet's wireless connection, then sometime within the next 3 hours the network wireless router will hang-up until I pull the tablet out of my backpack and toggle it off.
Router will resume functioning immediately after tablet is disconnected.

Router is rock stable with the dozen or so other wireless devices on the network.
Router never has a problem unless my tablet is connected to it and even then it can take up to 3 hours before the router will hang-up.

Anyone else seeing this? Any fixes besides toggling the Nexus 7's wireless connection?

Since its my work router I have no stats on it.

chucklesnc

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
i have the same issue but with my home router. after connecting to wifi for a period of time my router crashes and requires a reboot. it doesn't appear to happen on other routers' at friends etc. is this a router or nexus issue? how can it be fixed?

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Whatever the Nexus 7 may be doing the work router is still faulty, a client device should not be able to make the router lock up. Perhaps suggest to whoever is in charge of the router to see if there is a firmware update that may fix the issue.

Still even though the router shouldn't behave this way it sounds like it could be the result of a bug in the nexus 7's Wi-Fi code, maybe you want to search the android bug tracker and see if there are any similar bugs there and if not file a new bug report and with any luck you might be able to help get it fixed for the next update.

If the router can't be fixed, as a workaround you may want to use NFC tags to quickly toggle the Wi-Fi on/off when you get to work or maybe when you leave home.

Flukster

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same issue on my home router. it only has issues when my nexus 7 is running and it only happens after atleast an hour of use. I have a trend network tew-639gr and iI am running the latest firmware (I think), just update in September's, but iI will double check that...

Matthieu Verpoort

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
i have the same problem with my home router, i installed openwrt on it to see if its software on the router but the same ting happens, i have the same with my phone and it happend after i got 4.2 on my nexus 7 and my galaxy nexus, when i turn of wifi on both my home network runs great.
if i turn 1 on my wireless crashes, sometimes it is totaly gone sometimes i can see it but not connect to it, if a computer is connected with wifi at that moment it will have a network untill it reboots the wifi, so i have to reset the radio on my wifi, just logging on with a cabled computer works.
i din't not find a solution yet so far, to bad cos my nexus 7 is just collecting dust since its on wifi only

i hope someone got a fix for this

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
This is just a shot in the dark, but the only reason I can see a device crashing/locking up a router is a IP conflict. If possible, go into your router setup (usually 192.168.1.1 in your browser address bar) and look for "DHCP Reservations" in the DHCP Server section (Usually on the first "Setup" page). Find your Nexus 7 MAC address (Settings> WI-FI> 3 dots (Top right comer under clock)> Advanced>). Reserve it a spot up away from all the others, say 192.168.1.200 (range 1-254, keeping in mind that 1 is the router it's self).

You can also find your MAC address and see where everything on the routers at ( and any conflicts) with this free app called Fing. The MAC addresses being the weird smaller number under all the 192.168 stuff (and yes the colons ":" are part of the number you would enter).

gIvUMrQosB1BL1YdoCCnUAgqWEIaZcj_aM0L2yAFlY6MpGoPxHsIQgOftZQNX4EYR_M

I also like this app called Wifi Analyzer that shows you all the signals out there...

also free...

TU-HX4NPq5GLdOY8KNVtw3tRWFTOWTsafpWzxJCwdZckpKlNQL27Dqr47rdefDNxhw

Hope this helps...;)

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
In addition, I found this on another forum:

"When you go to settings - wifi, there's a plus in the upper right to add a network, if you add your wireless network name and tick 'advanced' you have the option of DHCP or static"

"Static" being your Nexus will only connect on a specific IP address (ie. 192.168.1.200 or whatever). This may causes connection issues if the IP you set is out of the range setup on your router.

"DHCP" means an IP assigned by the router.

282969_4606500333046_1134826634_n.jpg

530308_4606559254519_171696069_n.jpg

And someone please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this. I've managed to make it for years now (until recently) without having to study all this crap...lol

Last edited:

Matthieu Verpoort

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
i acted to quick, 5 days after a 'succesfull' attempt to fix this problem, it came back ... back to square one, any other ideas?
oh i also tryed an other router, same model, new out of the box, still the same happens.

Kev O

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Just over a week ago, I upgraded my phone to a new LG Optimus G (Sprint) with android 4.0.4. The phone's amazing, but once connected to my router (Linksys WRVS4400N), things went awry almost immediately. Within hours of connecting, my router completely locks up--no internet on both my hardwired and wireless network. I kept resetting both my cable modem and router, but the problem appeared frequently and randomly every day--very annoying. For the past couple of days, I have been scratching my head and searching for a solution to this problem, trying all sorts of fixes. However, I found a simple solution: Turn off wifi during sleep! It's been a couple of days now without any lockups, so this may be a promising workaround. If you want to know more, read on.

From what I've gathered, these are some common symptoms when an android device is connected:
  • Router crashes/locks up after some random time
  • Hardwired and/or wireless devices cannot access network after some time
  • Router reports dropped wireless packets (rises as time goes by)
  • When reset, the router may not set the correct time automatically via NTP
  • LAN or Internet performance dramatically decreases, then crashes completely (wireless goes down first, then the LAN a couple minutes later).
    For me, while my access was slowing down, I immediately checked my router settings and some of the information and reports did not make sense. First, the router somehow erased all statistics on my wireless lan (packets sent/received, dropped, etc.)--displays all 0 (Local network stats remained intact). Second, the MAC address for the wireless side was gone (blank). Third, there were no problems listed in the log while performance was slowing. Unfortunately, the router locked up before I could check other pages. I also couldn't view the previous log once I reset the router since it's cleared after each reboot. So, I have no idea what transpired when it actually locked up.​

The cause: Don't know technically, but the problem seems to be related to how some android devices handles wifi connections when the phone is in deep sleep as stated by other android users. This problem seems to be prominent in some android devices that have wifi and 3/4G, bluetooth, and/or cellular connectivity (My android tablet, a Toshiba Thrive-wifi only, has no problem). What I do know is that whenever this device connects with the router, dropped packets are reported. To understand what these dropped packets are, I've tried to capture traffic between my phone and router using wireshark on a laptop to no success--it seems like I need a special wifi card which I don't need right now. Maybe someone else could figure out what the trigger is? Or what the phone does on wifi when sleeping?

Steps to reproduce this problem:
  1. If you haven't done so, delete the wifi network on the phone and undo any prior fixes on the router and phone (make sure wifi is always on during sleep). Next, reboot the router and phone.
  2. Now, connect your android phone to wifi as if for the first time.
  3. On the android device, do something on the internet while on wifi.
  4. After doing your business, let the phone sleep for a couple hours with no interruptions. Sorry, no calls, texts, etc.during this period. But keep data and bluetooth enabled (not sure if it has any bearing, but it might be triggering something in the OS)
Now, while it's sleeping, observe the router statistics, logs, and reports from time to time for any anomalies. Within a few hours after sleeping, you may realize that you can no longer connect to the LAN or internet from any hardwired and/or wireless device in your network. If you try to connect to wifi via the phone, you will see that when connecting, it goes to an endless cycle of scanning, connecting and disconnecting--or--when waking up the phone, all you get are grey bars for wifi.

The solution: Turn off wifi during sleep! Don't know how/why it works, but it works. There's no reason to always keep wifi on while sleeping unless you're concerned with data usage. Plus, it's a waste of battery. Unfortunately, this setting is not so easy to find (at least on mine). To access this setting, go to Settings > Wifi. You should see a list of wifi networks. Next, tap/press the menu key. Tap "Advanced" > "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep". Set this option to "Never". Note: The way to get to this setting may be different on other devices, so just look for that option in your settings--remember, when in doubt, press the menu key! After changing the policy, reboot the phone and router and connect your phone to wifi.

I hope this helps!

GuccizBud

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
The problem isn't limited to sleep. Right now I'm having this problem and sleep has nothing to do with it :

• I'm about to leave the house, so until a few seconds from now, my Android has been connected to my home router via Wi-Fi
  • I leave, and as I get a few feet away from the house, my home Wi-Fi signal becomes out of range and disconnects; immediately after, my ISP data signal (LTE, say) kicks in
  • I stay out for about an hour, connected by LTE or wtv, then start heading back
  • When I'm a few feet from the house again, my phone detects my home Wi-Fi signal again, so it drops the LTE and connects to the home Wi-Fi signal again

Up to this point, everything is as it's always been, and there are no problems anywhere. And, in the past, this would be where the story ended. But as of late, I have to add one final bullet point :

• I enter the house, and find out that, a few seconds ago there, when my phone reconnected to my home Wi-Fi? It crashed the router.

That's what's been happening. I have someone inside the house, tell them when in a couple minutes away, and they start monitoring the situation, and confirm to me that, yes, the internet works fine until I re-enter the house, which is a few seconds after my phone reconnects to the Wi-Fi. Then it dies for everyone, because the router actually stops broadcasting the home SSID. So obviously no devices inside the house can connect anymore (including my phone), and the router needs to be reset. After the reset, everything is fine, until the next day, when it may or may not happen again (it seems to be about 50/50).

When it stops broadcasting the house SSID, every device can still see all the other (locked) Wi-Fi signals in the area, just not ours, the home one. Router reset fixes it.

That's my situation right now, and as you can see, sleep isn't part of it. If you guys who DID find the problem was sleep related for you did also find a fix accordingly, then that's great; I'm only pointing out that the situation of an Android device negatively affecting a router can come about in other ways. And this started after a full year with the same phone and the same router not ever displaying this behavior even once, all of a sudden *boom* it's nearly every day.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463