Nexus 7 won't turn on no matter what I do

the_jamburglar

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys. So yesterday when my Nexus 7 was at about 15%, the screen kind of went haywire and then the whole thing shut off. I plugged it in to the charger. It turned on and said charging, and after about 4 seconds it told me to connect my charger and it shut off again. I tried multiple chargers in multiple outlets. I let it charge for about 7 hours, and now it won't turn on at all. I tried the method where you hold the power button down for 20-30 seconds. Didn't work. :( I also tried a hard reset where I hold the power button down along with the volume buttons... still nothing. My n7 was working perfectly since I got it a couple months back. I'm not sure what to do. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys. So yesterday when my Nexus 7 was at about 15%, the screen kind of went haywire and then the whole thing shut off. I plugged it in to the charger. It turned on and said charging, and after about 4 seconds it told me to connect my charger and it shut off again. I tried multiple chargers in multiple outlets. I let it charge for about 7 hours, and now it won't turn on at all. I tried the method where you hold the power button down for 20-30 seconds. Didn't work. :( I also tried a hard reset where I hold the power button down along with the volume buttons... still nothing. My n7 was working perfectly since I got it a couple months back. I'm not sure what to do. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Call Google or return it where you bought it.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

bigbeerdrinker

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same issue
I bought my nexus 7 back in July and I haven't had any issues with it until this morning. I was using it with about 16% battery left and all of a sudden it just shut off. So I put it on the charger for about 2 hours and tried to power it on. I have to hold the power button down for 20 seconds or so and after it gets to my home screen it will stay on for about 5 seconds before the screen goes crazy and shuts off. All of this done while plugged in to power.

Any ideas before I call Google?

This better not be a bad experience...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

dacubz

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
This has happened to me a few times too, but it has come back. Just wondering when it will die for good. I will contact Google about it. Has anybody done so already?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Xterror

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
This happened to me 2 weeks after the n7 was released, i ordered mine when it was announced. It happened after my 2 yr old dropped it from a foot high onto carpet. It wouldn't turn back on no matter what I did. I called Google, leaving the drop part out , and they sent me an advance replacement. A few weeks later I got a refund too for the bad unit I got replaced, so my n7 ended being free from an RMA mistake :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

livingconfused

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Mine did this the day after it arrived in the mail. I looked around and it seems to be a common problem. Just search "nexus 7 won't turn on" and see all the other people with the same issue you and I both had.

Advice that sometimes worked was to hold down the power button for a ridiculously long time (30+ seconds and sometimes up to a minute) and it would finally turn on, which was usually true for me as well. Usually, but not always. Sometimes I would have to let it "rest" for a while and then come back and it would turn on...

Now some people said they were happy that they had a fix for it by doing this ridiculous procedure, like crankstarting an early 20th century horseless carriage...

Me? I returned mine after another 2 days of dealing with it, and got an ipad. Because turning on a device is the most basic of functionality, and the fact that google/asus managed to f' that up and still sell it knowing that it was a common problem is inexcusable. I lost $30 in the shipping process to and from which annoyed me. The worst is, I really wanted to like it, and did when it was on. But one major point of a tablet versus a laptop or PC is not waiting for it to boot up. I'm not an apple fanboy at all. But the ipad always turns on with the click of a button...

YMMV

Andras Kovacs

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Same problem here. I bought the unit from Costco. It was running for 24 h, then nothing, it wont turn on.

The screen is flickering, I have some sort of "snow" on the screen but mostly it is black. The back light is working but the screen remains black.

The unit was never running perfectly ....

Version 4.1: didn't react to some clicks, it was freezing, Needed to reboot several times.

Version 4.2: Was running, then it gave clock errors (know issue), Bluetooth stopped working, Still the same click issues, very slow on some web pages, the second account that I added to my Nexus 7 didn't work properly. Sound quality issues.

Looks like the Nexus 7 is new Blackberry with the same bugs and reliability issues.

hiero

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
just an fyi for anyone who's having these kinds of issues, wiredfellow in this thread suggested taking a look under the back cover at the battery connection.
I did this on mine and found that the battery compartment is just a touch bigger than the battery and any sudden jolt to one side could potentially pull the connector out slightly (you can see the extra space in the picture I took below, highlighted red). I put some sugru in the extra space to prevent the battery from moving about and haven't had any issues thus far. (the back cover comes right off just using your nails all the way around, or a spudger of course)

xterror, I bet that's what happened to yours, everyone else, go check!

Attachments

• 20121222_132804.jpg
    20121222_132804.jpg
    703.1 KB · Views: 457

ddni

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Perfect fix. My just opened nexus7 had the no charging fault.
On opening the device, the battery connector was dislodged.
All now working.

This is a serious design fault by asus.

Andras Kovacs

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
On my unit the battery was connected (Since backlight was working).

At Cotco they had no idea how to take back the Nexus 7. It looks like they don't have much return on the Nexus 7.
So maybe I just got one of those 0.1% defective units. I ordered another one on the web (Local store was out of stock on the Nexus 7).

hiero

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
On my unit the battery was connected (Since backlight was working).

At Cotco they had no idea how to take back the Nexus 7. It looks like they don't have much return on the Nexus 7.
So maybe I just got one of those 0.1% defective units. I ordered another one on the web (Local store was out of stock on the Nexus 7).

I'm not sure that's a foolproof test (backlight on) because the battery isn't completely disconnected with this fault mode, it's just slightly dislodged. My 7's backlight would very clearly be on when I held the power button down with odd screen behavior (slight digital 'snow').

Jesse Ocegueda

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
i just got the nexus 7 by asus two days ago and last night it started giving me some problems. It wouldent let me turn on from the charging screen to the ON function. but i finnaly got it to work. So i played it a while during its charge. then turned it off and let it charge. this morning it wouldent turn on at all. so i came here and saw the holding down for a long a$$ time and tried it thankfuly it worked but this better not be the begining of of more troubles.

NexusBananas

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Hey, I got a N7 32gb for christmas. I ran the battery to zero (on accident). It would boot up then turn off after charging for an hour. Somehow i got it fixed. It ran it to zero again and the same thing happened but now it would randomly turn on and off. after it did that for about 100 times, it wouldnt even boot. i have tried all of the threads solutions but nothing has worked yet. Please Help!!!!