Nexus 7 won't turn on no matter what I do

Daniel Barclay

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
My son's nexus 7 needs charging below 20% aswel but takes a really long time to turn back on... He only got it for Xmas 2012.
He has a complex communication disorder so relies a lot on his Nexus while calming down.
He watches You tube videos of Batman and superhero Lego characters ...
I'm going to contact Google next as his Nexus hasn't turned on again after we charged it up last night.
My son is really confused as to why he can't go on his Nexus now.
Lots of tears and he is 19years old .
I hope I get some answers from Google.
Thank you for sharing your comments.
Julie Barclay .. Mother of Daniel x

Nicole1210

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Thank you! I was freaking out. My nexus isn't even a day old and it was fully charged when it shut off so I took the back off. That plug was loose I pushed it in stuck paper on the side of the battery closed it up and I'm super happy!

Leidy Fajardo

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Hello,
Last night i was using my tablet and then i put it to charge while i was sleeping , when i woke up i went to see if it was full charge and it did not turn on, I dont know what to do :(

How Did u fixed your problem? :-X:-X:-X:-X

Cynthia Richardson

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Thank you so much for this post with attached pic's!!!! I was almost heart broken at the thought of returning my beloved Nexus 7. Although it would have merely been an exchange for a different unit, I greatly appreciate this post ( as well as the post from the person you got this from ) as it has save me much time and frustration. I love this tablet as it's performance is becoming the well known inexpensive alternative to Apple and their iPad, iPod, and iPhone trendsetters. I do not like being limited to a company holding a monopoly over the programs and apps that can and cannot be used with their device. I do not like the lack of versatility, function and capabilities offered by other competitors either. Google supports us up-and-coming design and developers by giving us a device that can do the tasks we ask of it and the freedom to get our apps where we chose, not where we are told to. Perhaps the design team on this project should have been more aware and prepared for this possible issue, perhaps it should not have left the gate with this issue present, perhaps... but perhaps Google and Nexus new the true quality and value of their device in comparison to the limited access versions of the same concept that are way over priced and make you choose between freedom and functionality. My only advice to those so quick to throw in the towel over this minor, and easily repairable, design flaw and pay several hundred dollars for an iPad is that if you are as dedicated to Mac as I am to Google, why were you even exploring the competition? You would always have found something, no matter how minor, and used it as the excuse to crawl back to the iPad. Some people don't like to think, they would rather be governed and that is not necessarily a bad thing, but if you can not even make the effort because you do not know how it works and blah blah blah you are on the wrong side of technological ignorance and will spend the money you work so hard to gain just to be able to keep up with the rest of us.

Sorry for the rant but there is such immaturity all over these forums by people way older than my middle aged self that it is appalling. I am glad that I am one of the few, as are you hiero, that will beseech with confidence a way to fix the issue rather than throwing in the towel. I hope everyone having this issue will read you post and see the pic, as soon as I popped the back off it was obvious that the battery had slipped and the connection was loose. I was back up and running within 5 min. For the quality and freedom the Google Nexus 7 has to offer I do not mind needing to pop open the back and install a friendly little wedge to compensate. Quality is not defined by the price tag it is defined by the level to which the product meets, exceeds, or falls short of the expectation of the targeted following consumer.

Again hiero, thank you a lot. I only pray the others out there will see this before all of the other melodramatic renditions of how we should "flock to Mac. " For those of you siding against this tablet based on a minor hardware , these are not the Droid's your looking for.but if you are open to a device that will become your favorite tool and toy, here it is!, just add a stability piece to your battery and you will never be bothered with this issues again and you still keep your freedom. Get over the fact that every technological advancement has had its issues and google that @@@@ and learn more about your device than just where the power button is and remember that when you call for help be respectful of those employed by any and all of these companies as they take a lot of unnecessary tongue lashings from lazy people who just refuse to be satisfied with any solution they suggest.

tobingaa

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
AW: Nexus 7 won't turn on no matter what I do

@ Adam Thorpe

THANK YOU!

@ Cynthia Richardson

R U serious?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

PhoenixMike

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I had a similar issue where it would not boot up right away. When it did, it did not get past the Google screen because everything got static.
I thought my screen was damaged until I reset again and realized that the start up screen looked perfectly fine.
Even Recovery screen was good. Re flashed the current ROM and all was good.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

digitalzen

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I used this method below and it worked! I had all the same issues-fuzzy screen, wont turn on, ect..

Worth a try..:cool:

With the introduction of Android 4.2 came a number of little obnoxious bugs that we are slowly figuring out fixes for. One of those that has plagued many (according to a variety of forum posts), is a charging issue with the Nexus 7. As users leave their tablet idle for an extended period of time or use it for hours until the battery runs completely dry, the device is having a hell of a time charging back up again or even turning on.

In fact, if you let your Nexus 7 die completely, you may run into a screen flashing or pixel party experience once plugged into a charger that won?t bring you joy. The device, at least mine and in others? cases, won?t turn on with any combination of button pressing. Well, there is one combo along with a charger that worked for me, getting my N7 back on the charging path of pleasure.

To charge a dead Nexus 7:

1. Plug-in your dead N7 to a wall charger. (Jump immediately to step 2.)
2. Immediately after plugging it in, press Volume Down and Power at the same time.

*This should get you into the bootloader menu. You may have to try this with different chargers or test out the timing in order to get it to work.

3. Once in the bootloader menu, use Volume Down until you see ?Power Off Device.?
4. Choose that option with the Power button.
5. Once your device is off, unplug the charger and then plug it back into the device.
6. You should now see the battery meter (pictured above) with your device returning to life.

Hope that helps those of you with dead Nexus 7s. For the rest of you, I suggest not letting your N7 completely run out of juice. Should you see it drop to 10% or under, find yourself a charger.

Worked perfectly for me. Thanks a bunch. I did NOT want to mess around with Google and their warranty.

I would have tried to send it direct to Asus. I've dealt with their warranty dept. before with a netbook. They sent me a new replacement because they couldn't do a 10-day turnaround on my PC. It was a narsty turquoise, but it had a faster processor and it's still working. My wife has it now.

Susan Rose

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
A low tech fix for the wont turn on is never turn it off
Just plug it in whenever you are not using it.
This hypervigilance is stupid but will keep you from saying 3 novenas before your tablet will reboot again,
or repeating about a zillion times I will not buy another google tablet =ever.
( by the way holding the volume up button and the on button at the same time seems to help
but only after about 40 seconds)
I would not recommend this tablet but for now I am dealing with it

Joe Blow1

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I was ready to return mine (or throw it out the window) when I came upon the tip to check the battery connection. i did and now it charges and works like a charm. Thanks!

liarni

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
fair play this was so right just took the back off and it was exactly what was wrong thank u very much u have just made a 12 yr old smile again :)
how bad are these things made the company should be ashamed !

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
fair play this was so right just took the back off and it was exactly what was wrong thank u very much u have just made a 12 yr old smile again :)
how bad are these things made the company should be ashamed !

Just one of the drawbacks of having a battery that can be replaced without a soldering iron (ipads). Also acts as a break away in case of drop, which I suspect is the case here.....

Stella Breathnach

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I got my nexus 7 about 3 weeks ago and already it is not working since Saturday
I am really fed up
and it seems to be the same as all the others on here not charging or turning on
Now i want to get a
new one and if it happens again I will give up and hope i get a refund and get an Ipad
but my son has my receipt in London as he bought it
Will Google listen to me without my receipt or can he scan it and send to them?

Rayzaa

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
I got my nexus 7 about 3 weeks ago and already it is not working since Saturday
I am really fed up
and it seems to be the same as all the others on here not charging or turning on
Now i want to get a
new one and if it happens again I will give up and hope i get a refund and get an Ipad
but my son has my receipt in London as he bought it
Will Google listen to me without my receipt or can he scan it and send to them?

Or you could just take the back off and fix it. I have a iPad Mini as well and like the N7 much more. Cant stand not having a back button is one of the big gripes.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy