How do you exit Chrome ????

LordAndroid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I just bought my N7 a few days ago. I've been using Chrome browser and after I'm done surfing I don't see an option in the settings to close the app am I just missing it?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The way Android works, supposedly you don't need to close anything, because the system will keep it active in the background if you need it, or close it if it needs more space. The only way to completely close Chrome is to go to Manage Apps and Force Close it, but you really don't need to. I know that other browsers like Dolphin give you an actual exit button that completely closes the app, but presumably that leads to a somewhat slower startup time when you want to open it again.

LordAndroid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
That's sounds like its running in the background until I open it again. But in the same hand not sure if I'm fond of it doing that. Could lead to battery consumption.

fed123

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I use the recent apps button. I don't know whether that closes anything but when I go to settings it is no longer running.

LordAndroid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I use the recent apps button. I don't know whether that closes anything but when I go to settings it is no longer running.

I have made it muscle memory to do this also, but not really sure if that's completely closing the app or its removing it from the list of multitasking altogether.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It just removes it from the list, doesn't close it. For example, if you start playing music with Pandora, go to the homescreen, bring up the recent apps list, and swipe away Pandora, the music is still playing, so it wasn't closed.

As far as I know, Chrome doesn't stay active for very long if you move away from it. The system might cache the process so that it can restart quickly, but that doesn't mean it's using any battery. You could always do a quick experiment by opening Chrome, then going back to the homescreen, then check Running Apps to see if Chrome shows up. Then see how long it takes for it to disappear from the list.

LordAndroid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
It just removes it from the list, doesn't close it. For example, if you start playing music with Pandora, go to the homescreen, bring up the recent apps list, and swipe away Pandora, the music is still playing, so it wasn't closed.

As far as I know, Chrome doesn't stay active for very long if you move away from it. The system might cache the process so that it can restart quickly, but that doesn't mean it's using any battery. You could always do a quick experiment by opening Chrome, then going back to the homescreen, then check Running Apps to see if Chrome shows up. Then see how long it takes for it to disappear from the list.

That explains why chrome browser is as fast as it is there's no real way to exit out it LOL unless you force close it. But then it won't be as fast upon opening it again its a catch 22

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Close the tabs at the top by hitting the x then just hit the back button. You can then also go to recent apps and swipe it away.

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
You can stop it by using an autotask killer set to close it or you can manually drive a stake thru it's heart by stopping it------- Applications ----> Running ---> Chrome ---> Services ----> Stop 'Button'

Damn vampire apps...just want to see what yer doing and hang around so they can make money. Not on my puter !!

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
That's sounds like its running in the background until I open it again. But in the same hand not sure if I'm fond of it doing that. Could lead to battery consumption.

That is a very good concern, but it is not valid.

In Windows, for example, when you minimize it, it is running in (almost) FULL force, the only difference is you can't see it. It still requires RAM, CPU, etc.

For Android, when an app is 'minimized', that isn't the case.

All apps use two primary methods of getting things accomplished: Services, and Activities. Activities are the screens that you see. For example, the web browser. Services is are tasks that are completed, regardless of the activity. So when you click the download link in the browser, the Browser Activity is then sending a message to start the Download Service. When you minimize the app, the Browser Activity is frozen in time and will no longer consume CPU cycles. The download, however, will continue until it is done.

So if you are watching an HTML5 video in the browser and you minimize it, you will notice that the sound stops. That is because the video is not being done by a service, but the activity. The activity cannot consume cycles if it is minimized so the system will not allow the video to continue playing. This is a very strategic design decision to save on power consumption.

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately you only discuss part of the issue. If an app starts a background process to sync or fetch advertising for example, it consumes I/O bandwidth that should be used by your foreground app and battery charge needed for those operations. This is in fact very common with apps.

More importantly, as the computer is MINE, I am the ultimate arbiter of what it should do. If I , in all of my ignorance, decide that an app should be done, then it should not start background processes or remain in the background doing whatever it or its programmer decides to do. That simple.

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
If an app is running wasteful services, it is bad programming and you express that in your app review and by uninstalling. This is not an issue with how Android handles applications.

Even if you kill apps using a task killer(which you shouldn't be auto killing on android 2.2 and higher), Android will automatically reload your memory. To experiment: kill everything, let it sit there for 30 minutes and look again, you will see all kind of apps on the list that you haven't launched since you killed everything.

In windows, free memory is a good thing. In Android, free memory is a bad thing. Why? If your email application sits in your RAM, opening it costs very little resources. However, if you kill it to get it out of your RAM, the next time your load it, it must first be moved from your auxiliary memory to your ram first, wasting cycles. If a particular app needs more RAM (like a game), Android will automatically remove other apps to make room.

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
So removing an app from the "Recent Apps" list doesn't quit it? Then how do I quit them? And is there a way to change that kind of behaviour?

that is correct. Removing an app from the recent apps does nothing except remove it from that list.

You can force them to quit by using a task killer, but that should ONLY be done if the app is bugging out, not out of normal usage.

No, you cannot and should not change that behavior because it actually SAVES battery to keep in the RAM. Remember, when you minimize an app, it isn't consuming CPU cycles like in Windows, which is what kills battery. Sitting in your ram does not hurt your battery life.

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
The last thing I am going to worry about is the nanoseconds to milliseconds it takes to read a file from storage and transfer it into the processing area on solid state memory. That time consumption is trivial compared to how long it takes me to move my hand and press an execute button. Did you think that Android automatically reallocating memory does not consume the same I/O or processor cycles you claim to want to save by leaving apps we are finished with in memory ?

It's not a question of whether apps run wasteful services, it's just how very many there are that DO and how pervasive they are under Android. The fact that Android does not help mitigate bad behavior by design IS the issue. You appear to see Android reloading what it likes as a bonus - I see it as an OS out of control.

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
No, nano seconds is not what you should be concerned about. It is the wasted clock cycles, which means wasted battery. Also, it makes the system seem more fluid if it can load directly from RAM.

It isn't Windows and I admit that it seems counter intuitive. However, the system works the way it does to improve performance and battery life. Just because it is a different design decision, doesn't mean it is bad.

kimikookskookis

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I at least want the option to kill apps every once in a while. There are apps I use only every couple days or weeks, and in that time I don't want them to waste my resources.

And even for apps I house daily or even hourly: with that hardware it shouldn't take much longer to start an app that was not backgrounded. So unless the app has a splash screen (which is only okay for games!) it shouldn't make much of a difference.

Again I want to know: are there apps that log my apps memory and cpu usage? Or how much they impact the battery? I am currently making a list of apps I will download on my Nexus 7, and such apps are a must-have for me. Just like in Windows I have my Task Manager, even though it doesn't make logs. Or #ps on Linux, which I at least can make to write a log.

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Do not kill apps thinking it is going to make your device run faster or use less battery. If you kill apps using a an auto killer, it will hurt your performance, not help it. Do not think about it as 'saving resources'; that is a complete misnomer about how Android works. If you want to kill them because you think they are secretly sending your information to companies, by all means.

Yes, the Norton security app does give you a breakdown of battery and memory usage by application, but you can also see the battery breakdown in the settings menu.

Raikku

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
How you reset Chrome? I don't want that it open last visited page when I open it, I want it to clear all when I finish surfing,
and also I would want to get rid of autocompleting.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie