Nexus 7 printing to Brother HL-1440

nelhop

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone managed to print by wifi to the Brother HL-1440 laser printer? I have tried several printing apps and haven't been able to print. Brother does not support the HL-1440 with its own app. I have tried PrinterShare and PrintBot and can't get either one to work. My printer is set up to share for wireless printing and I have no problem wifi printing from my laptop. I know the HL-1440 is an old printer, but it has been faithful for many years and uses toner very sparingly and I will keep it until it dies. Quoting from Hamlet: Is old dog my reward?

simeonnevel

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Have you used Cloud Print?

That's what I've been using. There's a bit of setup via Google but it works for me.

Simeon

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

nelhop

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Simeon,

I haven't tried Cloud Print because it requires the Chrome browser installed on my desktop. I am hesitant to install yet another browser (I use Firefox) on my 8 year old Dell desktop but I may try that if nothing else works.

simeonnevel

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Simeon,

I haven't tried Cloud Print because it requires the Chrome browser installed on my desktop. I am hesitant to install yet another browser (I use Firefox) on my 8 year old Dell desktop but I may try that if nothing else works.

You're welcome..

I can print from anywhere I have Wi-Fi.

I scare the hell out of my wife sometimes when the printer starts by itself...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site

I can't help you on your printer, but I too am a big firefox fan (for many years now). But while chrome takes a tiny bit of getting use to, it works well and doesn't take up much room. Plus it really helps to have all your stuff through google because you can do "IT" (email, bookmarks, open tabs, etc..) either on your desktop or your tablet and they'll both be the same. The two things I want on chrome (which firefox has) is the scrolling tabs (desktop version, as apposed to shrinking them), and the not loading a old tab after restart until you actually click on it. Saves much much memory because I like a lot of tabs.....

btw, I know this doesn't help you either but the brother app works great on my MFC-7840W via wifi....

Good luck with it...

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't be afraid to install Chrome on your 8yr old Dell. It generally seems leaner/faster than firefox in my experience anyway.

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
If you do install Chrome, you might want to disable two of it's gratiutous background startup processes that leach RAM, boot, and CPU cycles.

They can be removed in the Tools --> Startup ---> Google Chrome tab of the free application CCleaner (a must have cleanup utility for windows)

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
If you do install Chrome, you might want to disable two of it's gratiutous background startup processes that leach RAM, boot, and CPU cycles.

They can be removed in the Tools --> Startup ---> Google Chrome tab of the free application CCleaner (a must have cleanup utility for windows)

Not to get off on a whole chrome thing, but not seeing "startup" under tools?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

scooter7

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I too have that exact same printer and have had no problems printing to it using the PrinterShare app. I do have the full version, as I got it with the free app of the day on Amazon Appstore a while back. Could it maybe be how your wifi is setup?

nelhop

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I too have that exact same printer and have had no problems printing to it using the PrinterShare app. I do have the full version, as I got it with the free app of the day on Amazon Appstore a while back. Could it maybe be how your wifi is setup?
Yes, of course my wifi setup could be at fault but I haven't any idea how to check that. Do you have Windows XP? That's what I have. What's puzzling is that I don't have any problems printing from my laptop by wifi. My desktop computer is connected to the printer. In fact, I have a second printer, Canon iP4920, also connected to the desktop that I use when I need a color print. The laptop prints by wifi to that one, too. But PrinterShare can't find either one. There is no "wizard" to guide you through the process for the tablet. Do you have an idea what I can try?

nelhop

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I kept trying to get PrinterShare to work. I finally went to their website and downloaded PrinterShare software on my desktop, followed instructions and selected the HL-1440. The PrinterShare app on the Nexus now found my printer. I printed a "test"page but when I went to print an email I was required to purchase the premium key at $12.99. That's a bit dear for an occasional print. I guess I'll try Cloud Print.

Jerry Runnels

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
i saw this thread and need help figuring out how to print from my nexus 7 2nd gen tablet to my wireless Brother MFC JD470DW printer. i have Cloudprint on my nexus and use Chrome exclusively as my browser. I went into my Print settings and both the wireless printer and my Brother HL2240 are listed there. My only problem is i dont know how to order a print of say an email message. Can you tell me where i can get that information? Just the mechanics of how to order a print on my wireless printer? Thanks very much. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12