Recommended storage (16/32) and accessories - and where to buy?

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
I'm getting my kids (8 & 10) and me one for Christmas and (hopefully obviously) don't want to spend any more than necessary (I envy my parents when Christmas gifts consisted of Hot Wheels cars and GI Joe's!) so have these two questions:

What is the recommended storage? I know the 16GB is 199 and the 32GB is 249
We'll use it primarily for games for them and some music as well, but I'd like the option of some short movies or something, though that would be rare. I know the 16GB can handle the music alone, and we don't put too many pics on there or high-powered (i.e. memory intensive) games - but that could change since before it's only been my phone, not a tablet. Particularly looking for input from those who use the N7 for their kids. Will the 16 be sufficient or should I spring the extra $50 and play it safe?

What are the recommended accessories? When my kids use it, it will generally be in the car or on the couch, and I don't have any hard floors or stairs, so I'm not really worried about drop-potential. They've used my phone often and I've never had any problems at all with it. But how about bluetooth headphones, speakers, cases, or other accessories?

Last, I see the price is the same everywhere, so does it matter where I buy, and if so, where is the best place to buy from? Does anyone offer any free accessories with purchase or a cheaper protection plan, etc?

Thanks all!

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
if you plan on using it for music, movies, and games, most certainly the 32GB.

Most 3D games are going to take up around 1-2GB of storage so 16GB will get consumed real quick.

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
As I stated in a previous thread on the 16/32 question, of course 32. At least at the current price point as it relates to similar products.

1. If you keep it for any length of time, 32 will become a very small number (eventually too small for the latest whatever).

2. If you only keep it for a short time, 32 will help the resale value (which "should not determine a purchase like this" but should be at least a consideration).

I look at it like a gas tank on a car, bigger is always better. But either way you'll be glad you bought one....

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
Cool - thanks for the input. Pretty much what I was thinking, just nice to have a little affirmation!

Does anyone know of any retailers that are having any deals on the N7, particularly the 32gb? At this point it would have to be an in-store purchase, I think, as opposed to on-line.

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Sorry no, mine is a 3g model and came from the Google store. It was ordered on a Monday morning and arrived the next Thursday morning, and I'm in NC. I think they're marking them all 2nd day air (but it takes a day or so for them to get to UPS) so don't pay extra for it because ( according to a earlier thread) I don't think it helps. Tax was $21.13 (NC 7.5% on $299) and shipping was $13.99 for a total of $334.12. Your best bet (which I'm sure you've already done) to find the best deal locally is to google it.

jamojamo

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I bought a my 32wifi at Walmart. No special deals but they have a warranty for drops, water etc for $28 which I thought was ok.

Staples is another option.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Dplymkr88#AC

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
The 16 GB is nearly impossible to find now. I have been looking for the 16GB but it's out everywhere except for a few online outlets. Something like that I prefer to buy at a B and M location.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463