Google now voice has changed to US accent

dashdashdot

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I updated several apps recently, the last of which was Google Search (not sure if that's relevant) and now when I ask Google Now a question using the voice thingy, the voice which tells me I'm going to need my umbrella tomorrow has changed from my nice UK accented man to a slightly nasal sounding American woman. I've looked through various settings and everything seems to be set to UK English.

Is there a way to get my dulcet-toned man back?

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
We are coming for your beer next. The plan is to put it all in the refrigerator.

I have seen that coming up here and there but no real answer to it. I just played with mine and I have a british guy.

I would clear cache on the search app and see what that does. Alternatively, change it to american, reboot, change it to british, reboot.

dashdashdot

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
You can have the beer - I drink rum!

One of the ratings/comments on the app page on Google Play also mentioned this problem, so hopefully it's not just me being a complete eejit. I'm an Android virgin - my phone is of the stupid, rather than smart, variety, so it's possible I've messed something up.

Tried changing from UK-US-UK with no success. Will now try emptying the cache, if I can remember how. Otherwise I'll just have to wait and see if Google sort it out in the next update.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
No it isn't you. I saw a few other comments on here and other forums all the way back to August of this year.

Not sure what to clear but I can look it up. To get you started it is settings, application manager all applications... Then which ever one. Could be search or language or text to speech.

Rum--see that is where you brits messed up. You should have kept Jamaica and everything around it. Screw the colonies and Spain, prioritize!

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

dashdashdot

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Jamaica is part of the Commonwealth and dear old Liz is still their queen, so we're hanging on with the very ends of our fingernails! I'm doing my best to keep their economy going by knocking back their dark rum. We all have to do our bit in these hard times.

Cache clearing didn't bring back my suave man. :(

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
yeah but it is sorta like Canada isnt it? Same queen, no real British control...

Which app did you clear?

While flipping through I saw a few things.

One, make sure that under language and input, then voice search, language, that the setting is English-UK
two, same for Google voice typing

dashdashdot

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I cleared the Google Search cache. All of the settings you mentioned are @ UK English and yet I still have the American woman telling me that I won't need my umbrella while I'm lying here listening to it pouring with rain outside. I'm in England, for goodness sake - of course I need my umbrella! The British man would have known that.

Will just have to hope that the next update sorts it out. Thanks for your help.

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
The important thing is not the accent, but the language. As long as it's using the American language and not that odd British language, everything should be fine.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
and yet I still have the American woman telling me that I won't need my umbrella while I'm lying here listening to it pouring with rain outside. I'm in England, for goodness sake - of course I need my umbrella! The British man would have known that.

This made me chuckle pretty good!

I can't seem to find any videos online showing the British Accent version of Google Now... shame, I was intrigued.

dashdashdot

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Oh, that's great, Google! Rub salt into my wounds, why don't you!

There has just been a Nexus 7 ad on TV, with my lovely British-voiced man featured. Almost brought a tear to my eye.

dashdashdot

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Is there a way to contact Google when there are problems with their apps? I did try to find one but, despite the fact I'm a woman and therefore really good at looking for things (and I say this as the mother of two boys,) I couldn't find anything.

Send from my Chromebook

dashdashdot

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Looking through the reviews on Google play, most of them that mention the disappearing man ARE from Nexus 7 owners, but at least one is from a Samsung Galaxy S3 user, so it's not just a Nexus issue, apparently. I expect Google will get their act together eventually. I'll wait. Thank you for your efforts :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iseeyouo-o