Is there any way I can listen to songs on youtube and use other apps at same time?

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Jasmine, a YouTube app on iOS, had this ability. But then Google sent them a message telling them to remove that feature. For some reason Google doesn't want people playing YouTube in the background. Not sure why.

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried bring youtube up in a browser window, playing your music in there and minimizing or making the window small to use another app ?

That could work.

edit: nope, not for me - see if you can get it working

Last edited:

dralezero

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Probably so you see the ads. But wait... If YouTube is running in background you won't be able to skip the ad and have to listen to it all.

Eduardo06sp

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Jasmine, a YouTube app on iOS, had this ability. But then Google sent them a message telling them to remove that feature. For some reason Google doesn't want people playing YouTube in the background. Not sure why.

I'm pretty sure that's illegal, or at least against one of Google's policies. If you streamed Thriller on YouTube and listened to it in the background, wouldn't it be the same thing as buying Thriller from the music store, only free?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that's illegal, or at least against one of Google's policies. If you streamed Thriller on YouTube and listened to it in the background, wouldn't it be the same thing as buying Thriller from the music store, only free?

Yea !! and listening to it on the radio too !! or in a commercial errr, ok, on someones recordplayer and you didn't buy the record...errmm...okok, hummed it in three part harmony but did not buy the sheet music !!!!! /sarc

CJREX

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't the default music player do exactly what you are looking for?

Mine will play in the background unless I'm doing something else that requires sound (games, etc)

repligation

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't the default music player do exactly what you are looking for?

Mine will play in the background unless I'm doing something else that requires sound (games, etc)

Yes it will play music files in the background, but youtube in the mobile browser the youtube app will not. I think Google designs this specifically to prevent people from circumventing the visual advertisements. (Perhaps there is some crazy Firefox addon that will prevent the video from stopping when you switch tabs).

Psst, what I do is use an app to grab the content you want as an mp3 and then do as CJREX has suggested and play in my music player. Not as spontaneous, but workable.

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
No because video is accomplished by an Activity and not a Service and all Activities are frozen in time when they lose focus so they don't consume CPU cycles. In order for them to accomplish this, they would have to create a new service that would start when the activity loses focus due to the limitations of the Android OS.

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
No because video is accomplished by an Activity and not a Service and all Activities are frozen in time when they lose focus so they don't consume CPU cycles. In order for them to accomplish this, they would have to create a new service that would start when the activity loses focus due to the limitations of the Android OS.

That sounds about right. Is there an OS reason why browsers etc. do not have adjustable window size ? I seem to recall some video player that could work in a floating resizable popup window ... SuperVideo - looked it up.

Try that player, jazzyyxo.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e....PopupVideo&feature=nav_result&token=waOI0bjk

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
That sounds about right. Is there an OS reason why browsers etc. do not have adjustable window size ? I seem to recall some video player that could work in a floating resizable popup window ... SuperVideo - looked it up.

Try that player, jazzyyxo.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e....PopupVideo&feature=nav_result&token=3G2B2Q_u

Yes, the reason why you can't have windows side by side (different apps) and truly multi task like you can in Windows is because the Android OS handles these activities one at a time to prevent apps from destroying your battery life.

Interesting, I have never seen that app. For the video shown on the home screen, it looks like they are accomplishing that through a widget. For the screenshot that shows 2 videos side by side within the single app, that wouldn't require anything special to do. Right now, the real impossible thing to do has been getting apps to be able to run side by side with one another. With the Recent Apps screen, it becomes less of an issue though.

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Yes, the reason why you can't have windows side by side (different apps) and truly multi task like you can in Windows is because the Android OS handles these activities one at a time to prevent apps from destroying your battery life.

Sounds like more customizing Android foolishness (...we know better than you do..) to me. Some of us can plug our tablet in most of the time. I think perhaps another reason may be that tablet I/O is inadequate and just as background I/O can supposedly bring foreground apps to their knees (thus creating a need for task killers), multitasking would show the supposed hardware weakness as well. Ah well, better hardware is always on the horizon and I would think the Tegra quad can handle multitasking just fine. More powerful tablets are bound to come soon.

roblox84

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
This is one issue that i hate with YouTube. I frequently listen to music on YouTube at the gym and a while back i was able to put my playlist on auto play, lock the screen and stick my phone in my pocket. Now when i lock the screen YouTube automatically stops.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Mohamad Furqaan

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Download pvstar+ from the play store. Not only can you play in the background, the app also cache the videos so you can watch the videos you've watched again later even when you have no internet.

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
This is what I like about Android....wild wild west !!!

pvstar+ installed and works great --- apparently does not hog all system resources since foreground apps seem to work decently.

paintedspurranch

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Yes download pvstar+ app and it is connected to youtube , and is controlled via pull down menu so you can search web in your browser separately.and music stays playing in background. Works in my gingerbread cell and jelly bean tab.:)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay