Nexus 7 Xmas eve Nightmare

alanandroid

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
Hello Boys and Girls, Seasons Greetings to you all.. Bought 2 Nexus 7's for my kids in November as a Xmas gift. Purchased them through the UK Play store and paid about ?320's worth of hard earned money. Their old ipods were on their last legs and I thought buying the 2 N7 tablets was a better route to go down and you just seemed to get more for your money.
Everything was fine until Xmas eve. Yeah, Xmas ****ing Eve!! I'd been busy the previous weeks installing games and apps and the like so they would be ready for the Big day. No problems generally apart from the occasional having to hold the power button down for longer than you'd expect to bring the device back to life.. Xmas eve arrived and my wife was keen to get the goodies wrapped up and ready as you do. I decided to charge them both up one last time so they'd both be ready for the off so to speak. This is when the problem began. Noticed one of them kept rebooting and just seemed to be in a continuous cycle of booting up then shutting down. It just didn't want to charge! Don't know how you'd feel but you can imagine to our horror the thoughts of not being able to give one of our kids their Big prezzie on that special day. Anyway, decided to do the usual and started to Google the problem. Bearing in mind this was about 10pm on Xmas eve. Funny, not. And, wo and behold loads of people with the same issue. Pages of punters with the same hassle. Many of them saying they'd taken the back off the Nexus and reconnected the battery cable or some sort of button holding exercise to reset the damn thing. Eventually, we thought we'd go down the route of disconnecting the battery. So, with caution I slid my nail under the cover of the offending Nexus. Carefully pulling away the plastic until the back came away. With the help of another Google search to ifixit and pictures and video later my wife gently pulled the battery cable away and then reconnected it. We fitted the back cover on and then connected the charger again. Voila! The Nexus came up with the battery symbol and we waited for 15 mins while it charged. We then pressed the power button and it came to life as you'd expect. Relief! Charged it up some more and eventually got it wrapped up and made our way to bed.
Have you had a problem like this? Is it something that can be fixed with a software patch? Can you believe it? We couldn't. Probably no big deal to someone who's keen on rooting or tinkering generally but to us on Xmas eve and with limited knowledge about this kind of thing. Not good..
Someone from Asus/Google should have their ass kicked for this sort of stunt. Thousand of people with the same Micky mouse issue and nowhere to turn except friends on forums like these.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New year.. Alanandroid

gaijin82

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
I've had my N7 since they first came out in..... July? (16 GB).... and have never had an issue.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
That sounds like an absolute nightmare! I'm glad you got it sorted!

I got mine for Xmas as well and so far so good! A very happy lad! Apart from the fact I have a GQ Magazine aan LoveFilm subscriptions, both of which I was hoping to use on here but doesn't look like I can use either :( oh well, probably in the near future!

mvp4him3

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Hello Boys and Girls, Seasons Greetings to you all.. Bought 2 Nexus 7's for my kids in November as a Xmas gift. Purchased them through the UK Play store and paid about ?320's worth of hard earned money. Their old ipods were on their last legs and I thought buying the 2 N7 tablets was a better route to go down and you just seemed to get more for your money.
Everything was fine until Xmas eve. Yeah, Xmas ****ing Eve!! I'd been busy the previous weeks installing games and apps and the like so they would be ready for the Big day. No problems generally apart from the occasional having to hold the power button down for longer than you'd expect to bring the device back to life.. Xmas eve arrived and my wife was keen to get the goodies wrapped up and ready as you do. I decided to charge them both up one last time so they'd both be ready for the off so to speak. This is when the problem began. Noticed one of them kept rebooting and just seemed to be in a continuous cycle of booting up then shutting down. It just didn't want to charge! Don't know how you'd feel but you can imagine to our horror the thoughts of not being able to give one of our kids their Big prezzie on that special day. Anyway, decided to do the usual and started to Google the problem. Bearing in mind this was about 10pm on Xmas eve. Funny, not. And, wo and behold loads of people with the same issue. Pages of punters with the same hassle. Many of them saying they'd taken the back off the Nexus and reconnected the battery cable or some sort of button holding exercise to reset the damn thing. Eventually, we thought we'd go down the route of disconnecting the battery. So, with caution I slid my nail under the cover of the offending Nexus. Carefully pulling away the plastic until the back came away. With the help of another Google search to ifixit and pictures and video later my wife gently pulled the battery cable away and then reconnected it. We fitted the back cover on and then connected the charger again. Voila! The Nexus came up with the battery symbol and we waited for 15 mins while it charged. We then pressed the power button and it came to life as you'd expect. Relief! Charged it up some more and eventually got it wrapped up and made our way to bed.
Have you had a problem like this? Is it something that can be fixed with a software patch? Can you believe it? We couldn't. Probably no big deal to someone who's keen on rooting or tinkering generally but to us on Xmas eve and with limited knowledge about this kind of thing. Not good..
Someone from Asus/Google should have their ass kicked for this sort of stunt. Thousand of people with the same Micky mouse issue and nowhere to turn except friends on forums like these.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New year.. Alanandroid

We have actually had quite a few come through these forums with this issue. Some of it has to do with a fail root or something in that nature but a couple have been straight out of the package. I have had no problem with mine other than the random freezes lol. Other than that it runs smooth.

hiero

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
yup, I just replied to another thread, did you notice that the battery compartment was bigger than the battery? The adhesive they used to hold the battery in place isn't very strong. If you get another chance to open the back up, I'd fill the extra space with some wadded up paper or something of the sort to prevent the battery from knocking around in there.

alanandroid

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, we didn't notice any movement as far as the battery was concerned. Didn't even think the connection was loose. Our aim was just to disconnect the battery from the Nexus and it seemed to work.
Thanks..

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

gaijin82

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
I got mine for Xmas as well and so far so good! A very happy lad! Apart from the fact I have a GQ Magazine aan LoveFilm subscriptions, both of which I was hoping to use on here but doesn't look like I can use either :( oh well, probably in the near future!

Have you tried the zinio app?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
Like many others here I've only had mine a few days but so far so good.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois