Nexus 7 won't boot past the X logo

Julie Morarend

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
This worked!! I think you are my hero. I just got mine back from getting a new mother board 1 month ago. I've only had it since Christmas.

Thank you, thank you!! Everyone frozen on X try this.

mary e f

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
This worked for me.
1.If your tablet is on, power it off.
2.Press and hold Volume Up + Volume Down + Power button until the device powers on. You should see an image of an Android lying on its back.
3.Press Volume Down twice, until the screen says "Recovery mode."
4.Press Power to restart into "Recovery mode." You should see an image of an Android with a Red triangle after a few minutes.
5.While holding down Power, tap Volume Up
6.Use the volume down key to scroll to "wipe data/factory reset" and press Power to select it
7.Scroll down to "Yes - erase all user data" and press Power to select it.
8.After it says "Data Wipe Completed", scroll to reboot & press the power button to select it.

This totally worked for me!! Thank you so much. My Nexus died on me when its battery, well, died and after charging it it just did that whole Google, nexus X, shut down, repeat thing. I was worried I'd have to send it back in or worse, open her up and try to figure out how to pull the battery out. =( Now she's working fine though. Once again, thanks so much for this fix!!

dgeebee

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Get the official toolkit from Google @
https://sites.google.com/site/faqdroid/nexus-7/nexus-7-toolkit
open the Google nexus 7 toolkit 5.0.0
connect tablet to computer if not unlock select proper number to unlock then proceed...
hold power on up and down vol buttons to get into fast boot mode
choose option 9
then choose option 1 to download correct version select 2 to flash if you've already downloaded the correct version
IMPORTANT then select "NO" to keep all data intact Select yes to wipe to factory image
the toolkit will do the rest
it takes a bit be patient it will reboot to normal

Max1001001

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Is this is or is this ain't the answer:
adb devices
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot devices
fastboot reboot-bootloader
fastboot erase boot
fastboot erase cache
fastboot erase recovery
fastboot erase system
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-tilapia-4.23.img
fastboot flash radio radio-tilapia-1231_0.18.0_0409.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot format cache
fastboot reboot

I think userdata is the key to the thing.

bellecam76

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
This is the second time my N7 is stuck at the X logo. Got this in December - by end of January it locked up the first time - had to send it back to Asus. Now it happened again. Anyone have to send their N7 back to Asus multiple times? Curious if they have a lemon law type of situation.

I also had to send my nexus 7 back in Febuary because of the X. I was using mine tonight it started acting up booting me out of apps, so I restarted it and there it was agian the evil X. I tried
the factory reset but it's not working ... Looks like I might have to send it back again.

Joe Ray2

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
I tried that but the recovery mode displays only the android lying there with a caption saying "no Command" i tried the volume buttons but it just goes back to the X boot img.
(If anyone ever cares to read... idk but I was reading the warranty booklet it comes with and in part of it it says "Do not leave the Product connected to the power supply once it is fully charged and not turned on; some electrical items are not designed to be left connected to the power supply for extended periods of time.")<<< If anyone (like me; which I doubt) did this as well, then this is the source of the problem... no idea why ASUS decided not have this in bold. Specially for a person like me who turns off handhelds and leaves them charging for the night.

How long do you have to leave the Android img lying there before pressing the buttons?(no way to exactly time it but idk an estimate would be nice... :D)
Lol i'm an ***** for not noticing this is the 2012 Nexus 7 not the 2013 FHD version which is essentially the same just with a few tweaks to those with the FHD once you get to the Android laying on it's back press the power button and volume up and the recovery mode options will appear then factory reset to restore it which will obviously delete all previous data if not backed up somewhere prevsiouly.

Last edited: