Nexus 7 won't boot past the X logo

D Mac

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Today my Nexus 7 shut off because the battery died. So I plugged it in and left. When I returned it was on the Nexus X logo boot screen.

I now can't do anything. If I try to turn it off by hitting the power button nothing happens.

If I hold the power button for 20 seconds it just reboots back to the X logo.
If I hold the power button and volume up for 20 seconds it just reboots back to the X logo.
If I hold the power button and both volume buttons for 20 seconds it just reboots back to the X logo.

If I hold the power button and volume down for 20 seconds it boots into Bootloader.

From bootloader I have 4 options:

-Start: This just reboots back to the X logo.

-Restart Bootloader: This just refreshes the Bootloader but leaves me where I am.

-Power Off: This is the only way I can even turn my Nexus 7 off. But when I turn it back on it just boots back to the X logo.

-Recovery Mode: This just shows a android with his chest open with a red exclamation mark and it says "No Command". At that point I can only hold power for 20 seconds to get it to reboot to the X logo.

My Nexus 7 is completely stock.

What can I try? Any advice or ideas? TIA.

darkoman4

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issue. Returned it to Google and got replacement the very next day. 4.2 is really Google's biggest screw up so far.

clore482

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Getting this now...going to try your solution when I get back.

Does anyone know what causes this to happen? Mine happened literally overnight...it working fine before I went to bed. I haven't rooted or installed custom ROMs or anything.

valpd

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
This just happened to me today. I tried doing a reboot from factory settings, but it is stuck on the X screen. Has anyone found a fix?

hossam support

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
this happened to me 2 days ago and i'm still trying to solve this problem :(

i'm so disappointed .. there was no reason i didn't root or unlock or flash rom or any thing it was working so fine stopped working suddenly i rebooted it and stuck till now :(

i did factory reset but goes no ..

is there any easy way to fix it please help

this is my e.mail [email address deleted by moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

rmmyyz

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
This is the second time my N7 is stuck at the X logo. Got this in December - by end of January it locked up the first time - had to send it back to Asus. Now it happened again. Anyone have to send their N7 back to Asus multiple times? Curious if they have a lemon law type of situation.

sclarke624

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Yes it has happened to me twice, 32gb.
It is in for repair now. I have only been using it since January. First time it broke (stuck on the X) was February and this time just a week ago. Got mine from Currys in Littlehampton. Bloke in shop said he has three or four back doing the same. I just wish I knew what causes it cos then maybe it can be avoided. Mine isn't rooted. First time it came back the repair said flashed the csc image.

Jack Pearse

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Mine has the exact same thing. Just happened today, tried all the other options for fixing this problem to absolutely no avail. Factory reboots didnt work either, still wont load past the x.

I tried using that root toolkit thing you had a link to but cant seem to get it to work. Says you need to allow something on the nexus which, obv, i cant do because it wont load.

Can you help at all? Is there any step-by-step available or anything?

cheers

betheadultra

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
I can't go to the link you posted but I already registered. So where can I find that link? i really need help about this one.

My tablet is still in the X logo and can't go any further. It's not lagging or something because it's still working but it takes too long.

please help me.

thanks

kopking

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
same with mine. happened this morning. tried the hard reset but didnt work. just that stupid x logo all day. might have to return it on monday. I've had it 2 weeks

terich22

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
This worked for me.
1.If your tablet is on, power it off.
2.Press and hold Volume Up + Volume Down + Power button until the device powers on. You should see an image of an Android lying on its back.
3.Press Volume Down twice, until the screen says "Recovery mode."
4.Press Power to restart into "Recovery mode." You should see an image of an Android with a Red triangle after a few minutes.
5.While holding down Power, tap Volume Up
6.Use the volume down key to scroll to "wipe data/factory reset" and press Power to select it
7.Scroll down to "Yes - erase all user data" and press Power to select it.
8.After it says "Data Wipe Completed", scroll to reboot & press the power button to select it.