Would you be willing to pay more for a higher end Nexus 7 (2013 model)?

trainplane

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
The Nexus 7 is a pretty good device for $200 but you can tell Google and ASUS had to take out a few features to make it so inexpensive. If they were willing to make a higher end tablet, it would add maybe $75 to the price. Some things to consider adding:

1. A high res screen (~300 ppi). We have 5" phones that have 1080p screens so it can be done on a 7" screen. Also, a better contrast screen like the iPad mini.
2. A good rear camera. The iPad Mini has one and is often requested for the N7.
3. A hdmi or micro hdmi port.
4. A SD card slot. This is actually more Google not wanting you to expand memory than cost savings although it does save them a few bucks. Google wants you to pay them for their cloud.
5. Better speakers. Both the Nexus and iPad speakers are lame. I don't know how so many reviewers say they are good. Yes, you won't get very high quality speakers in a 7" tablet but I'm sure it can be better than what is there now.
6. Tegra 4 or Exynos 5 chip. This will likely come in 2013 models and they update the CPU/GPU every year anyway so it shouldn't add too much to the cost.
7. Better battery. Maybe even removable.

In 2013, we are likely to see more 7" tablets from ASUS, Samsung, Sony, Toshiba, and Amazon. If Google doesn't put out a high end 7" tablet, someone will. I'd be willing to pay an extra $75 or so to get the above. Would you?

HOLLYWOODANT215

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I would pay for it in a heartbeat....first 1080 tablet with rear facing camera I see myself buying

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I made a comment on g+ earlier today. I'd almost instantly buy one if it had spen functionality.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums.

If I have been helpful to you, please go to the store, buy a bunch of beer, and send it to my house.

Live2ride883

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't see myself needing yet another 7" tablet in a year. I purchased my Xoom 4G LTE on release day and it worked great when I got rid of it and picked up the N10. As for a rear facing camera, in my opinion it is useless on a tablet. I bet the one on my Xoom didn't get used 10 times.

I figure that the current generation of Nexus tablets should last at least 2 years if not more.

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
The only thing I'd like to see is a better screen (color, resolution, etc.)
I'd pay $75 more for this alone. All other things you listed are not important IMO, especially the rear camera. It's not like the camera quality would be good, so why bother

Paul Ronne

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Naw.... I bought it because it was what it is at the price I was willing to pay. And it gave me huge bang for buck. That is what made the nexus 7 so magical .

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I would pay for an mSD slot, an HDMI out port, front facing stereo speakers (like the N10) and the next gen Tegra soc. A higher res screen doesn't interest me much. A rear camera doesn't interest me at all.

-Suntan

trainplane

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Looks like everyone is split on what they want so it's impossible to make the " prefect" N7
There are rumors that Google is making an even lower end Nexus 7 with worse specs than the current one for $99. So multiple versions of the Nexus 7 could exist. Every added feature mentioned above will cost a little extra except the updated CPU/GPU since Tegra 4/Exynos 5 is expected to replace the Tegra 3/Exynos 4 anyway. So people who want a barebones Nexus 7 can buy current versions but if there is a market for more high end features, it then becomes a question of which things to add. Adding a iPad 4 quality rear camera adds maybe $15 to the BOM. Adding a 1080p screen is probably the most expensive, maybe $50 more. Adding a hdmi and sd card slot is just a few dollars. Better speakers maybe $10.

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't pay anything for a device without 4g. Apparently Google does not find 4g important

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I think 1080p is a bit overkill for a 7" tablet, I'd be happy with an incremental improvement in the screen res 1440x900 will do, higher resolutions just means you need a more powerful GPU to push to pixels to it, for little visible benefit.

HDMI would be nice as would a micro sd slot, and front facing stereo speakers, what would be cool is if they put a speaker in each corner and had the output adjust so you get stereo output in portrait and landscape.

Other than that I would like them to keep the price down, and putting in every feature under the sun would raise the price too much, the main reason I bought the Nexus 7 is because it was such great value.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

SithLord0498

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
I'd want the following:

Extended battery life
Improved screen resolution
Gorilla glass
Front stereo speakers

In that order too. Barely get 5.5 hours of active use out of this N7! Everything else is inconsequential to me. Didn't include processor because 1) this one runs just fine and 2) I imagine they'd upgrade it anyway.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't pay anything for a device without 4g. Apparently Google does not find 4g important

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

That's because worldwide 4g doesn't matter. Here in the us most markets are so saturated that it doesn't matter anyway. This is coming from someone who has lte

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

gonzo2186

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
1. A high res screen (~300 ppi). We have 5" phones that have 1080p screens so it can be done on a 7" screen. Also, a better contrast screen like the iPad mini.
I can agree with that since that while it is a great screen, it could be better. That being said, it isn't bad at all.

2. A good rear camera. The iPad Mini has one and is often requested for the N7.
Why do you need a rear camera? I see no benefit of that, unless you're one of those people who like taking pictures...with a tablet...Get a real camera or use the one on your phone. Useless hardware on a tablet IMO.

3. A hdmi or micro hdmi port.
Ok, yeah why not. It is useful.
4. A SD card slot. This is actually more Google not wanting you to expand memory than cost savings although it does save them a few bucks. Google wants you to pay them for their cloud.

You don't pay for anything really.
5. Better speakers. Both the Nexus and iPad speakers are lame. I don't know how so many reviewers say they are good. Yes, you won't get very high quality speakers in a 7" tablet but I'm sure it can be better than what is there now.

Get a decent set of headphones or use your speaker system. Bluetooth it up.
6. Tegra 4 or Exynos 5 chip. This will likely come in 2013 models and they update the CPU/GPU every year anyway so it shouldn't add too much to the cost.
7. Better battery. Maybe even removable.

Better battery? Maybe. Removable? No, Google is moving away from SD cards and removable batterys. You just have to get used to it.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc