Question about 4g/3g Nexus 7

Apav

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys, I'm planning on getting a Nexus 7, but I have 2 questions before I buy. First, I would like to know if this a good deal! I coworker is selling his 32GB Nexus 7 with wifi and mobile data (used very slightly but in mint condition). It has all the accessories and packaging, comes with a case, and a AT&T 4G Sim card never activated before.

All for $325. Is this a good deal? It really looks like it's a deal, but I don't know that much about the Nexus 7 to feel confident with purchasing it.

Also, I plan to root it to run emulators and play games with a PS3 controller. I have never rooted before so I'm a little scared! Will I still be able to use the 4G Sim card normally after rooting the tablet? Are there any side effects, like could I potentially mess up the tablet permanently? I assume since I'm getting it from my coworker it won't have a warranty.

Thanks! :)

Apav

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
Well yes, but without a case, and a 4G sim card. But still, I'm not quite sure this is a deal because I don't know much about the tablet!

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
It's 3G not 4G. And mine new from the play store with taxes and shipping was $334.12. Comes with the rapid replacement warranty and is new. So no, not a "good deal". Not a terrible one either, but I think somewhere in the 250ish range would be the only way I would consider it over a NEW one. Cases are cheap and I almost never use mine....

Apav

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
Oh, is it not 4G? For some reason i thought it was, and he said the Sim card was that. Okay, so let's say the Sim card is about $25, and the case about $40. So it's pretty much used+free case or brand new without one. Do they still have the play store $25 credit on buying this new?

Also, does rooting void the warranty?

cnguyen0320

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
Rooting will void the warranty but you can always unroot should you run into hardware issues. I would buy it new if i were you. The extra $30 you may spend to buy a case, sim is worth the it. Plus i think a sim is very cheap, AT&T actually gave me mine for free...

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Here's one on ebay for $275 with a nice case....

$(KGrHqVHJDMFCe4jkMqzBQyR)MhNmQ~~60_12.JPG

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
I think that's right, HSPA+ comparable to 4g I mean. At the Google store, 32gb 3g is $299, 32gb is $249 and 16gb is $199, which are the only models currently available. The 299 32gb version being the only one with 3g,....

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Oh, is it not 4G? For some reason i thought it was, and he said the Sim card was that. Okay, so let's say the Sim card is about $25, and the case about $40. So it's pretty much used+free case or brand new without one. Do they still have the play store $25 credit on buying this new?

Just saw this one, AT&T sim comes with it...free...

Teklock

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

The sim card comes with the tablet. You don't have to buy one.

Apav

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
Okay, this might be stupid question but this is what is stopping me from getting the 3G version. If I tether my Nexus 7 to my 4g smartphone, would it boost the nexus 7's speeds if I had the 3G version? Or would I only need the wifi version to tether it to my 4G smartphone?

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
I Don,t think you can use more than one connection at a time. And if you're going to teather it, you don't need the 3g. I don't need it either, but I wanted it just in case.....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

darkoman4

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
It is hspa + and it is 334 dollars if you were to buy it new. Shiping and tax. If he was to lower the price to say 300 dollars, I see no reason not to buy it. There are a lot of hit and miss with these tablets, I had to teplace it 3 times until I finally got one that is perfect. So if his is good one, get it. Tell him you want to make sure everything is fine with his tablet before you give him cash. And for warranty, since you can getbthese only from google, their replacement warrenty is excellent. If he is your good buddy, there should be no problem for him to return it to google for you if necessary.

MangoPowah

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Heads up:

Root isn't needed to play emulators. My N7 and 1X aren't, but I have PSX and N64 emulators running just fine. Not sure about controller though.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11