Got the Nexus 7 for xmas..some thoughts

bmoore0909

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

This is really just a post to all those considering buying a Nexus 7, but reading all of the "Problem" threads as I did before I received it.
I have been a google-loyal for about 4 years. I've owned 3 Nexus phones, a Galaxy S2, a Droid Charge, and a few 10-inch android tablets. This tablet is BY FAR the best android device I've ever owned. We all know android has it's quirks with lag and force-closes, etc...but I can honestly say this thing is buttery smooth. To be fair, I haven't had it long, but I've played/worked on it for a couple hours a day and have had 0 issues. I'm able to stream Youtube and Amazon Prime Instant videos with super smoothness and no real buffering. I've played some graphically intense games with 0 lag and it looks fantastic on the vibrant screen.
I also use it as a digital picture frame using the "daydream" option for when it's charging and on the side-table (this is the option my wife likes the most).
Facebook, Google+, podcast apps and all the other goto apps are fast and crisp.

I am SUPER happy with the Nexus 7, even though I've never owned a 7-inch tablet and didn't think I would like the small size. But It's easy to hold and is definitely big enough to read, navigate and play games.

Anyways, no real content here other than to say I've been a big android fan for a while, and I'm happy to report Google/Asus seems to have gotten it right with this one.

Last edited:

Rodzp

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I got mine for Christmas too and feel the same. I have an Ipad 3 currently and had a 10" android tablet in the past. I have found I really like the 7" size much better than the 10" I really did not think that would be the case but it is. I really like the Android OS better than iOS for sure.

sr2012

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Yup same experience here. Glad we haven't faced problems I wonder how Google will address the issues people have been facing.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

bmoore0909

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I really just hope they keep supporting it with new accessories/updates. There's no doubt a new Nexus tablet will come out this year, so I hope they don't forget about us

zero3187

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
I got one for Christmas and it was even better than I was hoping. The screen is so crisp and clear. The size of the screen doesn't even matter with how clear the text and how vibrant the images are. It is the best device, not just android, I have owned. My fiance loves it too she keeps stealing it from me to play angry birds! It lasts all day on a charge even after the angry bird sessions.

hoosiermama2799

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
I've had mine since August, and still love it. I've had no issues with mine and it has exceeded my expectations. Reading, videos, games, texting and surfing all work flawlessly.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Any issues with ota update? I got mine today and can't update

if you are asking about the update from 4.1.x to 4.2.x, it will load automatically whenever it gets around to it. Be sure to leave the Wifi and Sync toggles on and let it go into sleep mode vs power off. It is ok to have it set to turn off wifi during sleep. Mine took 4 or 5 days after the release of 4.2 to decide it was ready....who knows why.

bmoore0909

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Just follow the directions on installing flash in the last few posts of the FLASH sticky up top of this forum. You can use FireFox, Xscope and Dolphin if I recall but the particulars are in the thread.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...-before-posting-new-thread-about-flash-6.html

Once you have flash running you can use the browser connected to Prime just as you would on your desktop.

The only one that I was able to play full screen on was xscope. Costs I think $3. Others worked, but didn't ever go fullscreen

hoosiermama2799

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
I watch prime videos using Boat browser and flash. For some reason, if I click on the "watch in full screen" icon it never would work right, but if I double tap in the video, it goes to full screen just fine.

bmoore0909

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I did try to use BOAT, but couldn't get it fullscreen. Guess I needed to double-click...might've saved me $3 for xscope....Thanks!

Matt Fortunato

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I just manually installed the os worked like a charm. kinda disapointed i didnt go with the samsung galaxy s3 over the iphone, loving android! i love open os.

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I too got mine for Christmas and I must say it is an amazing device that is the perfect size! It has been an amazing experience reading books, playing games, and watching movies on the vibrant screen! The only issue I have had was a slight lag after the update to 4.2 but thanks to the forums I quickly found the solution (turn the background sync off in Google Currents). I must say Google really made an amazing device and if the next Nexus phone comes to Verizon I may just be inclined to purchase it!

bmoore0909

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I run CM on my phones, but here I really don't think it's needed on the N7 for me. I didn't even root. Got the 32GB, so I don't really need any extra space with an external drive or anything. When a need comes, I'll prolly root and do CM. But for now it's perfect.

Guidos Dad

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
My wife and oldest son got me my N7 for Christmas. I love it at much or more so than I hoped or thought I would. Got me the 32gig since I got about 5-1/2 gig of music to load on it. My VZ GN with the music on it and the apps I have, I have about 13 gig fee on it. I'm not into wanting to put my music in the cloud and streaming it so the 32g is good for me.

As soon as I'd booted it up and got my Google account set i it shortly ups dated to 4.2.1. I will say that I've had my VZ GN for a few months now and I'm really happy with it. Been a Verizon user for some time. The GN I got already rooted with a custom ROM on it and I put CM 10 on it when it became available and generally works nice and happy with it giving me the 4.1.2 experience, but after having my N7 for a bit, I'm loving how it runs with 4.2 and having it and getting first access to official android updates has really got me thinking more about switching to ATT just to get the N4 and going from Verizon service to ATT would be a hard switch for me.

Unless your a real android custom ROM geek who just loves messing with trying different stuff like that, and I guess I'm not, if you can have access to 4.2+ totally unadulterated, I see no reason for custom ROMs.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay