Get files off Nexus 7 onto to USB flash drive

quested

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
There has been a lot written about extending the capacity of the Nexus 7 using an OTG cable and USB flash drives and how to load files from the USB to the Nexus 7 BUT can you take photos stored on a Nexus 7 and transfer them via OTG to a USB flash drive. I travel a lot in remote areas without wifi and plan to use the Nexus 7 as a photo back up device but after I load up as many as I can on the Nexus 7, I would like to drop these off to a USB drive, if I can.

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Use Airdroid from Google Play Store. It uses wifi to connect PC website to your wifi phone or tablet. I just tried today and I was wondering able to download and upload files using my Nexus 7 and my Galaxy S3.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

indestructibleguy

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Use Airdroid from Google Play Store. It uses wifi to connect PC website to your wifi phone or tablet. I just tried today and I was wondering able to download and upload files using my Nexus 7 and my Galaxy S3.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Yes, that's true, and airdroid does an amazing job. But if you don't have a LAN to connect with, and you really want the files on a flash drive, then stickmount is Tue way to go. Or the media explorer thingy that was mentioned earlier. :D:thumbup:

*EDIT*

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...eysoft.nexususb.importer&hl=en&token=kKfK0CCk
This is what you can use without being rooted.
**GO MAKE SOMETHING HAPPEN**

sent from my N7, using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Nexus Media Importer is READ ONLY ACCESS to connected USB devices... FYI. And all read data must be piped thru NMI to a NMI selected destination app.

indestructibleguy

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Nexus Media Importer is READ ONLY ACCESS to connected USB devices... FYI. And all read data must be piped thru NMI to a NMI selected destination app.

Oh... My N7 is rooted, so i never had any need to try it. So stickmount is the only way to go?

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
So stickmount is the only way to go?

correct - unless there is another app/kernal/mod for rooted n7s out there equal to stickmount - i am totally clueless about all the alts available for the rooted crowd...so far ...muhahhahaha - just waiting until my warranty is tested well enuf for root.

indestructibleguy

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
correct - unless there is another app/kernal/mod for rooted n7s out there equal to stickmount - i am totally clueless about all the alts available for the rooted crowd...so far ...muhahhahaha - just waiting until my warranty is tested well enuf for root.

...what do you mean, 'until my warranty is tested' ?

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
equals ---- >> I will root my n7 after I run it for a few more months (it is only two months old) just in case I need warranty service since supposedly rooting voids the warranty. I don't really need all the bells and whistles provided by rooting at this point, so no rush for me. Soon tho.

indestructibleguy

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
equals ---- >> I will root my n7 after I run it for a few more months (it is only two months old) just in case I need warranty service since supposedly rooting voids the warranty. I don't really need all the bells and whistles provided by rooting at this point, so no rush for me. Soon tho.

Soon. ;) you'll get tired of stock, and then the fun begins.

**GO MAKE SOMETHING HAPPEN - I.Guy*

Nicole Koerner

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi, i just read all ur comments on the usb and nexus. I am trying to transfer photos, music and more from my nexus to the 8gb sandisk flash drive. i have no clue what rooting is. can u help me. i have been searching for answers for a while now. pls help;

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi, i just read all ur comments on the usb and nexus. I am trying to transfer photos, music and more from my nexus to the 8gb sandisk flash drive. i have no clue what rooting is. can u help me. i have been searching for answers for a while now. pls help;

I would highly recommend you forget about rooting. It doesn't really sound like the right course for your needs.

Instead, simply connect your Nexus 7 to your computer with the USB cable, and transfer your files to the computer, and from the computer to the flash drive. Or transfer directly to the flash drive that is connected to your computer. You'll use Windows Explorer to locate files and perform the transfers.

You can also use the free app AirDroid (https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s/details?id=com.sand.airdroid&token=FIKXi9JL) to transfer files wirelessly. You'll use your internet browser on your computer as the interface to interact with your Nexus 7. You don't even have to have your N7 with you after the initial setup. The interface is very intuitive, making transfers simple. Plus, it offers many other utilities, such as locating and locking your lost N7.

Alternatively, Nexus Media Importer (https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...om.homeysoft.nexususb.importer&token=wkOaSp6B) now has the ability to transfer files from the N7 to a flash drive. You do not need to be rooted. However, the flash drive must be formatted as FAT16 or FAT32 in order for that to work. You'll also need a cheap OTG USB cable, and the app itself is a paid app, so this isn't a free solution.

jpash549

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Nexus Media Importer is not free but it still is relatively cheap as I recall. You will need an OTG cable to use the Nexus 7 USB OTG feature and you may have to order this on line say from Amazon where you will see a choice for a few dollars. Good idea to plan ahead since some are from Hong Kong and take several weeks to arrive. Good idea to add this feature to the N7 and will allow you to store a lot of files on flash drives for offline use and reducing the clog on your N7 memory.

From my N7 or BBPB or HPTP or HP Laptop

Paul Atroshenko

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi, Just bought a Google Nexus 10 and have started to get familiar with it. I read your comments on this thread and I bought the Nexus Media Importer. I had already bought an OTG. As far as I can tell, when I connect a USB stick to the tablet, I only have read permission. Is there some way I can transfer photo files from the Nexus to an attached USB stick? Or is that utterly impossible?

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Hi, Just bought a Google Nexus 10 and have started to get familiar with it. I read your comments on this thread and I bought the Nexus Media Importer. I had already bought an OTG. As far as I can tell, when I connect a USB stick to the tablet, I only have read permission. Is there some way I can transfer photo files from the Nexus to an attached USB stick? Or is that utterly impossible?

Couple of questions - are you using Connect as Export in the NMI menu? Is your stick formatted FAT32 (only supported format for writing)?

Paul Atroshenko

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I am using a stick formatted FAT32. No problem reading files. Movies play well from USB stick so I don't have to import the movie files onto the Nexust itself. They simply disappear when the USB stick is unplugged. I can't see any sign for "Connect as Export" in the NMI menu. The dialog box says that the USB stick is Read Only. No mention of write privileges.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz