Android newbie having Nexus 7 wifi authentication problems

Heidi Dugan

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm new to Android devices, so I'm hoping I'm just missing something simple ...

My Nexus 7 tablet connected just fine to my unsecured home wifi as well as to the secured wifi at a vacation home over the holidays with the supplied password. Unfortunately I have no details about that network at my disposal.

Recently I've tried to connect to a friend's Comcast cable modem wifi and to my local community theatre's secured wifi. Both are wpa/wpa2 psk secured and I've double-checked the passwords multiple times. Both don't connect. The tablet either says "authenticating" seemingly forever until I give up manually, or sometimes eventually says "authentication problem." I have forgotten and tried again numerous times with both networks. I have shut down and restarted the tablet. I don't have router/network access to these, so I'm hoping there's more things I can try with my device in order to connect.

Again, I'm moderately tech savvy, but very clueless about Android capabilities, settings, etc. So, please talk to me like I'm stupid and be as detailed as possible. :)

--Heidi

MarkCNY

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm experiencing the same problem, with only one of my (4) Access Points here at home ( that one is a Linksys WAP54G) . It gets quick wireless connection on the Apple Airport Express, Aruba RAP-3, and the Linksys WRT160Nv3 router. When I try to force it to the AP in my office it gets stuck in "authenticating" until it times out and backs off to a farther-away AP. The others are secured using WPA2, while the WAP54G is suitably old enough to only have WPA....I've been through the settings several times, but no changes. Including upgrading the firmware on the WAP54G...... Any Ideas?

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
A few things to try.

Be sure you are entering the password correctly. Password are case sensitive.

Verify from your friend that their WiFi allows unknown client to connect.

Make sure your friend's WiFi has dhcp enabled so you can get an address.

Try to connect with another device such as a phone or laptop.

Jerry

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Try turning off NFC. With the Jellybean 4.2.1 update, NFC is turned on by default. Go to Settings> more> and uncheck the NFC box. This has worked for many.

Amy Romero

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
I just bought a Nexus 7 today, and what a pain in the tush! What worked for me was to manually enter your network name/SSID and the password.

eldon hilaire

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Re: Android newbie having Nexus 7 wifi authentication problems-( SOLVED)

i had the same problem. this is what i did. go to your wifi setting using internet explorer and select g only for your router. i know its kinda backwards and slow but it worked for me. you need to disable your security and it should work. its liking giving free wifi but its a risk u will have to take to make your device work. let me know if this works for you.

tinabina22

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I am having the exact same issue, I have an Irulu tablet pc and my own wireless router but I can not connect to it. I have a laptop and a kindle and they had no problems connecting. I have reset the whole unit, I have canceled and forgotten the connecting and tried and tried and tried again to no avail. Authenticating just sit's there? My router is a netgear, I know my password is correct, what else can I do?

hoodoo1966

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
"I just bought a Nexus 7 today, and what a pain in the tush! What worked for me was to manually enter your network name/SSID and the password."

This also what worked for me. Thanks. Samsung Galaxy Discover.

chazs1944

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Simple solution -- at least for me.
When i tried to connect to my network, Nexus 7 went straight to trying to connect, without asking for a password. I simply pressed the "+" icon at the top of the screen. My tablet then showed the network name that i had been trying to connect to and asked for the password. When I entered the password, it immediately connected. PROBLEM SOLVED -- again, at least for me

Sophie Gilbert

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
i found a fix, i am using a bthomehub2

I simply logged onto the router and changed my password from WPA/WPA2 to WPA2 only with a new password. That worked for me. Good luck

If you need any step by step "how to's" let me know.

Last edited:

supert1020

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm new to Android devices, so I'm hoping I'm just missing something simple ...

My Nexus 7 tablet connected just fine to my unsecured home wifi as well as to the secured wifi at a vacation home over the holidays with the supplied password. Unfortunately I have no details about that network at my disposal.

Recently I've tried to connect to a friend's Comcast cable modem wifi and to my local community theatre's secured wifi. Both are wpa/wpa2 psk secured and I've double-checked the passwords multiple times. Both don't connect. The tablet either says "authenticating" seemingly forever until I give up manually, or sometimes eventually says "authentication problem." I have forgotten and tried again numerous times with both networks. I have shut down and restarted the tablet. I don't have router/network access to these, so I'm hoping there's more things I can try with my device in order to connect.

Again, I'm moderately tech savvy, but very clueless about Android capabilities, settings, etc. So, please talk to me like I'm stupid and be as detailed as possible. :)

--Heidi

Are you still having problems Heidi?

Posted via Android Central App

Chris Dunne

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Hello! I had the same problem with connecting to my home router. I tried again and again naming the wireless and typing in the router password. By chance I tried the wireless key instead of the password and it worked immediately! I have a Thomson router. Hope this is some help.

wellheld

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
Thanks thanks thanks, entering the wifi key worked, my new Nexus is now connected and so is my Kindle. I have a Vodaphone mobile wifi R207, bought today, if that makes a difference. :)

KnittinKityn

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
I had to do this too. When my N7 found my home network it was listed with the wrong encryption so I kept getting the "Authentication Error" messages too. The encryption it showed was "WPA2 (WPS available)" when my router settings were for WPA/WPA2 PSK. The only way I could get it to recognize the correct encryption was to manually set up the network connection on the N7 and selecting the correct encryption format.